The hardest question of all... how do you get new users?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
god0fgod

Re: The hardest question of all... how do you get new users?

Post by god0fgod » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:32 pm

My biggest problem isn't about the forums, but it's the traffic that would get people on there. I have a board attached to a blog but the blog is not getting the traffic it deserves. I would love it if Google would rank my blog at least on the second page with the search criteria "TimeSplitters 4". Page 6 isn't good enough and that isn't a link to my blog's home page.

I've attempted to spoon-feed Google through SEO but it doesn't work. My blog is highly related to TimeSplitters 4 with good quality content but Google doesn't realise that. Google isn't human and it's AI is not very good. People say incoming links are important but how do you get those if you can't get high rankings to begin with? The blog is ranked highly with other search terms like "Crytek UK" but the traffic is with the term "TimeSplitters 4".

http://www.google.com/trends?q=timespli ... all&sort=0

It's frustrating but at least I get a few views and a few members posting.

Edit: "Battlefront III" high rankings would be the best but I'm not too worried about that since Battlefront III isn't being developed at Crytek UK now.

scottlpool2003
I am too lazy to register

Post by scottlpool2003 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:25 am

Usefull/Unique content will attract visitors to your niche.

There are a few website promotion techniques that may help too such as:

Backlinks;
Use forums, blogs, articles etc by posting useful information and including your link in the signature but never spam! I use Yahoo backlink checker (http://www.siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com) to check how many backlinks my competition has and then I know that I need more than them to rank higher in Google.

Get the word out;
Find forums with your niche and direct users to your niche website, again, don't spam as this will just get your post removed. If users do not know of your website they are unlikely to find it!

SEO;
Search Engine Optimization is a MUST for website owners. This can consist of 2 types. On page SEO is general and includes making sure your hyperlinks have titles. META tags should be correct to the page title as Google will pick these up. Image titles are a must too. SEO will improve your ranking in Google.

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:31 am

scottlpool2003 wrote:Search Engine Optimization is a MUST for website owners. This can consist of 2 types. On page SEO is general and includes making sure your hyperlinks have titles. META tags should be correct to the page title as Google will pick these up. Image titles are a must too. SEO will improve your ranking in Google.
Well, I wouldn't say that SEO is required in order to have a good-running board.

META tags for example aren't used by Google anymore for the ranking of websites. They have been abused too much in the past. Take a look at phpBB.com for example, this board hasn't made any SEO changes, is just running a plain phpBB3 installation with a custom style and still all new posts made on this board are indexed within minutes.

Read this blogpost, it shows the actual situation of phpBB in SEO.
scottlpool2003 wrote:Find forums with your niche and direct users to your niche website, again, don't spam as this will just get your post removed. If users do not know of your website they are unlikely to find it!
I agree with you on this one. One of the tricks you can do on your just started board is get some of your friends up who are interested and start some discussion. Then, on some other board, find a related discussion and participate in it. You might be able to drop in a link to your board so people can find the points your users have brought up and some people might stick on your board further replying to the topic and starting other discussions, this is an easy way to get activity on your board without the need to spam your board on all forums under the sun, as that is something that is generally not appreciated, and just generates bad promotion for your board.

The best promotion is to have people who like your board and participate in discussions to tell their friends about your board and those friends come in and post too. This will create a nice community of people discussing different topics with each other and it's free advertisement for your board.

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:32 pm

Backlinks is hard for my website because it is not possible to affiliate with the big related websites. I'm going to try however when I'm able to get in contact with one of the owners.

CSBWMCC

Post by CSBWMCC » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:10 am

As a new user some very good ideas thanks.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:46 pm

META tags may not be that useful any more but heavy use of the search term in your website content still makes a difference. And of course, if your niche concept name is in your domain name, that helps too. SEO is still useful, it's just not as easily gamed as it was years ago, when people would put all sorts of META tags in their sites and completely fool search engines.

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:15 pm

Yes, the domain is the crucial part. I managed to figure that out. The problem is that domains are annoying and tricky to change.

klkhosting
I've Been Banned!

Post by klkhosting » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:11 pm

Make videos, Make article and build a lots of back links

craiga

Post by craiga » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:03 pm

i dont have a succesful forum, yet, so dont take what i say as gospel

pay for ads on google, yahoo and bing. This can give you a massive amount of traffic, if you can afford it.

Free advertising can also be useful. post a link to your forum on Facebook, Bebo, Twitter. You can also create a facebook or Bebo group

Contact site owners and ask if you can exhange links

Shadow of Nobody

Post by Shadow of Nobody » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:30 am

I've found that the best way to get anyone involved and settled into any community is to simply give them a damn good reason to. There's no point for a person to stick around someplace that doesn't interest them, while at the same time, they may not want to stick around someplace due to not being able to contribute anything to it!

onesimpletech

Post by onesimpletech » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:21 am

social bookmarks, blogs commenting and blog diretories for me.

clarkofox

Post by clarkofox » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:53 am

For me,

I write guest posts on popular blogs in my niche, I usually get 20 new registered users for every post I write.
Write useful articles / tutorials and post them in my forum, submit the tutorials / articles in article / tutorials web sites(good tutorials, pixel2life tutorialized....)

Arrnea

Post by Arrnea » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:36 am

I find that the best way to gather a community is to find something that will appeal to a specific group of users to be targeted.

sleevedbiker

Post by sleevedbiker » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:25 pm

99 out of 100. damn I fell special now lol...
my forum has blown up, sometimes i have 200+ users on at a time.

Thanks for the stats.

BTW. add your forum to search engines, and make it look good.
From my expierence all it takes is a couple people that really enjoy your forum, who are on all the time and posting alot, then other people see how active it is and more people join, then more people see how MORE active it is, and even more people join.

and see what other forums are out there that are like yours. You have to out market them, and offer more with your forum.

I have gotten to the point where i get enough donations to offer Contests often.
Contests bring on ALOT of new people.

If your just starting out then you have a long way to go, it took me about 4 months to get VERY ACTIVE, and now being alittle over a year, it has gone insane, and have about 20 mods on my forum.

you just have to make sure you have the BEST forum in your category out there. thats how you will get all your members.
Hope some of this helps.

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:59 pm

4 months isn't very long.

You're screwed if you don't get enough traffic coming in, in the first place. It will take forever.

You do need to "out market them" to get that traffic coming in but that's the hardest part.

More and more it looks as if the domain name is key. Filling the domain name with the terms you want is an easy way to begin on a good step. It's something I've learnt but learnt too late because it's awkward to change the domain name.

Return to “General Discussion”