Are these people obsessive?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
nuckfan15
Name: Travis

Are these people obsessive?

Post by nuckfan15 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:15 am

CNN wrote: Johannah Faith Duggar was born at 6:30 a.m. Tuesday and weighed 7 pounds, 6.5 ounces.

The baby's father, Jim Bob Duggar, a former state representative, said Wednesday that mother and child were doing well. Johannah's birth was especially exciting because it was the first time in eight years the family has had a girl, he said.

Jim Bob Duggar, 40, said he and Michelle, 39, want more children.

"We both just love children and we consider each a blessing from the Lord. I have asked Michelle if she wants more and she said yes, if the Lord wants to give us some she will accept them," he said in a telephone interview.

The Discovery Health Channel filmed Johannah's birth and plans to air a show about the family in May.

The Learning Channel is doing another show about the family's construction project, a 7,000-square foot house that should be finished before Christmas. The home, which the family from the northwest Arkansas town of Rogers has been building for two years, will have nine bathrooms, dormitory-style bedrooms for the girls and boys, a commercial kitchen, four washing machines and four dryers.

Jim Bob Duggar, who sells real estate, previously lost his bid for the U.S. Senate. He said he expects to run for the state Senate next year but isn't ready to make a formal announcement.

Michelle Duggar, 39, had her first child at age 21, four years after the couple married.

Their children include two sets of twins, and each child has a name beginning with the letter "J": Joshua, 17; John David, 15; Janna, 15; Jill, 14; Jessa, 12; Jinger, 11; Joseph, 10; Josiah, 9; Joy-Anna, 8; Jeremiah, 6; Jedidiah, 6; Jason, 5; James, 4; Justin, 2; Jackson Levi, 1; and now Johannah.

Are these people being obsessive? 8O And with todays day and age, 16 children seems a little drastic. How in the world could someone afford this nevermind live with 16 kids?
Last edited by nuckfan15 on Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Travis aka Nuckfan15 - No Private Support
Make use of the Support Request Template when seeking support.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:19 am

You can have even more kids if you're polygamous. Some of the Mormon extremists have had huge numbers of offspring, and I believe Bin Laden has something like 56 kids. I don't know why some people feel compelled to have so many kids.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Fubonis

Post by Fubonis » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:42 am

I love birth control because I hate using condoms.
phpBB, more like idon'tlikeyouorwhatyoupostedsoi'lllockyourtopicandthendeleteitBB m i rite???

IP-Dope

Post by IP-Dope » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:38 am

I think that's madness..How the hell can you manage that? It would drive me crazy after only a couple of weeks, Im sure.
Plus I can think of much better ways to spend all that money..

SilverSnake8

Post by SilverSnake8 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:15 pm

i can see my ex. being that lady 30 years from now.
Yea, so I don't like Bush! :P

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes.
That way, if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away ... and barefoot."

xdarkday

Post by xdarkday » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:26 pm

Fubonis wrote: I love birth control because I hate using condoms.
hahaha

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:15 pm

Well at least they are home schooling these kids and not putting the burden of paying for their "TEAM" to get an education. I'm all for free education, but these people are extremely absurd. I have to admit though after living in a house with one bathroom that house they are building with nine bathrooms would be nice. Lets just say I've used the front porch in a few extreme cases.
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:48 pm

It's amazing how everyone says "oh it's insane" or "it's not possible to raise that many". It's quite the opposite rather.

My mom and dad split when I was 3, but got back together when I was 9. From that time on, they had a new kid almost every year (8 more, to be exact, I also have an older brother from my Dad's first marriage). Also, me and my younger siblings all share names beginning with J, in fact, my parents took it a step further. Allow me to demonstrate.

Johnny Jacob Skipper (meh)
Johnny Judah Skipper
Joanna May Skipper
Johnny Josiah Skipper
Johnny Jasher Skipper
Johnny Joshua Skipper
Johnny Joseph Jireh Skipper (woah)
Janoah Rene Skipper
and Julia Faye Skipper

Yes you are right, it creates utter and complete hell for all the boys to have the initials JJS, not to mention the same first and last name. Don't ask me why they did it, they are just stupid that way. But it is an odd coincidence these people went with the all J theme too. Crazy.

