Why did you open your own forum?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
nepala

Post by nepala » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:30 pm

Hi ! rapghsi

Thanks for your posting I am also searching for that ...

and thanks for all the guys who suggest the solution

Really Thanks !!!!

Large Buy

GalaKev

Post by GalaKev » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:18 pm

The only other forum for Berwick Rangers FC got shut down about three years ago. It had gone right downhill with different factions slagging each other off. In the end it was shut down with a threat of legal action.

For two year we used a Scottish Football forum, but all Berwick posts were hijacked by other supporters. No Scottish team likes us, cause we are the only English team to play in the Scottish leagues.

Back in August, I opened a forum on the host Chumster.co.uk and it went not too bad. But it all went pear shaped in December, chumster went down and many supporters made the long journey up north to Montrose to find the game called off.

Next day I brought a domain name and server space and launched it using phpbb at http://www.berwickforums.co.uk. Although it was not launched until middle of February 2006.

A website has started developing around the forum now, even to the extent that prediction software is being used and prizes donated by Berwick Rangers FC.

I wish it was a lot more busy, we have a 139 members (average home gate of 420), they have posted 1,698 posts. I suppose I can't complain too much for such a small group.

I had never had a website until I launched it back 2 months ago, I had to learn everthing about html, php, mysql, etc. So I have had to teach myself from scratch, but i am getting there slowly.

Maybe others will tell me what they think of the website? Considering that my knowledge is limited

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:29 pm

Please confine posts to the topic for discussion.
Maybe others will tell me what they think of the website? Considering that my knowledge is limited

This could hijack the thread and lead to it being locked so please stay on topic.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

GalaKev

Post by GalaKev » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:35 pm

Jim_UK wrote: Please confine posts to the topic for discussion.

This could hijack the thread and lead to it being locked so please stay on topic.

Jim

Sorry Jim,

I did not think that was against the rules. Anyway please disregard my last statement and accept my apologies.

Kev

mrrobbit

Post by mrrobbit » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:58 pm

I set up a PHPBB board to move old amiga discussions from a guestbook (which was hijacked by spammers), it took me nearly a week to cut and paste the old messages in the phpbb forum.

The forum in question is for [Amiga in a box] - AIAB.

aiab.pittam.net if you are interested.

ScottTaylor

Post by ScottTaylor » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:58 am

I just wanted the sense of achievement of having a bustling community that used my website to communicate with one another... I guess.. I wasnt in it all for financial gain etc.. cause anyone going in with that idea should turn around and rethink if a forum is for you... :) :wink:

UrbanIntensity

Post by UrbanIntensity » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:07 am

I opened mine because I was one of the unfortunate many who lost 3 years worth of posts when a certain mb host was massively attacked. After finding out that they didn't back up their servers the way any good host does, I decided not to renew. Moved to another site, which was phpbb based & it crashed within 2 weeks. After that, did some research & found out I can host & maintain my own board, do my own back ups. I have had mine for over a year now & I love it.

Although we haven't grown to the number of members we had before the first crash, we're growing at a steady rate which is nice for the size of the site.

karia40

Post by karia40 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:21 pm

I open my forum u I like Rosleyn Sanchez I like other Actors but they have so many forums like Jlo and ricky martin Iam sick of Jlo anyway
I think roselyn sanchez should get notice .I tought it will be something nice to make for her..
sorry for my english

Gracie's Mom

Post by Gracie's Mom » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:28 pm

I was the admin of another site....saw that it was a "Do-able" thing..to get people together to discuss a common interest, so I thought I would "Breakout" and "do my own thing"

My site is devoted to the ABC show Lost..and there are tons of other Lost forums out there...I just thought I jump on the bandwagon!

With the help of my Tech Savvy hubby I was able to start my own forum with a live chat room.

I really enjoy the admin. part of having a forum.

This site and the software available through it has made it SO easy to run and maintain our forum.

I also appreciate this forum for all of the quick and helpful hints from other members.

Thanks everyone!
Kim

http://www.lostfreaks.com

PaganMan

My forum

Post by PaganMan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:39 pm

I started mine up just because I felt that my website would be missing something and a place where visitors could chat with each other.

I am thinking of adding an Invasion and Desperate Housewives Forums.

Geoff

intruder2600

Post by intruder2600 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:19 pm

I always start with forum on my websites - website without forum is like a car without engine :)

best regards,

sonyboy

Post by sonyboy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:16 am

No, just to test my modded forum.

googlevoice

Why?

Post by googlevoice » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:01 pm

To gather together a group of people who share the same interest.

"Build it and they will come..."

Wish it was that easy. I built it but how do I get that group to come?

GV

CardsFanInChiTown

Post by CardsFanInChiTown » Mon May 15, 2006 5:23 am

There weren't any good Cardinal baseball forums with active mods.

penguin11

Post by penguin11 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:05 am

i made my forum because i wanted my own forum but theres not many members but i only started it 2 days ago

Return to “General Discussion”