The hardest question of all... how do you get new users?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
SubZeroMan

The hardest question of all... how do you get new users?

Post by SubZeroMan »

It seems like 99 out of 100 boards go no where. What does it take to get a good sized user base? Is it all in the name? What did the people that were successful do that the many, many that were not, didnt?
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

By not posting support questions in the wrong fourms 8)
starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

Honestly, people should not just make a board to make a board...it needs to serve a purpose.

I run like 5 boards and all of them are successful. Why? They are needed.
One is for my game server, one is for my toolkit support, one for personal use and a couple for business customers.

If you just make a board because you want a board...your going to find it very difficult to get members because there is not set purpose for it.

Maybe other people are different, but I never join a board just because its there.
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!
starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

Anon wrote: By not posting support questions in the wrong fourms 8)

Its not support. Its just discussion, he is not asking WHERE to advertize his board.
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!
SubZeroMan

Post by SubZeroMan »

starfoxtj wrote:
Anon wrote:By not posting support questions in the wrong fourms 8)

Its not support. Its just discussion, he is not asking WHERE to advertize his board.

Yes, thank you. And I'm not about to post a link to my board here. I'm just talking. And yes I think my board will server a real purpose but its still a challenge to get it know to the people that could use it.
starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

Well I dont know of any special tips really for getting your board users.

My most popular board is for my game server (20,000 posts and about 800 users). Users found it because they would play on my server, and see the banners.

My business boards gain users because they are my customers and I gave them the URL. Similar with my toolkit board (although its still tiny).

Do you have a similar use? Is it specific for support/products etc? Or is it like a general topic/chat board?
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

I think startfoxj is right, if a board has a purpose and is presented to the right group of people it will gain many new members simply by word of mouth. If you achieve that then you're set because word of mouth beats any other advertising technique.
XeRo^
Name: Tyler

Post by XeRo^ »

Also.. Keep a link to the site in your site on all the sites you post in the forums. Its very useful for referering people to your site. Who knows.. They might just stay. :)
Millennyum

Post by Millennyum »

My forum is part of my website. People find useful info on the website and often decide to visit the forum as well, to post questions of to have a discussion with people with the same interests.

Indeed, think about the purpose first. Also, a narrowly defined subject will perhaps attrackt less users, but those users will be more devoted and post more often than those that see your forum merely as one of the many places where they can chat.

I opened my board for one-time-only guests, but also made it possible to register and gave registered members access to an off-topic member-only forum, which makes them feel more special.
Charlie Argueta

Post by Charlie Argueta »

You also need publications and quality.

If you are starting a game related board, do reviews, look for news instead of waiting for users or users start topics.

A good website is the one that has what the user needs, if they need info in a certain topic, you should provide them this info.

See Ya :wink:
solid

Post by solid »

Just offer money for new members. That's a quick way to do it.
crazyasses.tk

Post by crazyasses.tk »

solid wrote: Just offer money for new members. That's a quick way to do it.

Lol, so what happens when your wallet runs out? :roll:
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
(")_(")into your signature to help him gain world domination.
MOST PWNAGE THREAD EVER
f(x)=sinx

Post by f(x)=sinx »

crazyasses.tk wrote: Lol, so what happens when your wallet runs out? :roll:

Beg? :lol:
xdarkday

Post by xdarkday »

Sex favors.

Kidding.... Content of the site is what brings users.
HossFly

Post by HossFly »

A couple of items needed to grow a community website/forum is to offer needed content and content should be the primary focus. What are you going to give members to read that they can't get elsewhere. What is making your site "special"

After you get your content up...spread the word about your site (no spam) Make sure you put a link in your sig. on all the forums you visit. Buy some banner space on related sites...if your site is dealing with a local issue/theme...contact the newspapers and local websites (they are starving for content for their own sites)

Then the wait game begins. Be polite to the people that start to join. Give them a reason to stay and to pass your info along to others.

If all else fails...try the sex favors :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”