The hardest question of all... how do you get new users?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
antonjw2

Re: The hardest question of all... how do you get new users?

Post by antonjw2 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:21 am

poultrymatters wrote:I have found that having a facebook login system for the phpbb board is very helpful for getting people to login.
Does this keep them logged in to the board once they have logged in with it once?

Also, can they still pick a forum username, or do they just go under their real (Facebook) name? Interested in which mod you have used to achieve this, if you don't mind sharing.

Holger

Post by Holger » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:42 am

The Alternate Login Mod is very useful and does the above (optional).

reptileguy

Post by reptileguy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:00 pm

People complain about Facebook on Facebook, and then stay on Facebook :D
But the age of phpbb-forums is not over. Forums will always be more suitable for in-depth discussions. Keep your forum interesting, and people will find it ;)

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:55 pm

Well, I'm just bringing back my previous post (Below) as I stuck with it and changed hosting company. And I swear that since doing that, my board has started to take off now! :D Just shows having a good host that can provide a fast and reliable site really can help!
Volksdevil wrote:Meh. :( I'm on the verge of just deleting my latest Board. I've put in so much time and effort and yet it just doesn't seem to want to get going...It's very specific with loads of personally hand written stuff too.

...Snip...

Holger

Post by Holger » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:27 am

reptileguy wrote:People complain about Facebook on Facebook, and then stay on Facebook :D
But the age of phpbb-forums is not over. Forums will always be more suitable for in-depth discussions. Keep your forum interesting, and people will find it ;)
There are some competing (large) FB-groups about the same (niche-)subject as my forums, but my forum had a recordmonth in terms of posts and users in January this year. So: FB is not taking over.
Show that you care about your users (we added SSL/https last month) and be present!

Volksdevil, congrats (is it the Corrado-forum?)!
Yeah, as I wrote somewhere, it is very frustrating if the website is down or slow. This is the main reason for people to only visit once!
If a website is FAST and always available but the content is not so much, people will still look at it now and then.
And if a website is FAST and available AND has rich content ... well then you have won - and you will also win over Fakebook and Twatter.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:21 am

reptileguy wrote:But the age of phpbb-forums is not over
Agreed. BB's are a different animal to FB and Twitter etc. and fill a different niche. I've been using BB's since compuserve days, they are still here and probably will be when social media is dead. I used to run a packet (ham radio) BBS in DOS in the 80's/90's and that was fun! Personally I find FB lame, not quite so Twitter but neither are my cup of tea.

Vive la phpBB!!
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Forza Garibaldi

Jammy Johnny
Name: John

Post by Jammy Johnny » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:44 am

I get new members to my board through word of mouth. The hobby that my board was created for has lots of enthusiasts worldwide and lots of them turn up at events called rallies. My forum members mention our url to their friends and so on. Its amazing how quickly a board can grow.
The hardest thing is getting them to post because lots of new members tend to read posts rather than posting.

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:47 pm

Holger wrote: Volksdevil, congrats (is it the Corrado-forum?)!
Yeah, as I wrote somewhere, it is very frustrating if the website is down or slow. This is the main reason for people to only visit once!
If a website is FAST and always available but the content is not so much, people will still look at it now and then.
And if a website is FAST and available AND has rich content ... well then you have won - and you will also win over Fakebook and Twatter.
Yep, the forum in my sig, and I completely agree about the speed thing...Especially as I've definitely seen an improvement since the site became much more speedy.

cally6008

Post by cally6008 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:57 pm

Volksdevil - Can I just ask ... does the facebook / twitter meta descriptions etc, work on 3.1 ?

Austin Scott

Post by Austin Scott » Thu May 07, 2015 6:26 am

Hi all,
The trick I used to get new users on my website is as follows:
1. I post on my friends wall about my forum.
2. Use a link referral site to make my website famous.
3. Use Google trends to check about the burning topics of the time.
Try this also for your website, blog, forum or anything you want to make famous.
Last edited by darcie on Thu May 07, 2015 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed, not necessary for support, 5b

messikecil

Post by messikecil » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:28 pm

Austin Scott wrote:Hi all,
The trick I used to get new users on my website is as follows:
1. I post on my friends wall about my forum.
2. Use a link referral site to make my website famous.
3. Use Google trends to check about the burning topics of the time.
Try this also for your website, blog, forum or anything you want to make famous.
what is your forum?

Mihailo

Post by Mihailo » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:44 pm

How do you get a new members?

Just ask yourself: "Why did I register on a forum?" "Why do I like this it?" (Any forum)
If you have the answers, do "it" on your forum.

Of course advertise your forum, invite your friends.
If you have enough members, make a giveaway and probably they will call their friends.

Bullseye!

Post by Bullseye! » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:15 pm

A lot of good points raised in this thread

I started my board in February 2010, the activity has had it's ups and downs, but I have persevered over the last 5 years, I now have people come on there to post, mainly because I do dog training days and we talk about the training days, I am also a photographer, so I end up with a lot of photos for people to look at, the people who come to the training days like to go on there and see the photos & 9 times out of 10 they will leave comments, I also have a section for people to talk about training & diet advice & every now & then I have a photo competition with real prizes, the photo competitions have their pros and cons, the pros being an influx of new members joining the forum and taking part in the comps to win "free stuff" but the cons being some of the same people tend be to what I call "hit & run" meaning, they join for the sole purpose of entering a photo competition & then never come back, I also have a system where by people can't post until they have made an introduction, if they fail to do this after six months they will be deleted, they agree to this when signing up............ ok I'm running on a bit now, but I guess the point I am making is like many others have stated in this thread, keep your board special, keep the content exclusive ie; don't post it on social media, but more encourage your FB friends (if you use FB, I don't) to look at your forum, some will "like" the post and bugger off, others will probably stay & above all keep the gimmicks to a minimum, install extensions that will make the board easier to use rather than just making it look pretty & try to refrain from making too many sections as this will result in posts being split up, keep the sections in proportion to the amount of people using your board. Image

Anyway that's my view on it, it's not always going to work but you have to adjust it, as times change.

Take care.

~John~

zigglr

Post by zigglr » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:35 pm

David K wrote:I agree the best way to get users is to post about topics that are heavily talked and asked about such as gaming, business, coding, etc. People don't just discuss for the sake of doing so - they want answers, esp when it relates to making money from or traffic to their site, usually running hand in hand.
But how do you get users to see the things you post in the first place? I have a forum where I post very useful methods and tips that i've used to make a lot of money, yet I can't get 1 sign up on my forum.

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:13 pm

zigglr wrote:But how do you get users to see the things you post in the first place?
If we knew the answer to that we would all be millionaires by now.

It is very difficult to get a board "off the ground" if you do not have a user base to start from. One thing that I have heard being done is for you to create several accounts and post under different user names - whether this is ethical or not is another question all together.

Return to “General Discussion”