What way of hosting do you use.

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
war-hawk

What way of hosting do you use.

Post by war-hawk »

I was wondering what people use to host their phpbb forum.

I for instance have built my own server to host it all since I didn't feel like paying money for one. I know there are many down sides to it like power consumption, bandwidth, etc, but you have more control over everything.

I know there are also many pros to paying for a host like if something goes wrong, you can go and have them fix it.

What do you use to host your forum and why?
My Computer Help Site | Also known as Burian
No Support PMs Please UNLESS its about one of my mods!!!
THAT MEANS CONTACT THROUGH AIM AND MSN

My Mods| Member Area | Form to Post | User Message| Forum/Topic Ban |

mshiznitzh

Re: What way of hosting do you use.

Post by mshiznitzh »

war-hawk wrote: I was wondering what people use to host their phpbb forum.

I for instance have built my own server to host it all since I didn't feel like paying money for one. I know there are many down sides to it like power consumption, bandwidth, etc, but you have more control over everything.

I know there are also many pros to paying for a host like if something goes wrong, you can go and have them fix it.

What do you use to host your forum and why?

I just used the cheapest host I could find. I did this because I wasn't sure the site would have many users and I just wanted to learn. Less than a year later I have 300+ users and kind of wish I had a in house server.

If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost to build and what is up keep like on it.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

As my board evolved so did my hosting. I started on a shared hosting account that allowed 20GB of bandwidth per month. We used that for a year. I then moved to a cheap dedicated host (Celeron CPU, 1GB of RAM) that worked for the next year. At that point we started experiencing issues (often had 100 or more concurrent sessions) so I moved to more robust server.

I currently pay for a dual CPU server with 4GB of RAM. The board pays for the server via advertising. Based on the numbers that I track (I capture the total number of active sessions to a database table every five minutes for monitoring purposes) I regularly support over 200 concurrent sessions and have on occasion had over 400 concurrent sessions. Note that these are not always users; when google comes to visit it spawns a couple of hundred sessions all by itself.

Upside of paying for a host? I don't lose sleep at night wondering if the hardware is up and running. The downside? I have to pay for it. But in my opinion, the amount I pay is appropriate given that I don't have to worry about keeping a connection up. When I have advertisers paying for banner space, the board needs to be up 24x7.

I briefly considered hosting myself. It didn't last long. :-) By moving to my current host before I needed to I gave myself room to grow. I expect that the current hardware I'm using will last for at least another year. At that point I'll set up a cluster with the database on one server and the web server / phpBB code on a second server. I look forward to the day when my board is busy enough to require that. :-)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

ozonew4m

Post by ozonew4m »

I have two comps connected to the net. I use one for general use and one as my server to host my site,forum,blog etc.. It took a while to setup so that i can access the server locally as well as via the internet but now i wouldnt have it any other way.. it makes life soo much easier..

the server is running on a very old pentium 2 machine running win98 but it copes really well. admittedly ive only just put it online but had no major probs so far..

i cheated setting the server up using apache2triad which installs apache, php,mysql and a few other bits n bobs but why struggle when theres no need..

If my server does get overun theres no reason why i cant transfer to a web host as and when necesary

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk »

I run a small 1.8Ghz Celleron w/ 512mb Ram and Running CentOS 4.2. My site is very small, but I can afford the small server right now, and its good experience :) So far I know, and understand, how most of basic functions on a linux system. IF only my internet provider supported linux ....
i cheated setting the server up using apache2triad which installs apache, php,mysql and a few other bits n bobs but why struggle when theres no need..

It's much more staisfying to install and customize everything that goes into the server, then just slapping something down :)
I briefly considered hosting myself. It didn't last long.

Unless you go the full 10 yards, and start a proper buissness, your right, its not work it :\

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

I have a friend with a powerful server

I think that says enough :)

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk »

Swizec wrote: I have a friend with a powerful server

And that contributes to the topic .... how ?

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

I *used* to use free hosting. That was fun. Now I've moved on to a regular paid host. It isn't much (only 100mb of space and 8gb of transfer) but it dosen't have to satisfy much.

I was considering buying a VPS that would have 128mb RAM and 2gb hard disk, but it only had 5gb transfer, and would be overkill, so I opted to get shared hosting. It's actually a small company, so there's no difference in speed or reliability between the shared hosting and the VPS I tried :)

sempai

Post by sempai »

I have been using a free hosting service for more than four years now. Although it had server issues restrictions, I stayed there because I think they are one of the few free hosting services that gives a database to it's users. Image
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure Fan Site
http://dualfans.host.sk

j007jim007

Post by j007jim007 »

I currently use a free host. I am in the process of sealing a sponsor so will be moving to a pay per month host. Does anyone have any reccomendations? i would probably be moving 10 small web sites with me as well as my current web site host is unreliable.

Regards

Rapid Dr3am

Post by Rapid Dr3am »

I have all my hosting on the one server, with [spam]. They are pretty reliable, and give me all I need. I considered running my own server, I have IIS and SQL Server running at home (SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition). I mainly use that for drag and drop from University. I decided a webhost was best because they can maintain the server for me, and I have to do well nothing.

ipb vs.phpbb

Post by ipb vs.phpbb »

Thanks alot sempai for putting you site in your sig! I just registerd ofr host.sk!
All the world is green or blue, so what would that make the world?

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

phantomk wrote:
Swizec wrote:I have a friend with a powerful server

And that contributes to the topic .... how ?

The topic is about what kind of hosting we use right?

well I use my friends powerful server... seems ontopic to me...

war-hawk

Re: What way of hosting do you use.

Post by war-hawk »

mshiznitzh wrote: If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost to build and what is up keep like on it.

Free besides internet acess and power. I took an old comp and installed FC3 on it.
sempai wrote: I have been using a free hosting service for more than four years now. Although it had server issues restrictions, I stayed there because I think they are one of the few free hosting services that gives a database to it's users.

I used to use free web hosts, but could never find a good one. I did find one once, but it took away free hosting as soon as I got it up.
My Computer Help Site | Also known as Burian
No Support PMs Please UNLESS its about one of my mods!!!
THAT MEANS CONTACT THROUGH AIM AND MSN

My Mods| Member Area | Form to Post | User Message| Forum/Topic Ban |

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

I'll just remind people to not give out links to hosts they use, or websites that are on the host they use :)

Return to “General Discussion”