Lyrics and tabs are forbidden.

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Dustin07

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:43 pm

Today someone can write out tabs, put them on the internet, and give them away to anyone in the world. Even if that person doesn't charge for their work, it's still impacting the rights of the original musician or the company he has a contract with. It's more visible now because it's easy.

actually I suppose it is very similar to the casual copying that we have gone on with music...

You CAN buy tabs...... or I can make you a copy of the ones that I have (either written by ear, or bought from the store)
You CAN buy the CD..... or I can burn you a copy.

hmmm... makes me think about this in an entirely different way!

the rat

Post by the rat » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:56 pm

Dustin07 wrote:
Today someone can write out tabs, put them on the internet, and give them away to anyone in the world. Even if that person doesn't charge for their work, it's still impacting the rights of the original musician or the company he has a contract with. It's more visible now because it's easy.

actually I suppose it is very similar to the casual copying that we have gone on with music...

You CAN buy tabs...... or I can make you a copy of the ones that I have (either written by ear, or bought from the store)
You CAN buy the CD..... or I can burn you a copy.

hmmm... makes me think about this in an entirely different way!

Trouble is while you can buy tabs it is very limited. I particularly don't want to buy a £19.99 book full of an album of tabs when I only want one song. Give us the chance to purchase these things reasonably (at a sensible price - unlike legal music downloads) then you can start complaining about illegal tab sites.

I can't help but think that the music industry are doing this to try to convince the artists and fans that everything on the internet is illegal or high priced. The reason for this is simple... one day a big artist will get some brains and realise they don't need record companies anymore. That's why record companies are scared... they are essentially meaningless for big artists... it's just that big artists haven't cottoned on to that yet.

Dustin07

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:15 pm

I agree, and I think it would be great to have a $.99 or even $2.99/tab type website, somethink like itunes for tabs. I know that of the tab books I have (unsure of conversion rate at this moment) ranging in the $30+ range I definately don't use every songs tabs in them.

Although......... I wouldn't say that record companies are meaningless. They are just becoming more and more a form of venture capitalist really. They invest in small bands and hope to make something big of them.

I think all markets eventually even themselves out. I was just saying a couple years ago that the entertaining industry is destined for a crash because of all the rediculous prices they charge for CDs/DVDs, Concert/Movie tickets, etc. I think the entertainment industry crash is near. it's unfortunate because I'd love to open a record store, but I think it will be obsolete in a decade.

prince_of_oreon

Post by prince_of_oreon » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:48 am

I would prefer an istockphoto of tabs, where the tabs were created by real musicians not by a digital editor and the RIAA. It would still allow for more creativity than would otherwise be available.

Return to “General Discussion”