New Jersey Law to Outlaw Anonymous Speech on Internet?!?!?!

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
MetalHellsAngel

New Jersey Law to Outlaw Anonymous Speech on Internet?!?!?!

Post by MetalHellsAngel » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:05 am

Check this, out and then spread the word, THIS LAW CAN'T PASS!!! (not to sound like an old person but CONTACT YOUR LOCAL OFFICIALS AND RAISE HE**)

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.p ... 0616160937

allowing a law like this to pass would require anyone who host's a forum to keep personal records on all thier users (something as well know is not going to ever be possible). We've all seen that bull info posted in some users profile, because people like thier anonimity (spell?). This is yet another law designed to take away another right and I'm down right sick of it. I like to keep my personal information to myself and DO NOT want to have to share it with someone on the internet. This law has got to be the stupidest thing I have heard sense well I don't know when but come on.

First of all how could something like this ever be inforced. They may as well shut down all forums, blogs and personal websites now because that's where this is leading to.

What do you think???
System Info:Mxbb Portal Version 2.7.6 | phpbb2 Version 2.0.18 | Abyss Web Server X1 | Php 4.4.1 | MySql 4.0.25 | O.S. Windows Xp Pro SP2

Noize Pollution Just Makes Sense

starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:59 am

Why do people do things like this? I mean, does he know about the internet and privacy? Does he have a brain? (sorry, but with some people you wonder...)

Here is the government demanding records from google and so on to keep kids safe, YET here is this guy wanting to make law REQUIRING anyone on a forum, including kids to give their address! What if the server is hacked? What if the admin's computer is comprimised? What if the admin is a stalker who wants to hurt these kids?
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!

rick`

Post by rick` » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:43 am

Good thing for me that my server isn't in the USA :-?

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:48 am

Good thing I could care less about the US's policy to the internet.

micaribe

Post by micaribe » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:00 am

phantomk wrote: Good thing I could care less about the US's policy to the internet.

Perhaps you should. The most popular Internet companies like Google, Yahoo!, and Microsoft are U.S. based companies and thus the U.S. government has an impact on them. Whether you're a U.S. citizen or not, you're going to be effected in one way or another.
- Matt

Did you know... "mi caribe" is Spanish for "my Caribbean"

www.micaribe.net || community.micaribe.net || About Me!
No support via PM

phantomk

Post by phantomk » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:25 am

Wheather they are or are not based in the US is not a factor for me, I beileve the Internet should be goverend under its own rules seperate from what a country allows/dissallows, in other words just because the US says jump, doesn't mean I will jump :)

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:52 am

We already have a thread about this, however it's over at area51.

Yawner

Post by Yawner » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:35 pm

Well ill stick to this one for now..

I have also seen discussions on this, I wouldnt get too scared.. the law he is trying to pass would only be valid for the State of New Jersey, So if google, Microsoft, Yahoo all moved all their servers to New Jersey it might be a threat but at present its looking more like a little bit of fun.. Personally I do think tis a good idea in princple, but whats stopping people from just putting in Fake Names and addresses? Nothing.. So is there really any need for it? Not Really..

Yawnster
Alan Kay : "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
Support the OpenDocument Format!

micaribe

Post by micaribe » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:39 pm

phantomk wrote: just because the US says jump, doesn't mean I will jump :)

Fair enough, but just remember that the U.S. government has longer arms than you may think ;)
- Matt

Did you know... "mi caribe" is Spanish for "my Caribbean"

www.micaribe.net || community.micaribe.net || About Me!
No support via PM

phantomk

Post by phantomk » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:09 pm

micaribe wrote: Fair enough, but just remember that the U.S. government has longer arms than you may think ;)

No comment for fear of ... "gaged" @*$@$@#

FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:17 pm

I greatly fear this law. I mean, after all, the whole internet gives a damn about impossible laws made in New Jersey.

You know, I also hear there's a law in Kentucky that requires people to bathe once every 12 months. The law is really coming down hard on that one.
Caution, joking on a webforum can sometimes lead to this: Video footage
Please, think before posting about religion/bush/war/law enforcement. Please, save a keyboard.

songdove

Post by songdove » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:26 pm

Privacy groups won't allow that law to go through, or if it does, they'll challenge it in court. Privacy is required online to keep people safe. As far as the US having a long arm, they couldn't stop what Google and yahoo did in China and got upset over it. Perhaps the US arm isn't as long as people think it is.

Return to “General Discussion”