Your first computer and why???

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Brent C. Stevens

Your first computer and why???

Post by Brent C. Stevens »

Feeling nostalgic having gone through a box of old computer parts, I thought this would be a pleasing discussion...

What was the first computer you ever owned and why did you choose that particular one?

Mine was a Sinclair ZX-81 complete with the factory-spec 1K RAM, monochrome graphics. I probably spent more time trying to get the tape recorded to load in saved programs than I actually spent writing the things!

I bought it because it was something I could solder together myself, and saw the potential of creating amusing simple games, and using it as a super-calculator! Yes, bar-charts became reality for the first time in my life.

Subsequently, I bought an Alphacom 32 thermal printer which printed onto dodgy thermal paper, and spent hours programming in supermarket receipts so I could print out my own fancy shopping lists when I went to buy groceries! The great thing there was that you didn't need to take a pen with you, just strke through the item with your nail, and the friction was enough to draw a line on the thermal paper. Yes, the potential was endless! Shame the RAM wasn't! 1K went very fast on a shopping list!!! :D

Ska4Christ

Post by Ska4Christ »

Well, from the sound of things, I am relatively young here. My first computer was an Tandy 486 66D that we got in 1994. I think it had something like 4mb of RAM when we got it, which we later upgraded to 8, and a 400mb hard drive. I remember it originally had Windows 3.1 I believe, but Tandy bundled in some interface of their own you could use on top of Windows. It included this program where you could type things and it would speak it... you can imagine the fun 10 year olds could have with that. :D It still works fine though, and my Dad just got rid of it a couple weeks ago! I kinda miss it... *sniffles*
Grace and Peace,
Todd 8-)

“Fight like a man, scriptures in hand!” – The O.C. Supertones

Brent C. Stevens

HEH! Yes, just about 14 years into the future there! :D

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

Way back in 199.. something I got a snazzy Pentium 166mhz with 16mb ram and 1.8 GB HD, and it even had a 8x CD-Rom

the reason why I chose it was that it was simply the best around at the time, I mean, most people then were still on 120mhz pentiums around here

boy did I feel important, and how many people came to visit just to see the snazzy comp with the smacking win95

those were fun times, the comp still runs at my father though, whenever I use it it makes me want to smack my head against the table because it's so slow, lo

Ska4Christ

Post by Ska4Christ »

Haha... yeah... I remember my computer seemed so cool at the time. I can't remember the speed on the CD ROM. I guess I didn't answer why we got it... I really wanted a computer and my Dad went to Radio Shack and got our family one after a long time of my pleading. :cool:

I do remember the old Apple computers we used in school when I was little. The actually floppy floppies and green screens. Number Munchers, Lemonade Stand, Oregon Trail... those were the days. :D
Grace and Peace,
Todd 8-)

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk »

My dad worked for big companies when I was little, such as converse, reebox etc ...

So he was able to get a top of the line computer with win NT, at least I think it was NT. I used to play solitare and that sking game all the time on it. I used to have those big floppy disks, and I would load commache helicopter game on it. Ever since then I have been hooked on computers :) Not as far back as some of the old geezers here go, :P, but its as far back as I can remember being around computers.

Ska4Christ

Post by Ska4Christ »

Dude... that skiing game... it was sooo cool! :D
Grace and Peace,
Todd 8-)

Brent C. Stevens

HEH! I remember Horace goes skiing on my ZX Spectrum purchased not long after the ZX81!

Why don't they make games like that anymore???

I'm getting the idea that I'm an oldie on here!

Ska4Christ

Post by Ska4Christ »

Haha... and I thought I was one of the young ones! One of the support team members here is 14. I was amazed. It's cool, just, amazing! I really doubt I could have done that at 14... or now! :D

I got Oregon Trail for Windows now! Some of the old games are around still. Maybe more will come back with all of this video game nostalgia going around...
Grace and Peace,
Todd 8-)

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

I love that old skiing game, if it's the one I think it is

where you have a ski village and you can go highmountain skiing, snowball fighting, snowboarding on a half pipe and stuff like that?

Xamence

Post by Xamence »

In 1999, we got a 1998, because we didn't know it was so crap at the time.

Now we have a Windows XP.

Anaximander Thales

Post by Anaximander Thales »

Our first actual computer was a compaq 8088 - it had 128k of ram - 2 5.25 720k floppies, a green monochrom 7" screen (built-in) and no hard drive. We had had to boot MS-DOS (3.0 or 4.0 I think), and then we could run any game we wanted. The old infocom text games occupied most of our time. We had one graphical game called Jump Man that my brother and I finished a countless amount of times.
Last edited by Anaximander Thales on Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball peen hammer.

Brent C. Stevens

Xamence wrote: In 1999, we got a 1998, because we didn't know it was so crap at the time.

Now we have a Windows XP.

Haven't progressed much then eh??? :P

:wink:

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

My first computer was a Zenith Z-100. It had dual CPU chips (both the 8085 and 8088) and could boot CP/M or Z-DOS. It had 768K of RAM and a color screen that looked - oddly enough - like it was built into a Zenith TV. I got it because there was a great student discount.

I got a "true" IBM compatible (still Zenith) a bit later, then was one of the first kids on the block to own a 386 system. I took out a loan :shock: to get it; RAM was $1,000 (US) per MB at the time, and I got 2MB. It came with Win/386, a 42MB hard drive, and one of the first VGA screens. (Everything was EGA prior to that).

Ah, nostalgia. 8)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Nephrus
Former Team Member

Post by Nephrus »

My first computer was a Compaq Presario 4640 back in 1998. A Pentium II 266 MHz processor, 48MB RAM, 4MB ATI Rage Pro II onboard video card, 3 GB hard drive and a DVD-ROM drive was top of the line... for that year. This was the first computer my family ever got and since I was just starting high school, it was advised to have something you could type on.

I still use it as my database server. Except I had to beef it up a little. ;)
[ Zelda Planet - nephrus.net - phpBB Userguide - phpBB Knowledge Base - phpBB.com Forum Rules ]
ABSOLUTELY NO support via PM/IM/email or I'll get a cow to sit on you

Return to “General Discussion”