PCs with the aesthetic qualities of MAC?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
SAK `

Post by SAK ` » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:13 pm

Oh, don't forget two more direct PC and notebook resellers where they may be competitors for Alienware... IBuyPower and CyberPower PC. I been reading a few gaming magazines, so that's how I figured.

These two resellers also deals with gaming systems and the act of building ones that would be worth $100's.

The question is this though: How would these two machine resellers react to Mac OS X, especially the upcoming Leopard?

$.@.K.
xdarkday wrote: Just kidding.... Before I read the whole post I was going to mention Alienware computers, but they are just hyped up gaming machines.
The Serial AD Killa trademark is no more. 2003-2007

Yawner

Post by Yawner » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:54 pm

/me steers the back from the mac are generally better / mac vs pc arguement. This is about looks people, stop getting so deep!

Personally I feel Macs are better looking generally than most stock pc's. But what do you expect? Apple has control over all aspects of production, whereas most end-of-the-line retailers in PCs get a list of parts that together and then try to find a cases that matches. They just mix and match to get to the best, whereas Apple can design and such.. I feel this is the major factor between the divide.

I'll comment on the post made by Smithy, I have thought about the question you asked and by no means can I answer, but I have tried to change from being a zombie mutant that just follows the crowd endlessly to someone who forges their own opinions and strangely enough pc asthetics is something im very interested in.

I currently frequent a number of bespoke modding forums. I dont usually post, im a leecher as I have no real desire to hack apart my own box. However I will leave you with a few titbits to see if you really feel mac's are the pinnacle of computer design.

Yawnster

PS.. here, here and here. Enjoy..
Alan Kay : "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
Support the OpenDocument Format!

SAK `

Post by SAK ` » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:47 pm

I always believed that Apple is always one step ahead of Microsoft due to the development of operating systems and its most commonly used programs that stand behind it.

Of course, most Apple computers may have less vulnerablility to viruses, adware, and spyware than Windows, therefore, it still pays to use caution everytime you get on the Internet with any Mac OS X version. I read a few college books alledging the debate and the difference between OSX and Windows, so I guess that's how I learn.

$.@.K.

MacForum

Post by MacForum » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:46 am

Hmm... let us come to an agreement. Each computer has a place in the
world. Strong points. Each is up to the user to choose.

And I know that the Mods know who I am. Let me start by apologizing for
my insane actions earlier. Things have fallen in to place and generally
things are great, and I really enjoyed seeing phpBB.com again after a
long time gone.

Wont do it again, I promise. Really. You all do a great job.

iMac600
Like Apple and Mac? iPod Fan? Then MacForum is just what you need.
www.macforum.co.nr

MacForum

Post by MacForum » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:23 am

http://theocacao.com/images/content/000 ... erbook.jpg

Macs are strong. 8O

This isn't an image hack btw, actual pic of the damaged metal when it
was run over by a Hummer (as a test of course). Surprisingly, plug in an
external monitor and it still works.
www.macforum.co.nr

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:43 am

MacForum wrote: http://theocacao.com/images/content/000 ... erbook.jpg

Macs are strong. 8O

This isn't an image hack btw, actual pic of the damaged metal when it
was run over by a Hummer (as a test of course). Surprisingly, plug in an
external monitor and it still works.

Wow, that's an impressive pic 8O

Although I'm wondering how well a Powerbook would compare with say... a Toughbook ;)

MacForum

Post by MacForum » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:04 pm

Panasonic... depends on the case materials. Seems like Plastic just
doesn't cut it anymore, eh.
www.macforum.co.nr

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:26 pm

If you read the page, you would then know it's made out of a magnesium alloy.

FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:34 pm

OTmaster wrote: Sure Mac Os X is better than XP but it has its flaws

1. Keychain does not work for me
2. Sometimes all my desktops items disappear and i have to click on them for them to reappear
3. all the browser crash, even firefox
4. its missing a taskbar, i think that would be great for os x to have
5. the dock can not be set to be always on top
6. mail messes up on me too and i must re-enter all new info
7. A software update I did in December made me lose all my old pics from iphoto
8. what am i suppose to do when the monitor burns out on my imac?
Sounds to me, just those flaws alone is enough to make using X a pain, though reading through your posts in this topic, I question how well you can run a computer (considering you think anti-virus software is needed). ;)

WinXP is really dealt more hatred than it deserves. Out of all the windows releases I have experience with (Windows for Workgroups, 95, 98, ME, XP) it is the most stable. With proper updating, and a few tricks, you can keep XP running full speed without problems for ages.

Heck, I don't even run a virus scanner.
Caution, joking on a webforum can sometimes lead to this: Video footage
Please, think before posting about religion/bush/war/law enforcement. Please, save a keyboard.

SAK `

Post by SAK ` » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:33 pm

I guess OSX does re-define the taskbar with a dock on the bottom. So that can be confusing as long as the user has no knowlege and simply can't tell the difference.

$.@.K.

