Which Office Software Do You Use?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
corv89

Post by corv89 »

I absolutely despise MS Word since I wrote a really long document that had its layout completely disrupted. Things like images appearing several pages down or up...

Apart from that paying 500 euros for a bloated office suite seems mighty overpriced to me. Their backwards compatibility is a joke and there's hunderds of useless features but no PDF export.

OpenOffice isn't great: slow startup, no grammar check, somewhat weak spreadsheet. But generally speaking OpenOffice is better (especially considering the price).

However I hardly ever use anything other than a word processor. So I use AbiWord which I can recommend to anyone that wants: a grammar + spelling check, lean install + download, low system requirements, fast startup, opensource, opendocument import/export, doc import/export, equation editor... what more could you want?
worldmaster0

Post by worldmaster0 »

How long are we talking here?
SAK `

Post by SAK ` »

I been using Office 2003 lately and I am still trying to find out if there is anything better which I assume not.
The Serial AD Killa trademark is no more. 2003-2007
kishni

Post by kishni »

We used MS Office before and it was really easy to use but we had to switch to OpenOffice because of licensing issues and the hassles of registering each unit.
Yawner

Post by Yawner »

Oh yeah, if anyone is considering switching over to OpenOffice then there has been a few helpful tutorials setup to help you out with the various tasks..

Enjoy.. Yawnster
Alan Kay : "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
Support the OpenDocument Format!
Ska4Christ

Post by Ska4Christ »

I use Microsoft Office 2003. It is on all of the computer's in all of the labs at my university, and on the computers in the classrooms. (Basically, it's everywhere.) When I got a new laptop, it had Wordperfect, but I really needed MS Office for compatibility, and also because you always end up doing a PowerPoint for presentations at school. They sell it in the university bookstore at an educational discount for students/staff/faculty, so I grabbed it there last year. :wink:
Grace and Peace,
Todd 8-)

“Fight like a man, scriptures in hand!” – The O.C. Supertones
corv89

Post by corv89 »

I can get along fine with OpenOffice + it didn't cost me a thing :)
Brent C. Stevens

Post by Brent C. Stevens »

Anyone remember the days when Corel Wordperfect was THE word processor to have?

I'm on Office XP Pro with Frontpage. I actually use Frontpage a lot for getting the basic structure going, rather than Dreamweaver. Don't really know why, it's probably more user-friendly perhaps. Come to think of it, I can see why Adobe bought out Macromedia, the software is fiddly and not user-friendly.

I'm looking forward to the new Microsoft web software suite. No doubt it'll be simple to use, and deliver the correct content.

As far as Office goes, I use all the tools apart from Outlook, for some reason I prefer Mozilla Thunderbird.
corv89 wrote: Apart from that paying 500 euros for a bloated office suite seems mighty overpriced to me. Their backwards compatibility is a joke and there's hunderds of useless features but no PDF export.

I agree that it is over-priced. They don't have .PDF export because it's a software technology that their competitors made, and they don't want to promote it. You can however get office PDF export plug-ins, try looking in a search engine for one. I have one that exports the other way. It OCR reads PDFs and then creates a word document from it.
yoopercam

Post by yoopercam »

I use Open Office on my Linux boxes, but use MS Office 2003 on my Windows computers because that's what my company uses. I also agree with the above posts, MS Frontpage is great for doing initial layouts but it dosn't support php pages as a WYSIWYG editor, so it's pretty much notepad once the initial layout is done.
Lord of Shadows

Post by Lord of Shadows »

Office 2004 for the Mac
spam removed.
txuspe

Post by txuspe »

Wyr!H@x!mu$
Name: Cees-Jan

Post by Wyr!H@x!mu$ »

txuspe wrote: Both Microsoft Office 2003 and OpenOffice.org 2.0.

Regards :wink:
Same here :). M$ at work and OO at home ^^.
chainreaction2009

Post by chainreaction2009 »

txuspe wrote: Both Microsoft Office 2003 and OpenOffice.org 2.0.

Regards :wink:

care to explain as to why you are running both? Testing purposes? Which one would you prefer though?

I think after experimenting with OPEN OFFICE program, I just prefer MS Office better, I have used it through my high school life, and well in my current job now, what would be the point using an entire different Office Suite? So I just stick with Office 2003 for the sake of my uni & tafe days i have left and of course my job.
Leaving New York never easy R.E.M
txuspe

Post by txuspe »

chainreaction2009 wrote: care to explain as to why you are running both? Testing purposes? Which one would you prefer though?

That's right: testing. :wink:
nblythin

Post by nblythin »

I use OpenOffice 2.0 on three of my four computers. On the other I use Star Office. They are basically the same, but Star does a better job at converting some M$ office files (esp. spreadsheets that contain macros).

Return to “General Discussion”