What way of hosting do you use.

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

MarkTheDaemon wrote: Darth, if you don't mind me asking, what ISP do you use?

Mark

It's a local wireless ISP. Its name would be of no use to you unless you live in Toronto.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Mut

Post by Mut »

I use dream host.

Click here

For $7.95/month you can get 4800MB of webspace and 120GB of bandwidth. Everyweek, your webspace increases by 40MB and your bandwidth limit increases by 1GB.

Good stuff, no?
http://www.rolleyes.net/forums - A site for general discussion, anime, game, tv, movies, fun articles, and more. Come by and become a member.

war-hawk

Post by war-hawk »

Mut wrote: I use dream host.

Click here

For $7.95/month you can get 4800MB of webspace and 120GB of bandwidth. Everyweek, your webspace increases by 40MB and your bandwidth limit increases by 1GB.

Good stuff, no?

hmmm whats
rewards.cgi?mut

....someone is getting an increase in services
My Computer Help Site | Also known as Burian
No Support PMs Please UNLESS its about one of my mods!!!
THAT MEANS CONTACT THROUGH AIM AND MSN

My Mods| Member Area | Form to Post | User Message| Forum/Topic Ban |

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk »

SPAMTASTIC

Good stuff, no?

Spamtastic....

@Darth Wong, how much do you pay for your wireless ISP ? Do you like wireless, do you notice any extra lag ? (no need to name the company, just curious on your experience.)

I do live in Toronto ;)

rockmonster666

why not

Post by rockmonster666 »

why cant we post about what hosts we use? thats what i came here looking for a recomendation on a host

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

It is classified as spam and is against our rules. This thread was intended on discussing how we host websites. www.webhostingtalk.com is the place to go as for where you host them

Wyr!H@x!mu$
Name: Cees-Jan

Post by Wyr!H@x!mu$ »

Click here

Good stuff, no?
Just wondering, do you also use the bandwidth and space or is it just some empty wasteland?

Myself I work for the company that hosts my website :).

Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty »

Wyr!H@x!mu$ wrote:
Mut wrote:I use dream host.

Click here

Good stuff, no?
Just wondering, do you also use the bandwidth and space or is it just some empty wasteland?

When you see such offer it means web host is overselling server resources. That host will put more clients on server than server can handle just to pay for server, and if they want to get any profit at all then they would put even more clients. So server will be slow for everyone and noone would really be able to use even tenth of promised resources. Stay away from such cheap hosts if you want your website to be online at least 23 hours a day.
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework

Wyr!H@x!mu$
Name: Cees-Jan

Post by Wyr!H@x!mu$ »

CyberAlien wrote:
Wyr!H@x!mu$ wrote:
Mut wrote:I use dream host.

Click here

Good stuff, no?

When you see such offer it means web host is overselling server resources. That host will put more clients on server than server can handle just to pay for server, and if they want to get any profit at all then they would put even more clients. So server will be slow for everyone and noone would really be able to use even tenth of promised resources. Stay away from such cheap hosts if you want your website to be online at least 23 hours a day.
Yeah I know :). But somehow it seems to work great for the hosting and people still faal for that trick :).

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

phantomk wrote: @Darth Wong, how much do you pay for your wireless ISP ? Do you like wireless, do you notice any extra lag ? (no need to name the company, just curious on your experience.)

I do live in Toronto ;)

I pay roughly $200 CDN per month. It's a corporate connection, not a home connection. And the performance is excellent; there is no technical downside to a wireless connection as long as you get a good one, and I have symmetrical bandwidth: not a small feature. But I know that's too expensive for a typical home connection; my home DSL connection is much cheaper.

Mut

Post by Mut »

CyberAlien wrote: When you see such offer it means web host is overselling server resources. That host will put more clients on server than server can handle just to pay for server, and if they want to get any profit at all then they would put even more clients. So server will be slow for everyone and noone would really be able to use even tenth of promised resources. Stay away from such cheap hosts if you want your website to be online at least 23 hours a day.

Uhh... that's wrong. I use a very lage portion of the space and bandwidth I'm offered and I've never had ANY down time. Dreamhost is a VERY good webhost. Please don't badmouth something without knowing anything about it.
http://www.rolleyes.net/forums - A site for general discussion, anime, game, tv, movies, fun articles, and more. Come by and become a member.

lets.alfamoon.com

Post by lets.alfamoon.com »

I have a free hosting and i like it :)

Very good speed but in the future wanna pay hosting

p3980

Post by p3980 »

I use my own server, which I'm on right now :D
Support Request Template <> Knowledge Base<>starfoxtj's Admin Toolkit
Member of the Unofficial Forum for phpBB.com Supporters

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Mut wrote:
CyberAlien wrote: When you see such offer it means web host is overselling server resources. That host will put more clients on server than server can handle just to pay for server, and if they want to get any profit at all then they would put even more clients. So server will be slow for everyone and noone would really be able to use even tenth of promised resources. Stay away from such cheap hosts if you want your website to be online at least 23 hours a day.

Uhh... that's wrong. I use a very lage portion of the space and bandwidth I'm offered and I've never had ANY down time. Dreamhost is a VERY good webhost. Please don't badmouth something without knowing anything about it.

Your forum has only 1643 posts in it as of today. I seriously doubt that it's putting much of a load on their server, and the server load associated with heavy DB access is much different than the server load associated with simple static webpage serving.

Mut

Post by Mut »

My forum isn't what's using up the bandwidth, buddy.

Return to “General Discussion”