The hardest question of all... how do you get new users?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: The hardest question of all... how do you get new users?

Post by warmweer »

There have been a couple of topics/posts about artificially increasing member count.
A quick search uncovered how to edit code Total members looks like more members?? :roll:
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

Pretty silly :shock: :lol: to artificially increase the number of members.

You can have a forum with thousands of members who write nothing. There are forums with far below than 100 members who are fully active.
And what kind of impression I get as a visitor / interested, if there are 10'000 members in a forum, but hardly any topics and posts! The same, if all contributions contain the same user name apparently all from the operator.

In any case, I remove the long time inactive with no post. Especially the one-day flies.

The topic, the content, the daily activity especially writing, the name of the Internet address, that is important to make a forum interesting for visitors.
If, for example, I open a forum for extremely rare diseases, I have to expect that I will not have too many members. But that still does not mean that there will be no activity in the form of new contributions.

It may also be that you have thousands of visitors daily. This shows me that the forum is still interesting despite the lack of new posts. It is then just a kind of public archive.
GaiaBudz

Post by GaiaBudz »

warmweer wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:52 pm
There have been a couple of topics/posts about artificially increasing member count.
A quick search uncovered how to edit code Total members looks like more members?? :roll:
See, that is just lousy. But creating a few accounts amongst yourself spread out between different proxies opened in different windows. It helps with the seemingly organic distribution if content between members. While posting content yourself is fine, and will work to help with SEO boosting. But it looks more alive if that content is being made and spread by different members. Eventually you will get actual traffic, from real people, not just yourself, and eventually start to gain real people as actually members too.

You will never get caught so long as you make sure it’s not obviously you, and you mask your IP with a different IP per each individual account you made. Sometimes you got to fake it to make it, like Donald Trump
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

That technique is called sockpuppet and people using it can be spotted by making the same mistakes (i.e. in grammar, punctuation, terms, logic...) and that they all seem to sit in a similar timezone. It also doesn't create content, it only inflates your board.
Holger

Post by Holger »

As stated above, you dont need to do that.
Make the initial content by yourself, with you account. Get friends and other persons with similar interest to join in.
Random American

Post by Random American »

I never understood the idea of inflating member numbers with fake accounts. I've seen many do it in some shape or form and it never seems to work.

Return to “General Discussion”