Lebs vs Aussies

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Alexander the Great

Post by Alexander the Great » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:55 am

I don't understand this, how could Lebanon and Austrailia even get in a fight since they have like no connections with each other (that I know of).

Also, Pit, no one cares about xenophobia.

Wyld

Post by Wyld » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:21 am

Alexander the Great wrote: I don't understand this, how could Lebanon and Austrailia even get in a fight since they have like no connections with each other (that I know of).

It's not the countries that have the problem. There is no link there at all .. it's all people who live over here in Oz.
Weaving the Web since 1492

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:22 pm

Alexander the Great wrote: Also, Pit, no one cares about xenophobia.

Says a Macedonian.
super fun rainbow colour sig

Brent C. Stevens

Post by Brent C. Stevens » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:54 pm

In most countries there's an element within the society that supports a xenophobic extremism.

In more simple English, there's always some idiots who want to spoil it for everyone else because for whatever reason, they can't bare to see outsiders infiltrating the community.

A lot of the time, the resentment is deep within, and never manifests itself, apart from perhaps "Lighthearted" jokes between friends (I'm trying to put this very nicely).

It seems that in this instance, the colonial population of Australia who comprise mainly of white folks from England and Ireland (historically), and form the country's majority are suffering some kind of tension, most probably caused by an insecurity that other countries are suffering in the name of terrorism.

This insecurity and perhaps other contributing factors such as economy (Foreigners are often seen as taking jobs and resources), has reached a point where an incident (That didn't have to necessarily be a racist attack), has caused a public opinion flashpoint, added to by people's control being lost from excessive alcohol consumption. When people are drunk, they will say what they think, and loose a certain amount of restraint.

Unfortunately, when things have got to this stage, there's not a lot that can be done. People have short memories and only time can really fix things.

There's no excuse for the attack on the lifeguard, but also there's no excuse for the rampage. It's one thing to have an opinion and demonstrate it, but another to do so in a violent and destructive way. Whoever was involved from both sides that caused social unrest should suffer the consequences laid down by the county's law.

On a side note, I'm absolutely astonished at the amount of people who consider the Lebanon as an arab country. In fact, a lot of people Ispeak to can't believe that there are significant Christian communities within arab countries. More often than not, opinions get distored and confused. I know of people who are anti-islam because of the terrorism, so are therefore targetted racially against people with arab complexions (Dark hair, olive skin,etc). Subsequently, they target people that are not Islamic, and also not arab, their distorted opinions based entirely on someone's appearance.

Alexander the Great

Post by Alexander the Great » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:21 am

Pit wrote:
Alexander the Great wrote:Also, Pit, no one cares about xenophobia.

Says a Macedonian.

Heres a link for teh Baby.

[unappropriate]

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:54 am

Alexander the Great wrote:
Pit wrote:
Alexander the Great wrote:Also, Pit, no one cares about xenophobia.

Says a Macedonian.

Heres a link for teh Baby.

That site is disgusting, and you posted it so it bypassed the under 18 disclaimer

Check your PM inbox

Ska4Christ

Post by Ska4Christ » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:41 pm

This whole thing is rather foolish, but it would seem most of the world is nowadays. I really feel for the lifeguards, being one myself. It's enough trouble dealing with disgruntled swimmers, those who don't follow the rules, and those who are disgruntled because they don't like the rules. I can only imagine a riot on my watch. 8O
Grace and Peace,
Todd 8-)

“Fight like a man, scriptures in hand!” – The O.C. Supertones

Wyld

Post by Wyld » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:38 pm

A friend of mine put it really well. It's not about racism. It's about tribalism. It's about us and them, formed by small and usually closed communities, that establish and maintain a sense of difference, of the us and them. The fact that it's a cultural/racial different doesn't matter. We see the same thing when gangs fight.

The key difference is that everyone has a place in this version of us vs them.

Last weekend a new us vs them was pushed through protest. Us being those who reject violence and hate, and them being those that allow or endorse it as an acceptible norm.

I hope we win.
Weaving the Web since 1492

Brent C. Stevens

Post by Brent C. Stevens » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:49 pm

Nationalism and racism are often confused, as are nationalism and patriotism.

Return to “General Discussion”