How to be a Great Moderator! Tips

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Ray12

How to be a Great Moderator! Tips

Post by Ray12 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:09 pm

New to phpBB. Am a new moderator for a software community forum.

Question: What are some tips on how to be a great moderator?
  • What are some of the things they have to do

What can they do to add the greatest value

What are some tips on being a moderator

What does it take to do a good job?

Some interesting stories are...
Thanks for your contributions.
Ray12
Central NJ USA

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:09 pm

it's simple: follow the rules as laid out by the board owner/administrator and enforce them in the manner required by your title. inevitably, some people will be upset with you at some point, but dems da breaks. comes with the territory. it's when you start enforcing your personal opinions about subjects instead of just doing your job that a problem arises....
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.

imaqtpie

Post by imaqtpie » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:16 pm

Most of a moderator’s mistakes and regrets come from over moderating a forum rather than under moderating.

nblythin

Post by nblythin » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:06 pm

TC wrote: it's simple: follow the rules as laid out by the board owner/administrator and enforce them in the manner required by your title. inevitably, some people will be upset with you at some point, but dems da breaks. comes with the territory. it's when you start enforcing your personal opinions about subjects instead of just doing your job that a problem arises....
Absolutely, 100% correct!

Just to add my 2 cents worth to the part about "enforcing" your boards rules:
1. Your board must have rules, that are clearly written and posted in a prominent location. (don't expect people to remember what they agreed to when registering).

2. I much prefer the method of editing a post (to the point where it can remain in place); adding a comment saying what rule was broken; and then locking it. In my opinion, simply deleting a post (although sometimes necessary) doesn't help the boards community to learn.

3. If its bad enough to warrant outright deletion - its also bad enough to warrant a formal warning (provided you have a warning-leads-to-banning policy in place).

One other little thing that I've done on my board (not sure if anyone else would agree with this method, or not) is that I create a new / seperate moderator log-in for each moderator. That way, if they are participating in a lively debate or argument, which my board has a lot of, they are posting as a user - not as a moderator.

I spent time in the military, and that idea came to me as a form of being "in uniform/on-duty" vs. being "out of uniform/off-duty". In many instances the general population of my board doesn't know that the user "Joe" is the same person as the moderator "Smith". I find this leads to far fewer allegations of "abuse of power". As long as the moderators act objectively / fairly when logged in with moderator priviledges, there are few problems.

Again, it's just my 2 cents worth. But I believe that clear rules, enforced and referenced when enforcing is the key. After all, when you get a speeding ticket, the cop tells you how fast you were going, and the ticket referrs to the part of the highway traffic act that you violated. Same idea.

Cheers,
Neil

Auron316

Post by Auron316 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:47 pm

1. Dont take on more than you can handle. Being a moderator is great, but useless to the site/board Admin if you cant carry out ur duties

2. Dont be afraid to create ideas or suggestions....if you are picked as a Mod then you must be a valued site member, so if the Admin team is gud then they will listen to ur ideas

3. Follow ur site rules! Mods set the standards for members to follow!

4. Never, ever, be afraid to give a member a warning, regardless of who it is, be it a friend or another mod. If they are a sensible human being they will realise what they have done. And never play favourites

5. Finally - enjoy! Modship is a privilege not a birthright!

Best of luck!

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:36 pm

Also another good forum you'd might want to check out is http://www.theadminzone.com/index.php They have lots of resources.
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

TGI-ECT

Post by TGI-ECT » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:52 pm

I am very perplexed by a moderator's response to a post of mine here in "General Discussion".

I also am in the interesting position of having a new User ID and so the lack of respect I might ordinarily have if I had a couple of thousand posts already.

It's just that I have never been a believer in the "iron fist" style of moderating. I believe a moderator should "communicate" with the members.

Rules are all well-and-good but there is so very much grey area and the key I believe is to be communicative.

Instead of stating a thread is "way off-topic" and likely to get locked, I think it's best to first indiacte what exactly you, the moderator, feels is the off-topicness that you see and then there's no guessing on the members' part as to what might have piqued your interest.

Any thoughts?
Not TGIF. Not TGIM. It's TGI "ECT". Pronounced "ekt"

zerokewlz

Post by zerokewlz » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:53 am

Personally I feel that forums are for discussion. Therefore, I kind of run my mod team hands off. We don't have specific rules nor guideslines users must follow, just common sense stuff. Generally, people are smart enough to follow the forum descriptions, if not we can just move the post quickly enough rather that warning and locking posts. I've only had one person break that trust and freedom in two years with over 50 staff between that time (currently at about 20 or so)

I try not to make it a job for them, rather a privledge. And the users respect that, we have a very friendly little community with 2500 visitors a day, maybe thats the key though to do this, small to midsize community.

TGI-ECT

Post by TGI-ECT » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:03 am

That's amazing.

You must be a great manager and communicator.

Or you have an exceptional forum community.

Or both.

Sounds great.
Not TGIF. Not TGIM. It's TGI "ECT". Pronounced "ekt"

Ryan_W

Post by Ryan_W » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:46 pm

As a moderator, you should try and maintain control and leadership of your forum, while still listening to, and perhaps adopting some of the suggestions of your members. One of the most important thing to do is to be fair at all times and treat all of the members of the forum same.

Viper07

Post by Viper07 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:09 pm

In my opinion, some of the moderating on here is a bit OTT. For example, some threads are locked with messages saying 'Try posting this on Support', could the moderators not just move the thread across to that forum?

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:42 pm

Not a support forum for anything at all, such topics will be locked and spam deleted on sight with offending user(s) reminded/warned/banned as needed.

We just follow the rules - although sometimes we have been know to move a topic if it is a new user or someone whose English is not so good and I think we seldom send the official warning over it.
We do try to be fair - honest. 8O

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

delta3

Post by delta3 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:12 am

imaqtpie wrote: Most of a moderator’s mistakes and regrets come from over moderating a forum rather than under moderating.

Excellent point.

Sometimes mods (or even admins) will even overreact after an overreaction. And since they can stifle feedback, they don't get a chance to do a balanced post hoc analysis.

SAK `

Post by SAK ` » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:00 pm

Whether moderator, administrator, or just another registered user/guest, it pays not to abuse any message boards, regardless of whatever rules were once placed on the table. Sometimes it is best to be a moderator, because administrators face more responsibilities than a moderator.

$.@.K.
The Serial AD Killa trademark is no more. 2003-2007

nameslot

Post by nameslot » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:46 pm

I definately needed this thing as I am hiring some new moderators on my forum this will be a good guideline to follow.

Return to “General Discussion”