InterNIC discussing one letter domain names

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
geocator

InterNIC discussing one letter domain names

Post by geocator » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:49 am

This just cam across the local news and I thought it was quite interesting. So lloked up an article: http://news.portalit.net/fullnews_One-l ... e_907.html
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers will consider the proposition to lift restrictions un the use of one letter domain names such as a.com or x.com.

The ICANN board meets in Vancouver, British Columbia at the end of this week and will take a decision regarding the extension toward this yet unused domain names. There is a big chance that one letter domain names will start being used early next year.

"Obviously this is a valuable commodity," said Kurt Pritz, the corporation's vice president for business operations. "How would the name be sold?"

The system in use right now, the fist come first get basis may be changed as there is enormous interest regarding these domain names. Actually this is the most important problem that will be discussed by the board in the Sunday meeting. It is possible that one of these addresses to be sold at the price of millions as Yahoo, for an instance, applied for the y.com domain earlier this year.

"Obviously there's nothing more exquisite than names that are in extremely rare supply like that," Bentley said. "They would have a lot of cachet as a brand name. I could see there would be tons of demand."

The part I find most interesting is the concept of not doing them first come first serve. Perhaps InterNIC will auction them off. This would make them millions.

Brent C. Stevens

Post by Brent C. Stevens » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:18 am

That explains:

1. Why I wasn't able to register any 1-letter domain names
2. Exactly as you said - They're going to make a fortune out of this - only a limited set of 26 domains, hurry while stocks last! Someone rich will buy the lot! Unless they're tens of millions each.
3. Will the owner of Q.com have to get U.com to make it useful? :)

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:21 am

I think one letter domains are silly. too short to actually say anything about what they hide

Brent C. Stevens

Post by Brent C. Stevens » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:27 am

Unless of course, you have a company called X :?

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:40 am

Google will obviously want g.com
Customisations Team Member

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:09 pm

There are two one letter words in the english language, 'a', and 'I'.

All domain names are rare, whats rare is that it's a single letter. It's very hard to find short domain names that are actually words, though some cyber squatter probably bought all the remaining (English) words under 8 characters long ages ago.

Honestly, I don't see the point, wasn't there a reason why domain names had to be 2 letters to begin with anyway?

Wyr!H@x!mu$
Name: Cees-Jan

Post by Wyr!H@x!mu$ » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:44 pm

smithy_dll wrote: There are two one letter words in the english language, 'a', and 'I'.

All domain names are rare, whats rare is that it's a single letter. It's very hard to find short domain names that are actually words, though some cyber squatter probably bought all the remaining (English) words under 8 characters long ages ago.

Honestly, I don't see the point, wasn't there a reason why domain names had to be 2 letters to begin with anyway?
It's just all about the money if you ask me.

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:09 pm

Wyr!H@x!mu$ wrote:
smithy_dll wrote:There are two one letter words in the english language, 'a', and 'I'.

It's just all about the money if you ask me.

Yeah, they would have realized a long time ago that good domain names wouldn't take long to be hard to come by. Hence, they would then be worth a lot.
Customisations Team Member

txuspe

Post by txuspe » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:25 pm

I think it's a waste of time.

Regards :wink:

geocator

Post by geocator » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:45 pm

smithy_dll wrote: Honestly, I don't see the point, wasn't there a reason why domain names had to be 2 letters to begin with anyway?

Supposedly becuase the InterNIC was woried that there would be no "good" domain names after awhile. Of course holding back a whole 26 of them does not help much.

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:49 pm

there are less than 26. many of the one-letter domains now redirect to a "real" site. for example, paypal owns x.com, which is what they were originally called.
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.

Ska4Christ

Post by Ska4Christ » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:40 am

TC wrote: there are less than 26. many of the one-letter domains now redirect to a "real" site. for example, paypal owns x.com, which is what they were originally called.

Wow... it's true. :D But now I'm confused... how do they have this, but yet they are not generally available?

Yeah, these things will go so fast, and for so much money. Y for Yahoo, G for Google, E for Electronic Arts or Ebay or something...
Grace and Peace,
Todd 8-)

“Fight like a man, scriptures in hand!” – The O.C. Supertones

mm3guy

Post by mm3guy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:17 am

I'd like to snatch M.com, microsoft would offer me mega $$$ for it 8)
[-INSERT COOL SIG HERE-]

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:22 am

mm3guy wrote: I'd like to snatch M.com, microsoft would offer me mega $$$ for it 8)

What would make you think they would want it? They have a significant holding in their trademarked name "Microsoft" as it is.

I'd say cnet would snatch alot up, they have holdings in useless domain names already, i.e. download.com.com.com.com

Anyway, the chances are that if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.

mm3guy

Post by mm3guy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:29 am

Ya, you're right :D

Hmm, they didn't say it was limited to .com domains, theres .us, .ca, .nl, .net, .ru, .name, .org, .ws, .tw, .xxx, the list goes on...
I hope they dont make it limited to .com :D
[-INSERT COOL SIG HERE-]

Return to “General Discussion”