What way of hosting do you use.

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
jonlg_uk

Post by jonlg_uk »

With my first site i used a very reputable host ([spam]), however it did cost me quite a bit of money. For my second site i shopped around a bit and opted for a cheaper how which looked like it offered more for less money. However nothing in life is free and this is no exception since I have been with my new host (streamline) iv lost count on how many times my FTP has gone down and my site. I now wish i stuck with my orginal more reliable host. However i would never consider hosting my site off a private server because it is way to time consuming and i would end up treating it like a baby.
HTTP://www.OWNINGUP.com - online anonymous confessions
HTTP://www.Videosteal.com - Download videos from youtube, google and break.com
HTTP://www.poll-pal.com - Add a free online poll to your website, myspace, hi5 and more!

stu15

Post by stu15 »

I am currently use a free host :)
A Registered User > I maybe wrong...So please correct him :) || My Forum - Stu's phpBB Helpdesk

Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

A forum I moderated for a few years is on a dedicated server, and uses (im guessing by the package its on) around a TB of bandwith a month. He had some spare, so he was nice enough to give me some free hosting. I get around 50gb bandwith and 500mb space. However, it isnt really needed for my small forum, which 90% of the posts are by me anyways.
Andrew Charron || alexis support forum || Specializing in phpBB website template integration
Hurry up, my feash is siek.
AndrewCharron.com version 5 released!

nuckfan15
Name: Travis

Post by nuckfan15 »

I just use a very basic package as my forum is quite new, but as needed I will eventually upgrade through the packages.

I will never have a dedicated server, at most my forum would use less then a couple GB of bandwidth a month, its a fantasy league with about 30 users.
Travis aka Nuckfan15 - No Private Support
Make use of the Support Request Template when seeking support.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

I built a machine around an AMD 3000+ processor, 2GB of RAM, and a pair of 10k SATA drives, running Mandriva 64-bit Linux. I use this to host the forums, but I have the advantage of a 3Mbps symmetrical broadband connection. If I had a crappier Internet connection I might have to look elsewhere for solutions, but it would be costly. At last check, my forum was sucking down 50GB per month, and it needs the RAM and processing power of that rig, so I could never run it on a shared hosting solution or a VPS; it would have to be a full-blown dedicated server, and a fairly powerful one at that (not those cheap Celeron webservers you get at the entry level).
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

nuckfan15
Name: Travis

Post by nuckfan15 »

Darth Wong wrote: I built a machine around an AMD 3000+ processor, 2GB of RAM, and a pair of 10k SATA drives, running Mandriva 64-bit Linux. I use this to host the forums, but I have the advantage of a 3Mbps symmetrical broadband connection. If I had a crappier Internet connection I might have to look elsewhere for solutions, but it would be costly. At last check, my forum was sucking down 50GB per month, and it needs the RAM and processing power of that rig, so I could never run it on a shared hosting solution or a VPS; it would have to be a full-blown dedicated server, and a fairly powerful one at that (not those cheap Celeron webservers you get at the entry level).

And your ISP tolderates that amount of bandwidth usage? 8O
Travis aka Nuckfan15 - No Private Support
Make use of the Support Request Template when seeking support.

eskick

Post by eskick »

[SPAM] gives 500mb space 25gb bandwidth, adfree with cpanel so thats the best

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

eskick, don't do that again.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

ThE-UnknowN

Post by ThE-UnknowN »

For me, I migrated from a free site (which lasted about a year), to paid shared hosting (which lasted about another year) and than to a shared server (just me and a friend using it for our sites), to currently having my own dedicated server.

I hardly use much bandwidth / CPU cycles, so am using it for some other stuff as well (like running eggdrops and other assorted processes).

Am using maybe a couple of GBs of transfer per month and am just fooling around with it.

Before anyone asks, yes, am paying for it, and no, am not letting anyone have freebie accounts on it.

Server specs are :
AMD 2000 +, 256 mb ram, 40 GB HDD. Will get a better one as and when my needs grow.

Uptime now :
19:05:30 up 136 days, 1:11, 1 users, load average: 0.16, 0.12, 0.13

OS is Gentoo Linux.
http://www.chatvenue.com is finally taking shape.

war-hawk

Post by war-hawk »

someday I should upgrade my server...at the moment it has really bad specs, but its good for a board that no one uses except me (all my members stopped coming).

The specs are (im not 100% sure that they are these)
400 mghz PII
128 mb ram
8gb hd

pretty bad huh :D
My Computer Help Site | Also known as Burian
No Support PMs Please UNLESS its about one of my mods!!!
THAT MEANS CONTACT THROUGH AIM AND MSN

My Mods| Member Area | Form to Post | User Message| Forum/Topic Ban |

Newray

Post by Newray »

I use a cheap shared webhost that still gives much add-ons. phpBB works great and fast on their servers, so for now I'm happy with what I got. I don't know if I ever need a better one, if my board really gets that active..
The New Rayman - Now also invading the phpBB boards!

coberg

Post by coberg »

I use both (two forums on two different sites) with one on a shared hosting plan with a professional host and the other on my Linux Server in the "wiring closet" (my basement). The server is an Athlon XP 1800+ with 512 MB RAM and 120 GB to play with on a cable modem for connectivity. I don't notice a real difference in performance between the two, however I have a pretty specific crowd and don't get more than 20 or so posts in a given day.

MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

Mine is a Intel P4 3.0Ghz with 2 Gig of RAM and a 120gb HDD

Its hosted by me, as i have a 4Mbps internet connection. I 'spose if i had a bad internet connection then i might have to look elsewhere but for the moment thats all i need

Mark

Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty »

Started with free hosting about 5 years ago, then was hosted on my friend's server, then (about 3 years ago) bought reseller hosting and for last 3 years was using reseller hosting from different hosts.

As of few month ago I'm using managed VPS (for those who don't know what VPS is: its "Virtual private server". Its like mini dedicated server, but instead of whole server I have only a chunk of it sharing server with other VPS. Mine is quite powerful though. like entry level dedicated server. and costs about the same as entry level dedicated server).
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Re: What way of hosting do you use.

Post by 3Di »

war-hawk wrote: I was wondering what people use to host their phpbb forum.

I for instance have built my own server to host it all since I didn't feel like paying money for one. I know there are many down sides to it like power consumption, bandwidth, etc, but you have more control over everything.

I know there are also many pros to paying for a host like if something goes wrong, you can go and have them fix it.

What do you use to host your forum and why?

I'm very lucky, i friend of mine has gifted to me 2 Master Plans on his own server located in Germany, each plan includes a quite unlimited bandwidth (50GB).. 5 MySql 4.1 or PostgreSQL 7.4.6 DBs, disk-space 1GB, 200 mailboxes with aliases,
and....

Full Range of MIME Types
CGI Counter / Date / Time
CGIEMAIL (form-to-mail)
PHP4 & 5
Sun Java System ASP
Telnet / SSH
Frontpage 2002 Extensions
Support for SSI
Perl 4 & 5
Custom CGI
C, C++
GCC
OS-commerce
Full FTP access
99,9 % Uptime
Daily Back-ups
100 MBit, Redundant Network
UPS & Diesel Generator
24/7/365 Network Monitoring

why? :)

forgot to mention: Red Hat Linux
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
:studio_microphone: Premium extensions @ The Studio

Return to “General Discussion”