Linux or Windows?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
p3980

Linux or Windows?

Post by p3980 »

I'm curious to know what Operating System you use and why. And remember, this is for personal computing, not as a server.

I'll get us started. I, personally, use Windows XP SP2 Home Edition, mainly because I started on Windows when I got my first computer 7 years ago. I am, however, considering dual-booting with Linux, eitheir SuSE or Mepis.

Oh, and OSX users, feel free to speak out and proclaim the goodness of Apple 8)
Support Request Template <> Knowledge Base<>starfoxtj's Admin Toolkit
Member of the Unofficial Forum for phpBB.com Supporters
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

For a desktop, I'm a windows person. Both my laptop and my min desktop use XP Pro SP2. however, on my ex server i've been experimenting with using Debian as a desktop
p3980

Post by p3980 »

Anon wrote: For a desktop, I'm a windows person. Both my laptop and my min desktop use XP Pro SP2. however, on my ex server i've been experimenting with using Debian as a desktop

Debian, eh? What are your thoughts of it thus far, if you don't mind my asking.
phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk »

I have always had some form of windows on my computers, mainly because I didn't know any better. I want to make the switch to Linux, because it is free and I love it (My server uses debian and it has got me hooked) :) probably going with fedora just because I have heard good things about it. I have my comp currently setup as a dual boot, found a nice guide that doesn't let windows/linux know they exist, ie no file interactions. The only thing I need to do to switch over to linux is get a decent connection that supports linux :) Currently any ISP's that support linux are asking for 3-4x what I am paying for my connection and they don't offer the same service, ie unlimited up/down and no disconections.

As soon as I can work out a ISP I am linux 100% :)

PS- I'm on dial-up as that is the only service I can get in my area.
Alexander the Great

Post by Alexander the Great »

I have always used windows (2000 Pro SP4 currently) but just this week 2000 crashed while defragging the hdd :cry: . Not good. Couldn't repair it and so to look up solutions to I used a live boot disc that I got for free from Ubuntu and was impressed by it. I know I can't get rid of windows because of all the software I have that uses it, but I am definatly going to use linux (probably Ubuntu) some now.
p3980

Post by p3980 »

phantomk wrote: I have always had some form of windows on my computers, mainly because I didn't know any better. I want to make the switch to Linux, because it is free and I love it (My server uses debian and it has got me hooked) :) probably going with fedora just because I have heard good things about it. I have my comp currently setup as a dual boot, found a nice guide that doesn't let windows/linux know they exist, ie no file interactions. The only thing I need to do to switch over to linux is get a decent connection that supports linux :) Currently any ISP's that support linux are asking for 3-4x what I am paying for my connection and they don't offer the same service, ie unlimited up/down and no disconections.

As soon as I can work out a ISP I am linux 100% :)

PS- I'm on dial-up as that is the only service I can get in my area.

I'm on a home wireless network, so the internet problem isn't a real one for me.
Bromtom

Post by Bromtom »

On all 5 of my computers I am using Windows, 2 = XP home, 2 = XP Professional and 1 = Server
Connecting the Gamers of the World via the W3 - www.DaleGamers.com
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

For personal computing i'm a windows person. Mainly because of the amount of programs available for Windows that just arn't available for Linux or Mac OSX

I would never run windows as a server though.

On all my systems its XP Pro SP2 but on the servers its Linux

Mark
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

p3980 wrote:
Anon wrote:For a desktop, I'm a windows person. Both my laptop and my min desktop use XP Pro SP2. however, on my ex server i've been experimenting with using Debian as a desktop

Going slightly off topic, it's been good, but then again i haven't truly experimented with it
p3980

Post by p3980 »

Anon wrote:
p3980 wrote:
Anon wrote:For a desktop, I'm a windows person. Both my laptop and my min desktop use XP Pro SP2. however, on my ex server i've been experimenting with using Debian as a desktop

Going slightly off topic, it's been good, but then again i haven't truly experimented with it

Ok, thanks... another distro set thrown into the pool ;)

Anyways, I'm downloading slackware right now... I know someone who uses it, and I like the interface. I'll let you know when everything's setup.

Anyways, back on topic now!
SAK `

Post by SAK ` »

I been getting used to Kubuntu since I ordered/downloaded it, which I thought was another Linux-related OS. I was not familiar with Linux at first because it has been a few years since I got my hands on a system with Red Hate 7. Ever since that time, I went on and studied Windows from 2000 all the way to XP.

I never learned the new Apple computers but I been using Pear PC to emulate one, does that count? LOL, but that's when I learned about OS X starting at version 10.3.9.

There is no telling which operating system I have to stick with since it is strict that many different companies and small business run many different OS's, so I stick with all three.
The Serial AD Killa trademark is no more. 2003-2007
nblythin

Post by nblythin »

I use only Linux. The distribution I use on most of my systems is Xandros - a commercial OS that's based on Debian with KDE. I made the migration away from Windows about 2 years ago, and haven't looked back.

Why? I was sick of M$ and their cash grab. Brand new computers coming with "trial versions" installed, over priced software, and programs released before they are properly tested. And don't forget "planned obsolescence" ... There is no reason why the newer version of a program should not be able to open files created by previous versions.

You should note that in 2 years with Linux (with an always-on, high speed DSL connection) I have not had to suffer with any viruses, spyware or adware. Not one!!!
p3980

Post by p3980 »

nblythin wrote: I use only Linux. The distribution I use on most of my systems is Xandros - a commercial OS that's based on Debian with KDE. I made the migration away from Windows about 2 years ago, and haven't looked back.

Why? I was sick of M$ and their cash grab. Brand new computers coming with "trial versions" installed, over priced software, and programs released before they are properly tested. And don't forget "planned obsolescence" ... There is no reason why the newer version of a program should not be able to open files created by previous versions.

You should note that in 2 years with Linux (with an always-on, high speed DSL connection) I have not had to suffer with any viruses, spyware or adware. Not one!!!

Good to hear all that good stuff about Linux.

Meanwhile, in SlackwareLand, I've burned the two .iso's, and will partition my HD after I get my new host worked out and the files off this PC (my current server).
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

nblythin wrote: And don't forget "planned obsolescence" ... There is no reason why the newer version of a program should not be able to open files created by previous versions.

In what program? I have successfully opened office 97 files in office 2003
DemonBob

Post by DemonBob »

I use FreeBSD on all my desktops and laptops...

Return to “General Discussion”