Which Office Software Do You Use?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Yawner

Which Office Software Do You Use?

Post by Yawner »

As the release of MS Office 12 and OpenOffice 2.0 draw ever closer, Ive been wondering which products this community uses. Ive been using OpenOffice for a number of months now after evaluating my needs in an office product. MS Office is a seriously powerful product, but i and im sure 98% of users dont use it to even half its potential. So i said to myself instead of spending another £100 on it, why dont try out OpenOffice, works fine for what I need it to do. Wondering if others use other alternatives, i know theres StarOffice by Sun and many other alternatives..

Why do you use the one you do?

Yawnster

PS.. Please dont turn this into another MS Bashing topic..
Alan Kay : "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
Support the OpenDocument Format!

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

Microsoft Office,

Unlike most people, I use quite a few of the advanced features. Plus I love Outlook 2003, the best e-mail client I have ever used.

Excel is great for the engineering ad-ins, complex number support is great.

And I from time to time use access either because I need to, or I need a quick personal relational database done up for whatever reason. (An SQL Server is not always appropriate).

I also use Microsoft Visio and Project from time to time for various things. So you can say I'm a deeply rooted Microsoft Office user.

btw, Star Office shares the same code-base as Open Office ;)
The other alternative is Corel Wordperfect Office.

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 »

Microsoft Office XP, i just like this software, and for my studies i need it :)
I only provide support via the appropriate topics! Please no PM or mails! :)
My MODs :: [BETA] Facebook Connect

waffles

Post by waffles »

Office 2003, mostly because I already had it on my computer. Once I get something like this I keep it for a while. I just made the switch from '97.

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

Openoffice. I *used* to have Office XP installed, but we lost the CD and when I formatted the computer we lost it. But openoffice is good because instead of using office xp to create it then openoffice to edit it on 2 computers, I can use a common program without icky licensing issues

FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` »

I work in a quick printing shop (similar to Kinkos, though not nearly as awful) as typesetter/graphics designer/technician(and soon to be press operator!), and we get documents created in MS Word all the time. The interesting thing is, i'd estimate 75% of those do not open correctly in WordXP, but tend to be fairly usable when opened in OpenOffice.

In general, it seems a lot of the printing industry stays away from Microsoft products (especially publisher!). They seem to be more geared towards people who need a quick, "easy" way to make a sub-par document. Thus, all our shop's computers use OpenOffice when we absolutely must work from an OfficeXP file, since we don't need it enough to justify paying for it. We'd prefer a hardcopy over anything done in publisher. At least that way we know how the customer expects it to look, and no worries of changes by opening the same file on different computers.

And please don't start squealing "But Jake, that's because they didn't convert the text to curves/include fonts/blah blah". 90% of the files we get in are made by people who shouldn't be using a computer, and the other 10% are just getting there. It's not my job to teach them.

GO GO PDF.

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

I use MSOffice Professional 2003. It's great. I've tried out OpenOffice in the past, but I never liked it as much as MSOffice.

I use it because I know everything I need to be productive in it (and I know a lot of the functions and features present in the MSOffice apps, though not all of them yet), I shouldn't have any problems about importing or exporting files to school, I like its interface/theme (a pretty sheepish reason, but good nevertheless), and because I'm used to it. Besides, OpenOffice didn't have a program similar enough to MSPublisher, which I use a lot with school projects.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

Mikz0r

Post by Mikz0r »

Open Office 2.0 - it rox! I also use DIA for flowcharting.

zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK »

OpenOffice 2.0 and LaTeX.
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend

stu15

Post by stu15 »

Microsoft Office 2003
A Registered User > I maybe wrong...So please correct him :) || My Forum - Stu's phpBB Helpdesk

worldmaster0

Post by worldmaster0 »

MS Office 2003 or 2004, but I don't like it much.

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

I'd like to remind you this is general discussion, simply stating which you use will not cut it without some kind of review/justification/discussion of why etc...

xdarkday

Post by xdarkday »

I use openoffice.

Yawner

Post by Yawner »

smithy_dll wrote: I'd like to remind you this is general discussion, simply stating which you use will not cut it without some kind of review/justification/discussion of why etc...

Thanks Smithy..

More OpenOffice Users than i expected... im wondering what the reasoning behind the switches for people were.. as im sure that we all started off with MS Office at one time or another.. Do people just like OSS better than MS? Or are you all just tightwads like myself?

Yawnster
Alan Kay : "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
Support the OpenDocument Format!

waffles

Post by waffles »

I already had Office 2003 and saw no reason to switch. Thankfully I didn't, at least for now, because I can do my computer science work from the room now.

Return to “General Discussion”