A different kind of nostalgic

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Swizec
Former Team Member

A different kind of nostalgic

Post by Swizec » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:08 pm

The thread about first computers is fun, but it made me wonder about a whole other aspect of this.

We buy a computer, we're happy with it, with time new components come out and we start beefing up our computer, with passing years we suddenly realise that there is hardly anything of the original computer left.

Like, my dad bought me this computer about 3 years ago and the only things that are still from the original are the graphic card and the case, even the power supply is different (3rd one btw). It's sad in a way to see an old friend perish slowly before my eyes, but it's also a happy thing to see a new friend arise on the ashes of the former one.

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:11 pm

oops, sorry for the double topic, there was lag and I got too clickhappy

someone delete this please

everyone who wishes to, please reply in the other thread

edit: disregard this post then ^^
Last edited by Swizec on Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nephrus
Former Team Member

Post by Nephrus » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:13 pm

I already deleted the other one. :P
[ Zelda Planet - nephrus.net - phpBB Userguide - phpBB Knowledge Base - phpBB.com Forum Rules ]
ABSOLUTELY NO support via PM/IM/email or I'll get a cow to sit on you

learnzed

Post by learnzed » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:38 pm

i normally end up selling my whole old computer and building a brand new one, that way everything matches (ie speeds and performance). I feel like i'm missing a trick though, one idea i have had is to set up a network and use it as a testbed for my internet sites, saves on hosting while the site is being designed.
LearnZed - your personal learning journey http://www.learnzed.com

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:24 pm

The process of upgradeing:
Powersupply, Motherboard and Processor are upgraded every year.
Memory and graphics card are upgraded every 2 years.
Perperial devices, such as the mouse and keyboard are upgraded when I feel I need a new one, about once a year or more.
Hard drives are upgraded/added about 1 and 1/2 years.
CD-Roms, ie dvd/cd/rw/cd-rw/dvd-rw etc ... Are upgraded about 2 years.
The monitor and Case are about the only thing I have not yet upgraded and I probably won't upgrade them for about 5 year intervals.

Thats basically how I have been upgradeing over the past 5 years now, I have not had a need to change my case or monitor yet, but I feel like I might get another monitor so I can have dual monitors :) (My current monitor is a sumsung 950b)

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:32 pm

It's sad in a way to see an old friend perish slowly before my eyes, but it's also a happy thing to see a new friend arise on the ashes of the former one.

Sorry, but I just can't get emotionally attached to a computer. It's an object, nothing more.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:30 pm

Darth Wong wrote:
It's sad in a way to see an old friend perish slowly before my eyes, but it's also a happy thing to see a new friend arise on the ashes of the former one.

Sorry, but I just can't get emotionally attached to a computer. It's an object, nothing more.

Something I spend 16hours of my day with can only ever be a friend I'd say

Nephrus
Former Team Member

Post by Nephrus » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:00 am

I'm always changing things on my computer. Since I spend a lot of time working with big applications, I pretty much push my computer to the limit, so I can usually be found buying RAM, hard drives and other devices and applications to speed up my computing power.

My first computer (the P2) was pretty much overhauled except for the processor and motherboard (because the way Compaq had assembled this computer, I didn't want to touch either).
[ Zelda Planet - nephrus.net - phpBB Userguide - phpBB Knowledge Base - phpBB.com Forum Rules ]
ABSOLUTELY NO support via PM/IM/email or I'll get a cow to sit on you

ibmsystems

Post by ibmsystems » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:01 am

Swizec wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:

Yes i agree also beause most of the computers i own i build from scratch which takes almost 50 hrs of work to fine tune the parts to get them working at the max but the way i make sure that i don't start do "dissasemble an old friend" is by starting with the best there is and most of the time the best there is can be all i need

**note**

Just beacuse that's all i need dosent mean thats all i want :lol:

yoopercam

Post by yoopercam » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:41 am

I've always built my computers, but now I have more spare money and less spare time, so I just ordered a Dell XPS-600 with a 19"digital LCD. We've had good luck with Dell at work, so hopefully I will at home.

ibmsystems

Post by ibmsystems » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:57 am

yoopercam wrote: I've always built my computers, but now I have more spare money and less spare time, so I just ordered a Dell XPS-600 with a 19"digital LCD. We've had good luck with Dell at work, so hopefully I will at home.

Yes but dell makes there systems so where if something failes you cant change it out so you have to buy a new system

yoopercam

Post by yoopercam » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:08 am

ibmsystems wrote: Yes but dell makes there systems so where if something failes you cant change it out so you have to buy a new system

Not the XPS, it has a PCI-E video card and a soundblaster card, the only thing built into the motherboard is the network card, but as long as there is a pci slot I can add a different one.

infoseek

Post by infoseek » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:23 am

It seems we are all nostalgic :)

Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:22 am

Swizec wrote: Something I spend 16hours of my day with can only ever be a friend I'd say

16 hours a day....ok, lets see, 24 hours in a day, minus 8 hours of sleep......ok, don't take this the wrong way, but maybe its time to cut back and get some flesh and blood friends.

If not, remember, the computer still isn't really a friend. It will not loan you a few bucks for a beer, it wont take care of you when your sick, it won't shed a tear when you die, and if there's a power outage it will completely turn it's back on you.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:24 am

Swizec wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:

There are a lot of people out there who spend 10 hours a day in front of a computer and hate it with every fibre of their beings. They do this at a place they call "work".
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Return to “General Discussion”