Your first computer and why???

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
learnzed

Post by learnzed »

mine was a Sinclair QL, I was very young at the time and remember my dad playing it mostly (he must have been 20 years old). I remember developing my addiction to text adventure games on this machine. Then came the Amstrad. Then Sinclair spectrum 48k. Then Amiga. Then PC. Oh, how the times have changed.
LearnZed - your personal learning journey http://www.learnzed.com

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk »

Anaximander Thales wrote: Our first actual computer was a compaq 8086 - it had 128k of ram - 2 5.25 720k floppies, a green monochrom 7" screen (built-in) and no hard drive. We had had to boot MS-DOS (3.0 or 4.0 I think), and then we could run any game we wanted. The old infocom text games occupied most of our time. We had one graphical game called Jump Man that my brother and I finished a countless amount of times.

I remember haveing to load DOS before I could run my camache game.

soxie
Former Team Member
Name: Brian

Post by soxie »

My first computer...
Hm.

I'm not certain of the specifics, but I believe Christmas of 96 or 97 my family got a large (I mean laaaaarge) Gateway computer.

It was nifty, I suppose.

I didn't get to choose it because it was a Christmas gift. I was also very young, so I didn't have the 'ability' to choose a good one.
// brian

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Apple II.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

Darth Wong wrote: Apple II.

wow, that's like impressive I'd say

owning the second ever PC...

madpiper

Post by madpiper »

My very first computer was an Amstrad CPC464 with built in datacorder complete with a green monochrome monitor (which we later replaced with a tv modulator). It was used for playing old games like "oh mummy" and "harrier attack".

I still have that computer and it still works.. hehehe

Rapid Dr3am

Post by Rapid Dr3am »

I had things like the Sinclair Spectum and such, a few gaming consoles (Master System, Mega Drive, NES, SNES, Game Gear, etc) but my first *real* computer was a standard 486 DX.

It had like 8mb of RAM and a 3gb HDD. It ran Windows 3.1 (not even 3.11).

I used it for basic word proccessing and school, I was very young at the time, proberly about 10.

Nothing special, I don't get attached to computers as such, I get attached to how I have my shortcuts laid out. Like I get more attached to a keyboard, I've just switched my keyboard from a memorex one (ubércool with loads of shortcut keys) to a Belkin wireless keyboard. I go to hit buttons that don't exist, and when the batteries fail (which they do with the amount of keystrokes I make on average once a week) it becomes quite irriating it will miss out charectors.

I've never been into *computers* really, I do software but not hardware it just doesn't appeal to me.

Hikaro0

Post by Hikaro0 »

my first comp was a sony with windows XP.
come all light people

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk »

Hikaro0 wrote: my first comp was a sony with windows XP.

You could have lied, thats not exactly nastalgic ...

A.I. BOT

Post by A.I. BOT »

My first computer was the Macintosh with Mac OS 6 (old as the hills :P).

Why? my dad was a graphic designer and still is today, he baught the Macintosh because it was the best thing out their for designing. I used it to play games tho :P

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

I believe it would have been my dad's Swan PC bought back in '90. 25Mghz processor on that sucker. Been addicted to computers ever since.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Swizec wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:Apple II.

wow, that's like impressive I'd say

owning the second ever PC...

What can I say, I'm an old fogey. My father brought it home on a sweltering summer day, and I couldn't wait to pop in that 5.25" floppy disk and load up Space Invaders.

Yeah, you may point and laugh, but I can say I was there at the dawn of consumer computing. I also used the old Commodore PET.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

yoopercam

Post by yoopercam »

Darth Wong wrote: What can I say, I'm an old fogey. My father brought it home on a sweltering summer day, and I couldn't wait to pop in that 5.25" floppy disk and load up Space Invaders.

Yeah, you may point and laugh, but I can say I was there at the dawn of consumer computing. I also used the old Commodore PET.

I guess that makes me a fogey too, I didn't think I was that old. We had Apple IIs in high school computers. My first "computer" if you can call it that was a Magnavox Odyssey 2, and then to a blazing fast Tandy Color computer with 16k of memory.

ibmsystems

Post by ibmsystems »

Hmm my first computer was a self built box it was a amd something but at the time it made everything there was look like a piece of junk had a 16X cd drive a floppy 1.8 gb hard drive and some cheep graphics card i got for 10.00 :lol: right now it still lives being used as a little home server but the sony viao home media centre pc i'm typing this makes it look like a piece of junk but i guess as time goes all the new computers make the new computers of yesterday look like a piece of junk.

the rat

Re: Your first computer and why???

Post by the rat »

Brent C. Stevens wrote: Mine was a Sinclair ZX-81 complete with the factory-spec 1K RAM, monochrome graphics.

Mine too. Though my parents eventually splashed out on a 16k RAM pack. Not even enough to store a blank Microsoft Word document now.

Return to “General Discussion”