The hardest question of all... how do you get new users?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Re: The hardest question of all... how do you get new users?

Post by Volksdevil » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:01 am

Meh. :( I'm on the verge of just deleting my latest Board. I've put in so much time and effort and yet it just doesn't seem to want to get going...It's very specific with loads of personally hand written stuff too.

Facebook and application style communication wins. And I'm too oldskool to be bothered about designing for people who don't use proper computers...(Damn laptops get on my nerves, never mind tablets, phones etc!)

Think my forum days are over after a good 10yrs tbh! :|

BiG_SerGiO

Post by BiG_SerGiO » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:41 pm

Volksdevil wrote:Facebook and application style communication wins. And I'm too oldskool to be bothered about designing for people who don't use proper computers...(Damn laptops get on my nerves, never mind tablets, phones etc!)|
FB and kinda like those come and go, phpBB have been here for ages and it will keep working ;)

HagoromoOtsutsuki
Name: Hagoromo Otsutsuki

Post by HagoromoOtsutsuki » Sat May 03, 2014 1:06 am

Gaining positive reviews from people about my site :)

mariank

Post by mariank » Sun May 25, 2014 12:31 pm

I've read a lot of the posts here (not all 27 pages :roll: ) but I'm still not getting new members for my board. I have a lot of original content articles and I have a full forum (most the posts are by me using fake names) but I can't get google to place me high at all

Maybe someone can tell me if they think my board has potential

Thanks

* removed *
Last edited by marian0810 on Sun May 25, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link removed as per https://www.phpbb.com/rules/#show-off

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Sun May 25, 2014 3:23 pm

mariank wrote: * removed *
  1. 1346 px mininum width: try to size your internet browser window to a lower width and see a couple of your design elements go nuts, i.e. the links near the board keyword search box.
  2. Watermarked pictures - the best indicator of non-original content.
  3. Left and right pane show always pictures. Why? Wasted space. And not everybody is able to script it away on his personal needs.
  4. Left and right pane show always the same pictures. Now they not only annoy but also bore me.
  5. Needless capitalizing: why does every word being with big letters in most titles and descriptions?
  6. Redundancy in texts: "Please Introduce Yourself ... but please introduce yourself". While other people might not be so picky I feel like reading a foreigner with starting skills in that language.
  7. Too many forums for such a tiny content. Start with 3 at max, and after one forum has more than 10 pages you can think of creating another one and move existing topics.
  8. Folder icon backgrounds don't fit the forum row background. To me this indicates beginners. Hell, it's even a GIF, yet you didn't choose to make them transparent?
  9. The publicons promise valid XHTML and CSS, yet both is invalid at least on the index.
  10. Why do the two lists on the initial site (recent & popular) have a height limit? More horrible: scrollbars inside scrollbars. If the administrator/designer of that site is happy with that then I'm wrong in this place.
Last edited by marian0810 on Sun May 25, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link removed as per https://www.phpbb.com/rules/#show-off

mariank

Post by mariank » Sun May 25, 2014 3:34 pm

WOW! - thanks for all those comments. I'll have to go through them slowly and I'll have questions since I don't exactly understand them all. Might take me till tomorrow
Thanks a lot

(anyone else want to add before I get to work?)

marian0810
Former Team Member
Name: Marian

Post by marian0810 » Sun May 25, 2014 4:08 pm

mariank wrote:(anyone else want to add before I get to work?)
You mean besides the fact that posts like that are not allowed here? ;)

https://www.phpbb.com/rules/#show-off
You and me, time and space. You watch us run!

mariank

Post by mariank » Sun May 25, 2014 4:21 pm

marian0810 wrote:
mariank wrote:(anyone else want to add before I get to work?)
You mean besides the fact that posts like that are not allowed here? ;)

https://www.phpbb.com/rules/#show-off
OOps sorry (I guess). A post in General Discussion about ".. how do you get new users?" seems like a good place to ask other phpBB users for tips.

Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx » Sun May 25, 2014 8:03 pm

If I remember right, your site is about baby's/child products and or discussion and, just my personal opinion here, I'm not sure a parent would want to get so openly social about their children on public forums.

