Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:54 pm

Darth Wong wrote: I tried to watch the first HP movie and stopped halfway through because I found it totally uninvolving. But apparently I'm the odd man out on this one, because the HP series is wildly popular.

Try watching 3 or 4, the first two were directed Chris Columbus and were visually boring and too hollywoodish tame. But 3, directed by Alfonso Cuarón (who is mostly known for the incredbile Y tu mamá también) and 4, by british director Mike Newell - both working outside of the Hollywood system - combined with darker book templates, are great movies. Especially because they don't fall into the trap of getting every little subplot from the books in the movie, but concentrate on the main storyline, which makes them a lot more focused that what the first two had to offer.

wizard james

Post by wizard james » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:49 pm

yes, but some of he subplots were needed... if i never read the book..i would be wonding wth is going on.

it was alittle slow.

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:57 pm

I loved #4, best one so far, as dhn already said, the first 2 were not that good.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:12 pm

dhn wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:I tried to watch the first HP movie and stopped halfway through because I found it totally uninvolving. But apparently I'm the odd man out on this one, because the HP series is wildly popular.

Try watching 3 or 4, the first two were directed Chris Columbus and were visually boring and too hollywoodish tame. But 3, directed by Alfonso Cuarón (who is mostly known for the incredbile Y tu mamá también) and 4, by british director Mike Newell - both working outside of the Hollywood system - combined with darker book templates, are great movies. Especially because they don't fall into the trap of getting every little subplot from the books in the movie, but concentrate on the main storyline, which makes them a lot more focused that what the first two had to offer.
I think ages had a lot to do with it too. To be brutally honest, the acting in the first movie was pretty bad.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:48 pm

As someone that had never read the books, I found #1 to be quite good, #2 to be horrible, and #3 to be excellent. With #2 there were too many parts of plots (once I read the book they made more sense) to make the movie easy to follow. I left #1 very entertained, #2 very confused, and #3 very satisfied. I'm looking forward to seeing #4 soon.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Xamence

Post by Xamence » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:39 pm

I saw it a few days ago. It was fantastic. Though it seems Harry, Ron and Hermione have matured to some extent since the last 3 other films.

Great though.

phantomk

Post by phantomk » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:47 pm

Xamence wrote: I saw it a few days ago. It was fantastic. Though it seems Harry, Ron and Hermione have matured to some extent since the last 3 other films.

Great though.

They are 16 yo if I remember correctly, although in the movie they are supposed to be 14.

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:13 am

I just watched this movie earlier this afternoon.

Well, I can say that, IMHO, this is the best Harry Potter movie so far. The actors and actresses were more convincing than before. I liked the movie; I was surprised that, for the most part, it managed to keep many ideas and points in sync with the book. However, my main annoyance with it was that it gave an overall feeling of being pressed for time... ie many things were cut short. For example, I feel that the Quidditch World Cup was cut way too short (come on, all they did for that was have Harry, Ron, and everyone else just go "oh yeah, that was bloody awesome" instead of actually having some of the actual Quidditch match), along with a couple of other things... even the Third Task (lots of things from the book were cut out). IMHO they shouldn't have downplayed those things, among a couple others.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

phantomk

Post by phantomk » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:44 am

The movie was fairly long, a running time of 170 minutes. But I would have to agree, even if they decided to keep parts of the qibbitch match cut, they should have made the 3rd challange "longer" as it was very quick ... I mean all they did was walk into the maze, 2 ppl get snapped up by vines, harry saves them both and thats it. Nothing that couldn't be solved with just regular weed killer.

E-Darkone

Post by E-Darkone » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:15 am

I saw this, Im no Harry Potter fan. I thought it was bad at best. The kids just can't act, at all, in any way, shape or form. They are bad Corey Haims without the charm.

You'd think with all the money they make they could afford some acting lessons.

The only highlight really was Ralph Fiennes, always a pleasure to watch.

Alexander the Great

Post by Alexander the Great » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:11 am

It was a good movie, but I feel like I could have done better myself (which I probably can't). The movie would have been great if it weren't for the horrible transitioning in the movie. For example, I'm watching the movie, and they go to the quidditch world cup, they show the teams coming into the stadium, but then suddenly it is after the match and they fail to even really tell who won and how. Next, after the death eaters come and stun apperently nothing (they got the house elf in the book) out of nowhere they are on the train to hogwarts buying food. THEN (yes more) they are at hogwarts a month or so later in the book and the other schools are arriving. The movie is very random in this way and could have been much better if it weren't for this horrible blank spots that it leaves.

phantomk

Post by phantomk » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:51 pm

Alexander the Great wrote: The movie is very random in this way and could have been much better if it weren't for this horrible blank spots that it leaves.

Perhaps when the DVD comes out, thier will be an extended version with all the deleted scences. They might have just had to cut the film down to a resonable length to fit with "the man's" idea of a feature length.

Hikaro0

Post by Hikaro0 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:07 pm

I am gonna see it over the weekend. It looks good.
come all light people

who_cares

Post by who_cares » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:17 am

I finally saw it. It was worth the money. Some parts were a little funny
Voldermort looked a lot different from how I imagined. (lack of a nose)

phantomk

Post by phantomk » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:39 am

who_cares wrote: I finally saw it. It was worth the money. Some parts were a little funny
Voldermort looked a lot different from how I imagined. (lack of a nose)

I think it has to do with his parsel tounge heritage, since he can talk to snakes and all :)

Return to “General Discussion”