Anyway, back to what I was saying. When you have that many kids in the house, it greatly changes the way your family does things, but not in a negative way. For the most part, I would say the people that do have these extravagant amount of children are by far some of the most loving parents out there. So many say "why do they do this, the children won't get enough attention!"; lies, LIES I say. :)

Another odd thing in my experience of living 10 years with a lot of children, is the calmness. I've found that an "only child" can drive me up the wall 10 times faster than a "baseball team" of children. Somehow it calms them down. They don't excite easily.

Anywho, it's not bad at all. This coming from someone who has changed well over 7,000 diapers. :P

Don't believe that last line? I lived and help raise that many kids for 10 years. On average, I changed 3 diapers per day.

3 * 365 = 1,095
10 * 1095 = 10,950

I knock off 4,000 just to be fair to the few days I got by without changing any.

T-Y-F

Post by T-Y-F » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:35 pm

I don't see anything wrong with having a lot of children, though its not my cup of tea.

I would rather see a loving couple raise 16 kids in a stable family than an unbalanced couple raise one in an unstable home.

Good luck to them.

ZoliveR
Former Team Member

Post by ZoliveR » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:50 am

wtf! 16 births in 17 years! so she's 38 now, still 15-20 years before she couldn't not make kids anymore... So if she made 16 kids in 17 years of time, how much will be the number when she will have 60 years old! It's already difficult to handle 4-6 children, what about 16? It's not a family, it's a business! Buy clothes, food, school affairs, it's not simple I suppose. How much would be in the earth if all of us could make 15 children in 20-30 years of time!
No more Team Chocolate Member. I decided to leave, it's my choice. Thanks to all for all these years.
I'm always near if you need news of me. But no more support is given (private notification disabled)

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:26 am

If you notice from the interviews they've given, their is a sort of military order among the children. Nothing un-natural, but the the worst I saw out of even the youngest was he was standing with feet in place only slightly squirming without making noise. Most likely was just uncomfortable with the cameras. As for food and clothes, he has a fairly successful real estate business going so money isn't a problem. The market in ROGERS, AR is a high dollar housing market in Northern Arkansas were a lot of the big money companies and people live. Shopping should be fairly good since they probably try to keep to a set shopping list. I mean send them out in groups to help shop. Make sure the oldest ones approve any aquisitions that the younger ones try and put in the basket and it should go quickly. As for clothes it should probably be easy to break them into seperate groups and go shopping. Four groups of four should be fairly easy.
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:15 am

Anyone else but me notice that absolutely non of the responses so far, or even the first post, have anything to do with the question which is the thread's title?

Anyways, that's quite a lot of kids. Sort of an odd couple in a way I find actually. I mean, they got married at the ages of 17 and 18, and just started reproducing like rabbits shortly thereafter. When you consider how tough things are usually for young couples who have just one or two kids at such a young age, the fact that they were able to become financially stable enough to able to raise 4 kids before the age of 25 is quite remarkable.

Still, don't really agree with it. I mean, it makes the children seem like more of a collection. I mean, if they have such a love for children as they say they do, imagine how loved some kids would feel if they only had 2 or 3. They'd be getting super-duper love.

Still, she must be quite a strong women. I'd guess that having that many kids in that short of time would be quite physically draining.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:31 am

With 6 billion people in the world, is it really wise for couples to be producing that many kids? I think there's something to be said for discouraging that kind of extravagant reproduction.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

nuckfan15
Name: Travis

Post by nuckfan15 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:02 am

Magnotta wrote: Anyone else but me notice that absolutely non of the responses so far, or even the first post, have anything to do with the question which is the thread's title?

Fixified. :wink:
Travis aka Nuckfan15 - No Private Support
Make use of the Support Request Template when seeking support.

T-Y-F

Post by T-Y-F » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:27 pm

Darth Wong wrote: With 6 billion people in the world, is it really wise for couples to be producing that many kids? I think there's something to be said for discouraging that kind of extravagant reproduction.

If we all done it then it would cause problems. But its not like this rate of reproduction is common.

Return to “General Discussion”