PCs with the aesthetic qualities of MAC?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
skorpiius

PCs with the aesthetic qualities of MAC?

Post by skorpiius » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:20 pm

MAC's have been in the news lately alot with the new software allowing XP to be installed on them. One thing you always hear about an advantage of MACs is their design, whether it's their notebooks, desktops, or even Ipods. Which got me thinking, surely there's a PC manufacturer (or 2) which creates the same sort of industrial design art that Apple does..creating eye catching PCs that aren't just a commodity... but is there? And by eye catching I don't necessarily mean tricked out gaming machines full of neon or fiber optic lighting, something that would look cool in your fully lit livingroom.
Any thoughts? Or does Apple really own the market on aesthetically pleasing computers?

xdarkday

Post by xdarkday » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:41 pm

I belive Dell just came out with this
New Dell Machine

Just kidding.... Before I read the whole post I was going to mention Alienware computers, but they are just hyped up gaming machines.

OTmaster
I've Been Banned!

Post by OTmaster » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:49 pm

Apples design team is focused mainly on making things as small as possible. In the imac, all the comptents are in the screen. The mac mini fits in the palm of your hand just about (6 in wide, 2 in tall, 2 6.5 long)

skorpiius

Post by skorpiius » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:18 pm

xdarkday wrote: I belive Dell just came out with this
New Dell Machine

Just kidding.... Before I read the whole post I was going to mention Alienware computers, but they are just hyped up gaming machines.

Actually those Alienware's aren't bad. They seem to be more than just lighting, they have some interesting case design.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:15 pm

Funny you should mention Dell and Alienware in the same post, Dell is buying them.

Dell to buy Alienware in gaming computer expansion
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:56 pm

The thing though is that mac users are generally stuck in the mindset that all computers are beige minitowers and horrible to look at. While this may have been the case (no pun intended) 3 years ago, it's simply not true. Take a look at Newegg.com for example, and how many different styles there are. I'd be wiling to say that PC cases are more stylish, purly because you can find one to suit what you like (I know I wouldn't want an "apple white" case).

That said, would you trust anyone who does buy a computer purely because it looks good? Surely that would just be a bonus, no?

OTmaster
I've Been Banned!

Post by OTmaster » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:37 am

good point Anon. I dont buy macs because they look nice to me, i buy macs because they're easy to use, user friendly and i get the most $$$ out of them at the office for i dont have to pay for spyware or antivrus or firewall crap.

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:40 am

OTmaster wrote: i dont have to pay for spyware or antivrus or firewall crap.

1) Some excellent antispyware, antivirus, and firewall programs are available free for Windows.
2) Just because you use a Mac doesn't mean you don't need those programs. Yes, (thank goodness for now) Macs aren't big targets, but remember that security through obscurity is no security at all. ;)
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

mw-dnb

Post by mw-dnb » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:05 am

any lian li case on the market looks 100x better than the trendware macs.

if you ask me i think mac stuff looks really weak. a mac mini would look like childs play next to my television/gaming systems/stereo equipment.

not to mention you would have to hide it any time friends and family came over. :twisted:
The brighest light burns out the quickest and you burn so very bright.
www.elementsofbass.com | For the breakbeat hardcore

OTmaster
I've Been Banned!

Post by OTmaster » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:43 pm

yes penta but very few are avilable for big business and it slows down the computers when they are scanning. Apple patches their security flaws which there have been quite a few since we converted to macs. they aren't 100% effictive but the way they are coded and such makes them much more secure.

MacForum

Post by MacForum » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:00 am

Mac cases are actually very strong, and like most computers, will only
break if you hit them with a Sledgehammer.

The software generally has a higher stability rate as well, including 99.9%
immunity from world viruses. The worst virus attack is the case where a
virus hits a Mac, only to be deflected to a Windows PC. True.

Generally PC Manufacturers will only care about the GHz number on the
front, and Microsoft only care about tacking on more to the NT Kernel.
Apple dont do that. They have a good balance of Elegance and
Performance in both the Computer and the OS.

Really, I wish I could provide more, but once you've spent some time
using and learning the Mac, you'll see it really is better than a PC, end of
story.
Like Apple and Mac? iPod Fan? Then MacForum is just what you need.
www.macforum.co.nr

XIII

Post by XIII » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:32 pm

MacForum wrote: Mac cases are actually very strong, and like most computers, will only

True, then again so do my Chieftec cases. The thing I do love about my PowerMac is how easy it is to open up and access everything inside with the motherboard being mounted on the inside of the sidepanel.
MacForum wrote: The worst virus attack is the case where a

Eh, say what? Magical deflection powers?
MacForum wrote: Generally PC Manufacturers will only care about the GHz number on the
Apple dont do that.

Ofcourse not, that's why they've been screaming 'Ghz myth' for years while they were on PowerPC only to discover that the switch to Intel makes everything now run 'up to 5 times as fast', which is equal bull.
MacForum wrote: Really, I wish I could provide more, but once you've spent some time
story.

Granted, I love my Mac. But let's stick to facts please instead of this fiction.

There's no such thing as magically deflecting a virus to a windows pc and OsX is just as vulnerable as any other operating system. The big adventage it DOES have is that it's more secure by default.
Which is sort of the root (no pun intended) of all these discussions, if you're a computer newbie and you want a secure machine you're better off getting a Mac. But if like some of us have spent years with for example Linux or even Windows they can be just as secure. The problem with the latter is that you have to actually know what you're doing.

As for the actual topic; there are plenty of manufacturers copying Apple's style. Just take a look at for example AOpen with their Mini ripoff.

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:52 am

MacForum wrote: Mac cases are actually very strong, and like most computers, will only

You've tested this? :P

But yes, there are ATX/BTX cases which are as strong - if not stonger - than Apple cases

As can be said about Linux, so not really a mac exclusive thing. Plus linux can ge installed on off-the-shelf hardware

Huh? the MHz myth ended long ago. Just look at how long AMD have been using product numbers (1800 etc) to express the product speed, instead of clock speeds. Besides, how is it Microsoft add on bloat, while Apple add on features?

ibmsystems

Post by ibmsystems » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:15 am

Really, I wish I could provide more, but once you've spent some time
story.

Acually its true mac cases are generally more stabele than the cheep hp case you pick up at WalMart or something and OSX is except for LeapA is (please dont shoot me for this apple ) imune to viruses! :P

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:31 am

It's the bigoted attitude of believing you are impervious that leads to your destruction. Of course fairy tales, and past historic events contains none of that :roll: .

Also, you are doing an unfair comparrison. You are comparing a single computer to a class of computers, and even then, you are looking at the cheap nasty end of the spectrum and ignoring anything that might make the beasts equal. Also, the power PC was never an apple exclusive processor, so it was never saying apple are better because of the power PC, it's just they weren't avaliable mainstream in personal computers.

Return to “General Discussion”