Is phpBB the foundation of your site?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
bbeep71

Is phpBB the foundation of your site?

Post by bbeep71 »

I was wondering how many people use phpBB as the central foundation of your site, rather than simply the tool to provide the discusion board functionality. I'm working on a major overhaul of my site, going from something that was very static HTML based with a navigation link to my phpBB forums to a format where the phpBB system is the main part of the site - where you go first, and where all other navigation is based from.

I have a number of mods I'm applying to my previously virgin installation to support what I'm going to use to provide the content and features (many of them new features) I want to have at the site - including the overall site navigation.

So, how many have phpBB as the core of your site versus it being just one of the features your site provides?
Dave
Webmaster - The Road Runner Nest
http://www.RoadRunnerNest.com

Rapid Dr3am

Post by Rapid Dr3am »

It depends what you mean by the core.

I run only 2 sites at the moment that use phpBB, one is public and one is very selective.

I have been known to install phpBB and use the system to build a fully dynamic site around it, where the forum is not the real main part of the site, but the user base and authentication is what I was looking for and am using.

So phpBB is the core in that regard, but only 2 of my sites run phpBB.

bbeep71

Post by bbeep71 »

Yea, I guess phpBB as the basis for a fully dynamic site versus just as an add-on to a site based in something else (static HTML or whatever) is what I was asking about. The user database and authentication is something that is really important to me, in my specific site. I'm adding mods for a photo album, the garage mod (being an automotive site, it is perfect), looking at the one portal mod to replace my overall home page, and I've been holding off adding a chat room to my site until I found something that would integrate with the phpBB user database. Single sign-on has been my goal.

On the flip side, it would be interesting to know about how many people's sites primary function is the forum versus those that it's a complimenting part of the whole site My site definately falls into the latter, though the community we are building has definately become the highest volume part of the site.
Dave

nblythin

Post by nblythin »

No, not in my case..

My site is for my business. My phpBB forum is an add-on that I simply host as a favour to my alumni association. There are no links from my site to my forum and vice versa, and the content is totally unrealted. For the core of my (business) site, I use a PHP Content Management System.

p.s. That said, I've been looking at that phpBB2 link at the bottom of this page... So it has an integrated CMS? Anybody here using it? Any insight on how it compares to phpWebSite? If this question is deemed "unappropriate" for general discussion - feel free to PM me with any feedback. I'm just curious.

theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn »

Yes :wink:
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net

R45

Post by R45 »

It's quite a nice thing to do integration wise, you could integrate your forum sessions with your main site as well as utilise the template engine.

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

It isn't for my main site, but will be for my 2 other sites (Once I get them up... ;))

Yawner

Post by Yawner »

not anymore.. i used to run a number of sites that had phpBB and Portal Software, worked like a dream for there intended purposes, however ive since given up those sites and am currently running pages ive designed myself as my site is low-traffic and doesnt actually need a forum, i do however now use Wordpress blogging software..

Yawnster
Alan Kay : "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
Support the OpenDocument Format!

_ollie_

Post by _ollie_ »

Yes, and my site wouldnt be the same without it :)

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Some yes, some no. It's nice if you can start from the beginning using the phpBB core (sessions, user registration, and so on) since you don't have to retrofit later on.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Minodragon

Sort of...

Post by Minodragon »

For my site, I aim to integrate phpBB into my homepage in many ways (latest forum posts, new system, etc.). However, I don't really want the phpBB to be dominant ober the site. Believe it or not, you can get sick of phpBB, and the target audience my site is for (web designers) would feel the same.
"I drank a lava lamp once. It wasn't lava."

Ska4Christ

Post by Ska4Christ »

Yeah, my site used to be more fully phpBB integrated, but I really get tired of redoing so much after each phpBB release! I know that I have to do them for security, so I just give up on reinstalling different addons and mods after a few times. I guess I'm just that lazy... 8)
Grace and Peace,
Todd 8-)

“Fight like a man, scriptures in hand!” – The O.C. Supertones

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

theFinn wrote: Yes :wink:

Wow, a rare visit from the boss-man! 8O

Anyway, phpBB has everything needed to run the ultimate DB-driven, CMS-like, website. With mods for every imaginable function, it is quite useable as a core for a site. But! It is only good for advanced people that do know PHP and MySQL well enough to do their own custom mods and coding.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

ahwm

Post by ahwm »

bbeep71 wrote: I've been holding off adding a chat room to my site until I found something that would integrate with the phpBB user database. Single sign-on has been my goal.

I know of one... We used it on ours for a while...

www.x7chat.com... it integrates nicely with phpBB.. It does have the issue of reaching the max_questions_resource ratheer quickly on some sites, but it has a built-in fix for that.. the author named it MUSE (Multi-user) allowing to assign multiple db users to a single database.. however I think that function only works on MySQL.. though from the sounds of it it's only MySQL that has that need in the first place...

But I couldn't sign out of the chat (and stay logged out) until I logged out of the forum.. don't know about vice versa.. never tried it.. But there is a download oveer there to integrate it fully into phpBB button and everything... One of the themes is based on phpBB's subSilver as well...
"I'm not lazy, I'm motivationally challenged"

bbeep71

Post by bbeep71 »

Wow, the first topic I start on the board here, and the man himself replys. Guess I'm living right! :)

I agree with you, Dog Cow, that's why this major overhaul for my site is moving to phpBB as the foundation. The number of available mods, ranging from small tweaks to completely new functionality speaks volumes about the way phpBB is built. By day, I'm a Lead Developer / Systems Architect for real time, mission critical 24x7 type systems. I'm quite comfortable working with mods and even doing mild tweaks of my own when necessary.

ahwm, thanks for the tip on X7. Matter of fact, I had already found it and have it downloaded. I'm going to bring that online after I get the rest of the site done.
Dave

Return to “General Discussion”