Linux or Windows?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
bleak

Post by bleak »

I use Windows XP Pro on my desktop, mostly because I play a lot of games. I used to dual boot WinXP and Slackware, but I found that I was always logging into Windows (to play games) and not Slack.

2 laptops: 1 runs Slackware, the other OS X.

My server runs Slackware.
ImageImage
m600

Post by m600 »

(continues from Topic Title)

Neither. I prefer Mac. :wink:

If I really had to choose between Linux & Windows I would go with Linux.
I've had some bad experiences with Windows.
seanblee

Post by seanblee »

Windows XP Pro SP2 or Pro x64 on all my desktops and laptops, and Windows Server 2003 SP1 on my servers. I like Windows :D
_underscore_

Post by _underscore_ »

I use Ubuntu (Breezy Bdger) and Win XP Pro.

I'e also used a KNOPPIX Live CD.

So yah, I like Debian. 8)
bcs10

Post by bcs10 »

linux or windows?

i would say if you are an advanced pc user to use linux... if you are a newer user who just want a User Friendly interface should use Windows and have a virus scanner that also scans for spyware and malware
/DD
Amailer

Post by Amailer »

Linux: Because to be used as a server or if your doing important work that you don't want to risk losing... its so much more stable than Windows.
Windows: Simply for gaming...And experimenting with new apps (and uninstalling them later), I do fresh re-installs ever two years or so, keep it running smoothly (seriously)

I currently have a MAC (Awesome for work purposes) and another computer with a split hard drive with Linux (SuSE) and Windows installed on it. If only there were more games for Linux... but thats changing soon (or so it seems).
>> New AaronDM - Help with phpBB Setups, Mods or more? Contact me!
>> Visit Compsci - For all students interested in computer science.
starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

Every 2 years? Lucky you..I am forced to reinstall every 6 months (then spend TWO DAYS getting all my settings, registry edits and other settings).

I install and test so much stuff it just starts corrupting windows after 6 months.
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!
phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk »

starfoxtj wrote: Every 2 years? Lucky you..I am forced to reinstall every 6 months (then spend TWO DAYS getting all my settings, registry edits and other settings).

I install and test so much stuff it just starts corrupting windows after 6 months.

Every 4 months here, even though thier is nothing wrong, it gives me something to do when I am bored. Plus I have a full reinstall and application/data restoreation down to 2 hours :)
Amailer

Post by Amailer »

starfoxtj wrote: Every 2 years? Lucky you..I am forced to reinstall every 6 months (then spend TWO DAYS getting all my settings, registry edits and other settings).

6 months.... I wouldn't do that... only because it takes me forever to do the windows updates (I believe there are over 150 or even more updates to be done when you re-install (or fresh install) your windows, for XP Pro at least).
>> New AaronDM - Help with phpBB Setups, Mods or more? Contact me!
>> Visit Compsci - For all students interested in computer science.
starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

I dont use windows update because I have had WAY to many systems get fubared from them.

I install specified updates, then well over 120 programs. (Thats why it takes 2 days, about 16 hours to get my system back up and running)
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!
p3980

Post by p3980 »

I only reformat whenever I get some type of virus... (with my idiot sister, who's laptop is using year-old virus definitions, the whole network of four computers goes down about once a year. This PC that I'm on right now (my server... offline at the moment) takes about 40 hours to get back up to speed.
Support Request Template <> Knowledge Base<>starfoxtj's Admin Toolkit
Member of the Unofficial Forum for phpBB.com Supporters
starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

p3980 wrote: who's laptop is using year-old virus definitions, the whole network of four computers goes down about once a year.

Ouch dude...ouch. 8O

I would steal that comp away from her, update the av software and install firefore. Then put it back where I found it. :P
p3980

Post by p3980 »

starfoxtj wrote:
p3980 wrote:who's laptop is using year-old virus definitions, the whole network of four computers goes down about once a year.

Ouch dude...ouch. 8O

I would steal that comp away from her, update the av software and install firefore. Then put it back where I found it. :P

Tried. She's got is passworded, and I never have time to dig out her floppy drive (USB) to be able to add a Password Cracker I wrote to the boot files so I can try and crack it :D
starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

LMAO that is toooo funny! :lol:

Even the admin account has a password though? That is very rare...most users dont even know it exists.
p3980

Post by p3980 »

starfoxtj wrote: LMAO that is toooo funny! :lol:

Even the admin account has a password though? That is very rare...most users dont even know it exists.

Yes, because I passworded it. She has since changed the password somehow. Unfortunatley, the laptop is passworded, so you can't access BIOS or start the booting without entering the password.

Return to “General Discussion”