Maybe it's different where your from, I don't know.

mariank

Post by mariank » Mon May 26, 2014 5:11 am

Peter77sx wrote:If I remember right, your site is about baby's/child products and or discussion and, just my personal opinion here, I'm not sure a parent would want to get so openly social about their children on public forums.

Maybe it's different where your from, I don't know.
That's why there are screen names.Women love forums cause you can ask all your personal questions with nobody knowing who you are. Do you know who I really am? Am I using my real name? What country do I live in? I've joined health forums with totally bogus screen names and emails.

tmbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tmbackoff » Mon May 26, 2014 4:37 pm

All posts regarding the styling of that particular board have been split off into a new topic. Please continue support here: Fixing the styling of my board

mrjon

Post by mrjon » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:02 pm

i would say.. advertise, advertise, advertise

But where? That's the hard part. Can't post on other forums and websites. They will ban you.

I always try exchanging links with other forum members or websites. The main source is Paid Advertising. Google Adsense Banners. But it can be expensive.

poppy4

Post by poppy4 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:31 pm

This is an interesting subject. I've always appreciated forums for gathering information and for helping others (if I can). However, I do think that for various reasons, one of which is ease of use, these days people seem to prefer Facebook etc. Forums are losing out to social networking and there is not much to be done about that.

My forum is about one single subject and I don't know how it got going because for a fair while it was a struggle. I did spend a lot of time on it, being friendly and trying to welcome new members. I've also tried to involve members in the running of it and some of the things that have evolved have come from their suggestions. The forum is unusual in that it is a closed one. I have canvassed the members about this and they actually prefer it this way. It makes it like a friendly club. It is also the only forum covering this particular area of interest in the UK. Our Google ranking moved up gradually and now we are on page two of a search for the main subject that the forum covers.

It was quite small at first but the number of sub forums has grown as the need arises so now we have quite a few more than we had at the beginning. However, I have always sought to keep it small and simple. The newer sub forums are about the subject of the forum and we have not deviated into other areas. I totally agree with previous comments about forums that are too big and cover far too much subject matter. I think you need to hone in on a particular area of expertise/interest.

We run a very tight ship - no swearing, no abuse or nastiness and we don't discuss religion, race or politics. Everyone is made welcome but they have to post an introduction before gaining full access to the forum. I delete none posting members if they have not posted within ten days. I also delete members who have not been back for one year in an attempt to keep the membership current.

I don't have the answer to why so many forums fail but I suppose it is best not to expect too much and to be prepared to put a fair bit of effort into it. It's no good if you set one up and don't visit it for days on end. Maybe if a forum fails it is because there isn't an actual need for it.

noth

Post by noth » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Poppy I like your post (above) and am interested in your reference to Facebook

Yes I think you are right these days people seem to prefer Facebook etc. ... and the etc I take it is Twitter 8-)

The ironic thing is that these social networks are less sophisticated than a phpBB board could be e.g. different access levels to sub forums/ password entry forums and on top of that, many forums still have threads and discussions going back literally YEARS :shock:

If you look back on Facebook and Twitter how far back are you going to go? 2 weeks!?

but they do seem to be winning the war, in fact have they won it? nevertheless I am glad to see 3.1.0 on the horizon and some great praise for it evident during it's successful development - this is very heartening

the question "The hardest question of all... how do you get new users?" is quickly followed of course by "The next hardest question of all ... how do you get the new users to actually participate??" :lol:

poultrymatters

Post by poultrymatters » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:08 pm

I think it is true that the majority are interacting on facebook etc these days. People find it easier to find, and easier to use in so many ways. That's the perception whether it's true or not. I have found that having a facebook login system for the phpbb board is very helpful for getting people to login. They don't have to remember another username and password, and when something of interest is posted on facebook they can come to the site, log in easily and take a look.

I am very hopeful that if those of us that still have boards surviving the facebook migration can hang on for another year or so, some better options might become available. The new 3.1 in development is very encouraging. I like the sound of the hook/plugin system and I'm hoping that new mods that are easier to install may be developed in time. Maybe better cross-platform integration will be developed by someone. Not likely to be done here, but maybe someone out there will realise how important it may be for the survival of phpbb boards. They are still far superior to facebook. We just need to make it easier and more desirable for people to be on them.

Return to “General Discussion”