Lebs vs Aussies

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
eXsaken

Lebs vs Aussies

Post by eXsaken » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:29 am

G'day guys.

I live here in Australia, Sydney and write now isn't a good place to be. On Sunday there was a couple of Lebanese people that bashed up Aussie life guards on the beach. Well to be honest, I do have a leb background but grew up in Aus. Now Aussie people are saying stuff like go back to Lebanon. You disgrase Aus. Then Australian's are just as worse because they are continuing the fight. Seeing that I am leb, there is one thing I know: They will not stop untill havoc is caused and aussie's have given up.

The good thing is that the fight isn't near wear I live but I hope that this fight doesn't continue on Christmass. That will just be worse.

Cheers, eXsaken.

Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:28 am

I have good friends in Lebanon and Australia. Sad to hear these individuals couldn't get along.

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:50 am

Aussie folk are great, so fun and so upside-down, lol

Don't know anyone from lebanon, but this sort of stuff seems ridiculous to me between any two nations.
It's simple, the ones that are "foreign" should be the ones to shut up and behave and sort of fit in...

Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:36 pm

Yeah, you bring the culture where you go as we say, it means you do as them and pay proper respect. I got so annoyed when some drunk Hungarian came up to me and my friends, of which two are foreigners, standing in line for a nightclub here and threatened to break our noses if we wouldn't let him in in front of us. Jerk!

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:12 pm

Swizec wrote: It's simple, the ones that are "foreign" should be the ones to shut up and behave and sort of fit in...

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

How about this: the ones that are engaging in mindless mob violence regardless of their origins should be the ones to stop.

super fun rainbow colour sig

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:22 pm

Pit wrote:
Swizec wrote:It's simple, the ones that are "foreign" should be the ones to shut up and behave and sort of fit in...

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

How about this: the ones that are engaging in mindless mob violence regardless of their origins should be the ones to stop.

Good point, that too.

But foreigners still usually think too much of themselves. At least when there's more than one and they're drunk.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:52 pm

Swizec wrote: But foreigners still usually think too much of themselves. At least when there's more than one and they're drunk.

I guess you think it's OK to spout racist generalizations as long as you don't resort to violence? After all, it's what you're doing right now.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:05 pm

Well of course it goes both ways. I feel ashamed when my own countrymen act like jerks. Decency, or lack thereof, seems to be something every culture and ethnicity has the same share of.

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:17 pm

Darth Wong wrote:
Swizec wrote:But foreigners still usually think too much of themselves. At least when there's more than one and they're drunk.

I guess you think it's OK to spout racist generalizations as long as you don't resort to violence? After all, it's what you're doing right now.

Not at all what I'm doing, I just said what seems to be the common factor with foreigners, any race of foreigners in any country. They feel oppressed or something by the nation that is in majority and when they're drunk it comes out into the open. It's what goes on in my country and it's what woudl probably go on if I was a foreigner in my country. It's just how it is, I don't see any racist generalisation in that.

A racist generalisation would be if I said that all black people are criminals, but I didn't nor do I think they are.

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:57 pm

The thing is Australia is touted as a very multicultual society and an extremely popular destination for tourists. If things like this happen, it both hurts the local foriegn community, but hurts australia as a whole, as tourist et all might think twice about visiting

Saying that foreigners should "shut up" simply does not work in this case

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:00 pm

Xenophobia is fun and profitable. And it starts with an X, so it's great for scrabble too.
super fun rainbow colour sig

Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:05 pm

But Xylitol will probably yield more points! :) Or maybe not. LOL!

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:50 pm

Swizec wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:
Swizec wrote:But foreigners still usually think too much of themselves. At least when there's more than one and they're drunk.

Not at all what I'm doing, I just said what seems to be the common factor with foreigners, any race of foreigners in any country.

Do you realize that you're treating the words "nation", "foreigner", and "race" as if they're interchangeable?
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:05 pm

Darth Wong wrote:
Swizec wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:

Not at all what I'm doing, I just said what seems to be the common factor with foreigners, any race of foreigners in any country.

Do you realize that you're treating the words "nation", "foreigner", and "race" as if they're interchangeable?

Well pardon my french if I don't know the finese meaning in all English words. And ok, race isn't at all interchangable, but foreigner and nation do kind of work in the way I used them...

Wyld

Post by Wyld » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:14 am

I'm an Australian, have a mixed background, and seriously, over here it's pretty rare to find someone without some form of mixed heritage.

I was just stunned to see it on the news. Then I was disgusted.

My view, it's just unaustralian. We pride ourselves on our mixed cultures, our different points of view, and our ability to form something greater from them. I don't see this as a racist issue, more of a mob mentality just using racism as an excuse.

Yesterday, the leaders of each specific group that started this met on the beach, in public, shook hands, and publicly announced that they did not want this crap to continue. Now thats Australian.
Weaving the Web since 1492

Return to “General Discussion”