MacForum

Post by MacForum » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:43 am

OTmaster, what version of OS X are you using? Those problems are quite unusual.

I've never seen them before, and quite a few from Apple havent either.
www.macforum.co.nr

OTmaster
I've Been Banned!

Post by OTmaster » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:02 pm

I'm using Mac Os X 10.4.6

really a pain... boy i sure now how to mess up computers.

MacForum

Post by MacForum » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:04 am

Seems like a stuffed up install. I would contact Apple via email, as those
problems didn't happen in 10.3.
www.macforum.co.nr

mw-dnb

Post by mw-dnb » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:57 am

MacForum wrote: Mac cases are actually very strong, and like most computers, will only
break if you hit them with a Sledgehammer.

The software generally has a higher stability rate as well, including 99.9%
immunity from world viruses. The worst virus attack is the case where a
virus hits a Mac, only to be deflected to a Windows PC. True.

Generally PC Manufacturers will only care about the GHz number on the
front, and Microsoft only care about tacking on more to the NT Kernel.
Apple dont do that. They have a good balance of Elegance and
Performance in both the Computer and the OS.

Really, I wish I could provide more, but once you've spent some time
using and learning the Mac, you'll see it really is better than a PC, end of
story.

lol your statement speaks pages worth about why you own a mac.

The worst virus attack is the case where a
virus hits a Mac, only to be deflected to a Windows PC. True.

DEFLECTOR SHIELDS UP CAPTAIN! MOVE US TO RED ALERT SULU MAC USERS ARE DEFLECTING VIRUSS ONTO OUR PC'S!

O'RLY? YAH RLY!!!

I run the following:
Duel G5 Audio Workstation (Studio)
Duel G5 Xserve (Coporate Server)
Core-Duo (Work Laptop)
Pentium 4 3.2GhzE SLI Setup (Home Studio)
Pentium 4 2.5Ghz Laptop (HP Pavilion)

Let me say that #1, Mac is not superior its always the 'Right tool for the right job". mac's shell software is dated worse than XP/*Nix. You can't get away from the horrible 'white' layout of the entire interface. It has loads of pointless animations that will lock or cause crashes in high end software. (Cubase, Pro Tools, Audiodesk). So essentially you have to stop the audio software make changes save it then play again.

Then we can start talking about how my old mac software now performs on my core-duo. Lets just say if it wasn't written for the intel platform the software now runs like total ****. We are all waiting copies of ALL the audio, web editing, video editing, and graphics/illustration software to be rewritten for intel native instead of powerpc.

I would list the shortcomings of windows xp, but the only one I can really think of is the way it has its machine management setup and the lack of lower end configing like you would find in *nix, openview, solaris, mac os x. Other things would include dropping the entire interface and allowing the O/S to run more from the command prompt. Running a GUI on a server is pointless (even though my XSere can't seperate from the interface either).

If you have stability problems with XP you either have really really bad gear or you must be a very novice user. The only real threat you have is spyware/malware which is easyily bypassed with the right software/settings/security and an occasional scan. Any idiot can run any operating system and keep it clean. It's always the people that go about everything blind and without software updates that really have problems.

Anyways, the entire mac universe sells on hype, flashy images, and pop lifestyle. Apple has done the best job of any company to make it 'cool' to own their products and feel like you're in some sort of 'exclusive' club. The truth is Apple is just as much of a blood thristy money making corporation as the rest of them, maybe even worse (OSX, itunes store, ipod etc.). They just put on better sheeps clothing than the rest of them. I guess you could say at least the other companies are upfront, MS wants your money and GNU just wants your love.

Finally if you buy equipment based on how well it can be run over by a hummer than you are a total tool. If your laptop was run over by a car you deserve it being destroyed for not carrying it in a bag and taking better care of your possessions. The only excuse one could come up with for getting their laptop ran over by a hummer is if you were drunk in baghdad running from the US army - with a laptop tucked under your arm. Otherwise its pointless advertising hype and most likely fake.
The brighest light burns out the quickest and you burn so very bright.
www.elementsofbass.com | For the breakbeat hardcore

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:57 am

xdarkday wrote: I belive Dell just came out with this
New Dell Machine

Just kidding.... Before I read the whole post I was going to mention Alienware computers, but they are just hyped up gaming machines.

I boguht an alienware, and replaced the shell with a nice normal one :lol:

I have no intrest in games part from fact i make them for EA, which is bit strange really as i hate the things... alienware just make very powerful, computers.

There outsdies may look "good" (not to me) but the case i had (that i replaced) cracked when i kicked it, not even hard... lol
drathbun wrote: Funny you should mention Dell and Alienware in the same post, Dell is buying them.

Dell to buy Alienware in gaming computer expansion

powerful computers about to go down the drain....

having said that, what are dell like nowadays for desktops? I always used to have problems with them, having said that, i have two dell servers which are very good..
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Again very sorry for not supporting these MODs recently.

Return to “General Discussion”