do you earn money from your forum?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Enough from the google ads to pay for the hosting with a little bit left over.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
adventure_of_link

Post by adventure_of_link »

I just pay the $30/month (or whatever) to my ISP, and I run mine from home, for fun.
fullphaser

Post by fullphaser »

adventure_of_link wrote: I just pay the $30/month (or whatever) to my ISP, and I run mine from home, for fun.
same here, no need to try and make any money off of it :)
Temple of Technology Looking for affiliates and members always.
atchor

Post by atchor »

Well the fact is, we - administrators of our forums need to cope with this hard situation, when the board has to be located on expensive hosting plan with expensive domain registration. If we're not so lucky to sucesfully run a charity organisation that may gather some money for the forum, we need to organise some other way of supporting costs.

Sometimes I try to generate a bit of income just by putting temporary adds displaying only while on index page but as I said, it's temporary.

What is more, I try to sell something that may be valuable to others... like collection of stamps or coins. It's not a top business ever though I may call it a little help for my wallet :)
matt1206
Name: Matt Worthington

Post by matt1206 »

We have regular members donate to help with the cost of hosting. An example is for a donation which covers 1 months hosting, they can have a pop3 e-mail account with theirusername@mysite.co.uk for a year. No profit is being made, everything is going back into the site.
alink1000

Post by alink1000 »

In my past forums, ads never worked out all that well, due to the fact that I didn't really have a big community and have much traffic coming to my forums. And ta hell with hosts, I'd just use a webserver; free. :D
erk
Former Team Member

Post by erk »

Yes I earn some money (forum is actually only a part of my site). Really small amounts right now. Like $10 each month. But I never was looking at it as a way to get rich quick. And I have my rules for what is acceptable, because I'm also surfing the internet and I know what can be annoying. So on my page I have:
No pop-ups, nothing breaking the reading process.
No image-adds at all (Only AdSense textlinks).
Everything in the background colors (no flashing, screaming ads) but still clearly separated from the content.
No asks for donations.
No fraudulent clicks or asking for clicks in the name of support of my page.
And I don't put adds on every free space I can find.
SurveyWorld.org
SAP AG is the evil version of Microsoft Corp.
beatme101

Post by beatme101 »

My site (and thus also forum) is down right now 'till next month, intentionally, but I will speak as though it is not down.

I would think a web site in it's entirety would gain you more money than just a section of a site such as a forum.

I don't make any money through any of my site. I try to get a little money through Google ads (ads is spelled a-d-s, not a-d-d-s, add != ad) on my web site and forum, and a paypal donation button on my web site, but I haven't actually recieved anything. I just don't get enough visitors. And I really don't like ads that much so I wouldn't put anything on my web site worse than Google's text ads, because everyone knows how annoying image ads and flash ads are.. People always avoid the sites that use ads that distract viewers from the actual page content by moving or flashing or whatever.
atchor

Post by atchor »

alink1000 wrote: In my past forums, ads never worked out all that well, due to the fact that I didn't really have a big community and have much traffic coming to my forums. And ta hell with hosts, I'd just use a webserver; free. :D

I think running a website on the free server for a longer time is day-by-day more risky, cause I know, what the word "free" means today. I don't think there's always necessity to support our forums/sites.

I used to save money. I bought very cheap hosting plan with 500mbs, 5gbs monthly transfer and full equiped CPanel X. I support this on my own and as far as now, the site is growing well.

You may probably think I'm rich. But nothing more confusing. I pay about 10 euros/yr for a hosting and about 3 euros/mo for promoting the site.
Rajapan

Post by Rajapan »

I have been using adsense for the last two years. Now I am also trying adbrite and TLA. I think nothing is better than adsense.
~:MOK:~

Post by ~:MOK:~ »

erk wrote: Yes I earn some money (forum is actually only a part of my site). Really small amounts right now. Like $10 each month. But I never was looking at it as a way to get rich quick. And I have my rules for what is acceptable, because I'm also surfing the internet and I know what can be annoying. So on my page I have:
No pop-ups, nothing breaking the reading process.
No image-adds at all (Only AdSense textlinks).
Everything in the background colors (no flashing, screaming ads) but still clearly separated from the content.
No asks for donations.
No fraudulent clicks or asking for clicks in the name of support of my page.
And I don't put adds on every free space I can find.

Thats the way it should be. People can smell a forum created for money a mile away.
www.chatterbuggy.com : Interfaith religious community forum!
Solutions

Post by Solutions »

Nop, i dont have any ads or something, i'm have the forum for fun to make money! :)
SommerNyte

Post by SommerNyte »

My site is currently free, but some members give donations. Between donations and ads, I make a very comfortable amount per month.

Now we are switching to a paid forum, and we'll see what happens, but I expect monthly revenue to drop, at least at first...
steve2512

Post by steve2512 »

Well..all these online things are so complicated, I'm not an expert and do get confused many times. I see many people earning money from their site while others giving away money to people surfing their site Strange! Just have a look at this site [camm15h : spam] they are offering $500 gifts to their visitors:)
MoneyMaker

Wow

Post by MoneyMaker »

The whole point of my site is to make money. However, not for me - for the members of the community. As such, the forum is currently ad-free.

Return to “General Discussion”