Why did you open your own forum?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
taliamana

Post by taliamana »

Establishing forums is difficult. You need to generate traffic, have a topic that is of interest to a lot of people and keep working it.

I am interested in doing a reciprocal posting on other forums.

i.e. we would each make 10 posts on each other's forum to help grow the discussion. Please PM me or visit my forum if you are interested in doing this

You need to achieve critical mass. Until you have several active users it goes nowhere.

I am actively promoting my forum. I am growing traffic to my blog and then providing links to my forum. My blog is a finalist in the 2006 Weblog awards so I am getting extra traffic from that and did a press release.

Don't give up!!!
Centre for Emotional Well-Being
Forum: http://www.taliamana.com/forum
Blog: http://taliamana.blogspot.com
bruxy

Post by bruxy »

hmmm... well it's a bit of a funny story really...

i was often debating in controversial topics that were well monitored. There were a couple of guys who used to go at each other, and while their stances were serious, the fighting was really for show. they'd get warned about calling each other names and insulting each other, and sometimes others as well and well, one of them, a very bright, funny, sarcastically witty guy, finally got permanently suspended...

well his opponent was moaning and groaning and complaining so much about his absence that a few friends who knew my job is as a webmistress, asked me if i could 'whip something up'.

i'd already started working on creating another forum, for musicians, that i still really haven't gotten off the ground, (it's my project this winter to finally get it going) so i'd had a taste of phpbb and went for it...

it's an uncensored forum... that is to say, i don't delete or edit posts or members (unless they get seriously out of line and divulge personal info or threaten others or spam) and little by little i began getting members that were tired of being moderated.... i do, however say what i think about an argument that's going off track, but never ever when it's between those two!!!

we don't have a huge membership, just over 100 and probably only 30 of those are regulars, but signups are primarily by invite, and quite a few have been booted out of other forums for their debate habits (i haven't, bellieve it or not haha) and i welcome them, bootprinted butts and all, with open arms.

Anyway, we've just had our two year anniversary, and right from the beginning i've been mod crazy and added all kinds of things to make the place more homey and fun... coppermine photo gallery, amod plus, radplay radio, Addon (sigma) chat, and lots of other features that i've found mostly here and at Pierre's Cat Heirarchy site.

we have nearly 28,000 posts now, not a huge amount, but not too bad either... i like the people there, we're all good friends by now, sometimes it's slow, sometimes it's really lively and i'll keep fixing it up all nice & stuff to make it more homey...

like the bar down the street where you can drop by and have a game of pool and know someone you know will be there, even if it's only the barmaid....

i do hope the site will grow, but i don't mind it happening slowly, so that i can keep up with it and the changes that more and more members will require... it's a labour of loooooveee :) and i'm more interested in quality than quantity.

congratulations to all of you on your myraid of successes.... it's an adventure, ain't it? :D
Last edited by bruxy on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
bruxy

Post by bruxy »

taliamana...

i like your reciprocal posting idea... i'm sure we could find topics in each other's forums that we'd each find interesting enough to make 10 posts.

and just so you all know... it's not an xxx site or anything, just uncensored debate and discussion... and that doesn't mean that we're going at it all the time, just that if anyone feels the need they can let it all out...

it's a good place to scream... but it's also a good place to laugh, both relieve tension.... and isn't your forum about wellbeing, talia? ;)
taliamana

Post by taliamana »

Hi bruxy

That sounds great! I'll send you a PM
Centre for Emotional Well-Being
Forum: http://www.taliamana.com/forum
Blog: http://taliamana.blogspot.com
bruxy

Post by bruxy »

got it... now lets get to it!!!

anyone else interested in talia's reciprocal posting idea? i think it's super!!!

oh... and i've read several pages of the stories and have enjoyed them all... some really made me laugh... i'm coming back to this topic to read the rest... it's really interesting!!! (kinda wild and crazy too!)
lightswitchenator

Post by lightswitchenator »

The community i used to be in was badly very unfairly moderated and things were rotting, the forums mutinied, and I provided the whole technology, we ahve 70 member and 4000+ posts. 1 month old, and we're providing our own content, unique.
Jason217

Post by Jason217 »

To do something good and something others havnt done yet :)
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/search.php
perthmetro.net

Post by perthmetro.net »

to help my local community and as a portal to help my other business interests

[link r3moved]
Liquinn

Post by Liquinn »

My forum reached like 100K :D
dpatel304

Post by dpatel304 »

Well, anything involving computer programming interests me. And, a lot of my free time is spent on forums (mainly ones that discuss video games). I figured, instead of spending so much time just posting, ill start my own, and hopefully make it a large enough site to where I don't feel the need to go anywhere but my own for my forum needs.

I hope to expand it in the future (not sure into what), but for now, its all about video game discussion.
LukiB

Post by LukiB »

I´m using 2 phpBB forums on my site. One for questions about my creations and a hang-out. The other is a creative forum, mostly Role Playing. The size? The more the merrier, but I´m happy right now with the amount of active people.

I got a small present from my host the other day, I got a sofware pakage with auto-submitters to alot of search-engines. YouTube made my video´s big for Dutch viewers and I´m active at forums so alot of friends are there too...
redrider

Post by redrider »

I did it just to learn somethig new. I had the domain and the bandwidth - so why not - oh yeah, and I'm an old fart tring to keep up.
I dunno if my forum will grow. It doesn't matter much.
KHyuga

Post by KHyuga »

Liquinn wrote: My forum reached like 100K :D

That's cool.
100k is a lot. I wonder if I can ever reach that. :?
Bellsg

Post by Bellsg »

A friend and I have just started a new forum because we'd been on two others that were getting a bit big and impersonal for our tastes, and we wanted to learn about running a forum.

We've made it pretty private, an invitation only thing and we're still figuring out how to do all the things required to make it work, but so far so good. by keeping it small, it's unlikely to become cumbersome and be overrun with the problem people who make the really big forums a nightmare.

Oh, and hello, by the way. :D
kylee20061

Post by kylee20061 »

the reason i opened my forums (which is currently broken) is because i though Habbo Hotel© needed a forums so i did. but it never took off much. i advertised it alot in habbo but nobody but a couple of my friends made a account. And my forums are currently dead becuase im diabled the forums but the stupid thing wouldnt let me into the admin panel. it just gave my the "this forum is disabled, please try again later." right now im try to see if i can fix it by asking around on these forums. which havent worked yet. but im sure it will.

Return to “General Discussion”