Why did you open your own forum?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

Please do not treat this thread as a useful way to slip in a bit of an advert for your own board. All spam will be removed and you risk the thread being locked.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
AzNBlade001

Post by AzNBlade001 »

hmm.. i've closed it about twice but i plan to launch it again after next year.

first forums - see if i could do it, just for the heck of it w/ my close group of friends. got aroud 4k before it died off. :(

second forums - middle school alumni. didnt work out so great.

third - going to be for high school alumni in the area. i think it would be more intelligent (is that the right word?) than the likes of myspace, and instant messaging isn't always possible. so basically a way to keep in touch. :D
nlcaldwell

Post by nlcaldwell »

I used to help out with a writers site that was going downhill fast and the admin was showing no interest in picking it back up. So I simply decided to strike out on my own, got a domain, and set up a phpBB board on it. Within a month, I had 100 members, and the site was still growing fast when I put it on hiatus due to time and financial concerns.
Code is poetry.

Also, poetry is poetry.
Cardcaptor Stacey
Name: Stacey

Post by Cardcaptor Stacey »

Well, I love making websites so I wanted to get to know how to do forums. I had an InvisionFree Board and I was so restricted :( I got myself my own domain, then I came across the lovely phpBB. Now I can do what the hell I want!
Call me Stacey.
jcapuccino

Post by jcapuccino »

... because i wanted to find out what the difference was with phpbb and ipb... and stuck with bb's...
if you want blogs, check my favorite site. if you want forums, go phpbaby ^_^
TZX

Post by TZX »

Me and a friend are gonna make our own forums. EMI

Europhic Mediums Inc

We basically cover everything from design to music. anything that is unique and creative. :D

Yes we will be using phpBB :D
PsychicHigh

Post by PsychicHigh »

I run a couple guilds over a few MMO types of games, and needed a central place for everyone to spam.

Just too bad I only convinced about 1/10th of the members to sign up on the forums.
EDOX

Post by EDOX »

Mine was an addition to a family website. I was adding a blogging section to our site and wanted something where my wife could do it easily (she really is not to tech inclined and did not want to learn HTML). Looked into phpBB and got it up and running. Works well for that and a good place for family in other states to talk.

Been adding more and more areas as they are needed. Great tool. So far my site has family and friends. I may expand it to my side business of Computer support sometime soon.
Cat Constantine

Post by Cat Constantine »

Hi! I've come on board to find out about making a forum for my work. I'm on a project to encourage bilingual families in Ireland to use Irish Gaelic more at home (by bilingual, I mean those who have English and Irish Gaelic, or who live in Irish-speaking areas).

So I'll be around, asking lots of annoying questions about designs and about developing an Irish-language forum (especially suited for kids) and all that. :D
Alex.k-

Post by Alex.k- »

i made it as gaaming news, cheas, footbal news, which already passed, well anything that has smthn in common with graphic design, or game news ,online game news <-- massive multiplayer, and that kind of stuf
Quimbly

Post by Quimbly »

There was a local mailing list website for couples dancing news in my town. It had a large following, but I found it lacked a lot of features I wanted. So, I contacted the administrator, told him my vision, he liked it, and the rest is history. What I really wanted was an online community. So, I set up a phpBB install, installed lots of mods, heavily modified myself, and now we've got a real good site.
Alex.k-

Post by Alex.k- »

how did you pay for the backup?
Quimbly

Post by Quimbly »

Alex.k- wrote: how did you pay for the backup?

Who are you talking to?
Alex.k-

Post by Alex.k- »

Quimbly => means -=you=-
Thank you for your help please visit and post my forum. www.excessiveminus.uk.tt
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

Back on topic please.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

Return to “General Discussion”