The hardest question of all... how do you get new users?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Max CR

Re: The hardest question of all... how do you get new users?

Post by Max CR »

fancier wrote:this may help u <link removed>
The forum reads
You are not authroised to read this forum.
ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG »

Max CR wrote:
The forum reads
That post was removed from view.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing
Max CR

Post by Max CR »

ChrisRLG wrote:
Max CR wrote:
The forum reads
That post was removed from view.
I saw the link when it was available.
mtrs

Post by mtrs »

What about, how can we have a good prune/delete users policy for a better board? Does this topic also cover that issue, or is there any other topic for prune policies? I've observed, one of three users of my board, neither post nor visit-login the board at least 3 months after registration..
johnlanng

Post by johnlanng »

heres a bit of advice.

Ive got a board called
Depthz Of Dzignz

2 admins (me and my gfx partner)
7 Global mods(from the top ten gfx sites and on social networking sites)
4 helpers(gfx experts)
i have 5000 something members
7000 topics
33k posts

i am trying to say ghet more staff.
Ask the top boards and websites to put links up and put links up of their forum.

.:)
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

johnlanng wrote:Ask the top boards and websites to put links up and put links up of their forum.
never thought of that
johnlanng

Post by johnlanng »

yeah..i get two new members every 6 minutes.

i started about 9 days ago.
bbrian017

Post by bbrian017 »

hey blogging also helps!

Create a blog like phpbb

Social Network!
johnlanng

Post by johnlanng »

yeah good advice brian or whatever.lol.

i mostly use a blog for like the starter page of my website.telling you info on your forum then the link to the forum.
joannemojo

Post by joannemojo »

We've been quite lucky. We built up a good fanbase of over 4000 members back in 2004. We had many issues and moved forums a few times and each time members had to re-register.

The most recent before phpbb was a move to fireboard around april time and around 850 members joined us. I have *just* opened the new forum on phpbb 3.0.2 as fireboard is crap. it's been about 1 hour and 20 people have registered. I'm hoping that most people move with us and that we attract more members over time.

We got members because we were the only decent Hanson forum online back then. The rest were basically cliques and very hostile or they kept getting closed down for copyright infringement etc. We offered something that the others didn't. A friendly forum with great members from around the world.

Ofcourse it helps that everyone is there for the same reason. It's a Hanson forum and everyone are Hanson fans.

Even with having our own forums etc we still advertise it when possible. We even went as far as handing out flyers in the queues at Hanson concerts! lol.

Also, I run it with another person. We both own extremely popular hanson fansites which link to the forums so they drive traffic in aswell.
Drawdecnarf

Post by Drawdecnarf »

Okay so join a few boards and put a link in your sig, submit to some free search engines....

... but at the end of the day you can bet your big toe that you're gonna have to spend some money somewhere.

A general discussion site can get somewhere, although it has no real focus it isn't the end of the world cos it's still fun to take part in ~ as long as it has a viewpoint/character and open minded theme itself.

However, in order for a mere general discussion forum to get anywhere, even if it does have some character and individuality to it, you still need to market that type of person, who would be interested in such a characteristic.

Answer: Spend a little money.
BrentonEccles

Post by BrentonEccles »

I used to run a fansite for an online game, and I recieved a considerable number of visitors (at least for me anyway) - the hit counter got way past 100,000 views.
I started a forum and recieved a large number of users, I think it reached about 200 members.

So yes, having a catalyst for a forum helps because I've recently just started one on my new website and the member count is currently 3.
rashavi

Post by rashavi »

For anyone who's had a good experience(s) with advertising places, please let me know through PM. I'm trying to find a good way to advertise, but I'm mostly interested in places OTHER people have had good luck with. but ya send me a pm and it would be much appreciated.
amu1983

Post by amu1983 »

From what I've observed, niche communities prosper faster and better (probably bcoz the web has evolved a lot and has become too competitive). For example, a community of owners of certain model of Nissan car will fetch a decent number of users, but my website - a community of MBA aspirants - is struggling to get past single digit registrations. I believe that's because there must be 100,000+ MBA aspirant communities on the web today, so my website gets buried deep in the Google search results. So if you are starting a community, and haven't yet finalized the 'theme', go for a niche area.

At a risk of digressing and probably starting an argument - I feel, the Google-Friendly URL rewrite MOD will help. It rewrites the page address to include the title of the post, instead of the plain - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3, etc. Although this doesn't affect the efficiency of the Google Crawler, I feel it may get your site a better ranking, due to the weightage to URL words in calculating the page rank. Need proof? Search Google on 'mba rankings' (or any set of popular keywords) and notice that majority of the search result URLs have the search terms in them.

I'm planning to use the MOD.

Please understand that the efficiency of crawler is a different issue from page ranking, and do not reply with this forum's success on Google - how the posts get indexed within minutes and all that.
gavpedz

Post by gavpedz »

Try advertising on forum promotion sites like >>link removed>>
Last edited by darcie on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Rules #1j, #6- please refrain from using this topic to advertise your own site.

Return to “General Discussion”