What way of hosting do you use.

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
sony1

Post by sony1 »

[BLEEP] will do just fine and it only cost around $95 per year.

kid_man

Post by kid_man »

Can you adwise some hostings wiht PHP&MySQL without ads if free. Or the some good hostings cheaper than 30$ year. :?:

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

nuckfan15 wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:I built a machine around an AMD 3000+ processor, 2GB of RAM, and a pair of 10k SATA drives, running Mandriva 64-bit Linux. I use this to host the forums, but I have the advantage of a 3Mbps symmetrical broadband connection. If I had a crappier Internet connection I might have to look elsewhere for solutions, but it would be costly. At last check, my forum was sucking down 50GB per month, and it needs the RAM and processing power of that rig, so I could never run it on a shared hosting solution or a VPS; it would have to be a full-blown dedicated server, and a fairly powerful one at that (not those cheap Celeron webservers you get at the entry level).

And your ISP tolderates that amount of bandwidth usage? 8O

Yes, they do. Commercial broadband connections often have very generous bandwidth allowances, and they don't blink an eye at 50 GB per month.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

sony1 wrote: [BLEEP] will do just fine and it only cost around $95 per year.

This thread is about which method of hosting you prefer. It is not for recommending webhosts. If it turns into a webhost recommendation thread, it will not last for much longer.

war-hawk

Post by war-hawk »

Darth Wong wrote:
nuckfan15 wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:I built a machine around an AMD 3000+ processor, 2GB of RAM, and a pair of 10k SATA drives, running Mandriva 64-bit Linux. I use this to host the forums, but I have the advantage of a 3Mbps symmetrical broadband connection. If I had a crappier Internet connection I might have to look elsewhere for solutions, but it would be costly. At last check, my forum was sucking down 50GB per month, and it needs the RAM and processing power of that rig, so I could never run it on a shared hosting solution or a VPS; it would have to be a full-blown dedicated server, and a fairly powerful one at that (not those cheap Celeron webservers you get at the entry level).

And your ISP tolderates that amount of bandwidth usage? 8O

Yes, they do. Commercial broadband connections often have very generous bandwidth allowances, and they don't blink an eye at 50 GB per month.

Did you also have to change your HTTP port? My ISP (verizon :( ) blocked port 80 so I had to change it to 2000. Also its dynamic
My Computer Help Site | Also known as Burian
No Support PMs Please UNLESS its about one of my mods!!!
THAT MEANS CONTACT THROUGH AIM AND MSN

My Mods| Member Area | Form to Post | User Message| Forum/Topic Ban |

adb22791

Post by adb22791 »

I use a Virtual Private Server, which runs pretty well, and is very easy to have upgraded. A bit more expensive than you're average shared hosting (well, reseller, since I host multiple sites), but well worth it in the amount of control you have.

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk »

I found VPS to have a bit more freedom to do what you want, but also found it to be just as slow as regular shared hosting, that's why I went with a moderately cheap dedicated server, because I am able to do anything I want, includeing upgradeing the kernel :)

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

war-hawk wrote: Did you also have to change your HTTP port? My ISP (verizon :( ) blocked port 80 so I had to change it to 2000. Also its dynamic

If your provider blocked port 80, they probably have terms of service which prohibit the operation of a webserver on your end. You should check your ISP TOS. My provider allows the operation of a webserver, and I checked this with them before signing up.

erk
Former Team Member

Post by erk »

I started on the free website space I had at my university. Very basic thing - without any datebase, just 50MB of space, php, cgi and flat files. Then I needed some server to host demo of my tool which requires MySQl or PostgreSQL, so I hosted it on few free hosts. Finally I make a deal and got it all under sponsored shared host in exchange of text-link. I got free domain (real top level one and not a subdomain) and I belive 500MB of space/2GB of monthly transfer (I'm using far less of it) with databases and all standard stuff. I'm using it already 2 years. I'm not moving to anything paid unless I got really heavy traffic or I will have to. This way I'm always few $ on plus with my page (of course if I don't count the time I dedicate to it :) ).
SurveyWorld.org
SAP AG is the evil version of Microsoft Corp.

cardude

Post by cardude »

I just use a few webhost. Right now I am mainly trying to learn everything, and my free host does fine because I have about 100 users.

The free host doesn't have ads and it doesn't meter their bandwidth of the space you take up on the server, but they do limit file sizes to 1 mb, which is fine for phpBB, but wouldn't be good for vBulletin or something.

Snapdragon

Post by Snapdragon »

I run my own webhosting company.

OC-12's are nice, but damn, you can't make any money in this business unless you use low end equipment and bulk sell. I don't believe in that, so I'll be broke for a few more years. 8)

war-hawk

Post by war-hawk »

I was thinking of renting a server and then start up my own hosting company, but I talked to someone who had and said that it is hard to make an income off of it.
My Computer Help Site | Also known as Burian
No Support PMs Please UNLESS its about one of my mods!!!
THAT MEANS CONTACT THROUGH AIM AND MSN

My Mods| Member Area | Form to Post | User Message| Forum/Topic Ban |

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

I always found the commercial webhost avenue to be a source of frustration when dealing with the peculiar requirements of a high-traffic phpBB board, which was the primary reason I went with self-hosting. It's just too easy for a phpBB board to vacuum up all the resources of a webserver, and the nature of the software (particularly the stock search system, which I modified for speed) is such that without very generous RAM allotments, a growing board will quickly slow to a crawl.

Even with a modified search system, the size of the searchtable indexes alone tends to consume a lot of memory, and most webhosts configure their MySQL daemons to have relatively low memory usage. Despite the low cost of RAM nowadays, most webhosts tend to have surprisingly little RAM installed on their webservers.

So the result is that with a typical shared-hosting or VPS hosting solution, I get far more disk space than I need, but a small fraction of the RAM I need, even for a midsize board (my own board has long since grown beyond the point where a shared or VPS solution was even vaguely practical).

MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

Darth, if you don't mind me asking, what ISP do you use?

Mark

Snapdragon

Post by Snapdragon »

war-hawk wrote: I was thinking of renting a server and then start up my own hosting company, but I talked to someone who had and said that it is hard to make an income off of it.

Posting a $13K loss for the year so far.

But the forums sure do run fast on RAID 10 with 4 GB of memory and a 4 GB fiber uplink! :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”