Apple Multi Touch Screen

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
xdarkday

Apple Multi Touch Screen

Post by xdarkday »

A movie about the technologie which Apple has reacently pattented. It is not a movie made by Apple but by some researchers

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... en&pl=true

What do you guys think could make good use of such a thing? Right now it just looks like it would make things faster from using a mouse. I would love to play around with it.
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

That would be pretty cool for UMPCs and Table PCs. However, often nothing beats the ergonomics provided by a real button.
Systems Engineering
Yawner

Post by Yawner »

Personally although I have thought about buying a Mac, it has never been on the top of my list.. But if this comes into force.. That things gotta be mine..

Yawnster

PS.. Is there an explaination anywhere as to exactly how this is done or not yet as the patent is still pending?
Alan Kay : "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
Support the OpenDocument Format!
starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

Flash video! Grrr....I hate how they do that! Why? They dont want people copying the video or covnerting the format? Frustrating...:evil:

Anyways, the use of the screen could be very benifitial and Im sure would help in allot of applications. Although, it would of been nice for them to open the patent to the general public so everyone could get use out of it. I thought the Tablet PC, or really any touch screen could do that though?

oh, and am I the only one who remembers Minority Report? :P
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!
txuspe

Post by txuspe »

starfoxtj wrote: Flash video! Grrr....I hate how they do that! Why? They dont want people copying the video or covnerting the format? Frustrating...:evil:

Well, I think nowadays it's the most practical video format on the web: you just need Flash Player (installed in most computers, any browser, any OS). :wink:
Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

I refuse to wash my hands or wear gloves every time I want to use my PC.
starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

txuspe wrote:
starfoxtj wrote:Flash video! Grrr....I hate how they do that! Why? They dont want people copying the video or covnerting the format? Frustrating...:evil:

Well, I think nowadays it's the most practical video format on the web: you just need Flash Player (installed in most computers, any browser, any OS). :wink:

Yea, but your forced to watch it on their site unless you install their stupid propriatary exe installer. You cant put it on a hand held, you cant embed it in a ppt file, you cant convert it to a mov format or burn it to a dvd. And the quality sucks compared to the high-res original (if it was highres originally that is).

Its like all that stupid drm protection that only lets you watch it on a certain computer or do certain things with it. Everyone keeps allowing this ridiculs formats and think its no big deal, but each and every day our freedoms are being stipped and we can do less and less with media. I could see if google MADE it, or they own the rights to it. But both google and other similar sites like utube just host stuff that is sent to them and lock people into their world.
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!
Nephrus
Former Team Member

Post by Nephrus »

If we can keep to the topic at hand here, that'd be great.

Thanks!
[ Zelda Planet - nephrus.net - phpBB Userguide - phpBB Knowledge Base - phpBB.com Forum Rules ]
ABSOLUTELY NO support via PM/IM/email or I'll get a cow to sit on you
MacForum

Post by MacForum »

I'll try and drag things back in here Nephrus.

Anyway, this technology would be likely to appear in the Apple Cinema
Displays or perhaps confirm the rumors of an Apple Flat Screen TV.

And has anyone ever thought "Touch Screen Keyboard" which is basically
a keyboard with no use for buttons, merely touch pads.

Generally in the tech industry Apple are one step ahead. The innovators.
Thats why if you end up with a Mac you're in on the ground floor, first to
get all the new stuff.
Like Apple and Mac? iPod Fan? Then MacForum is just what you need.
www.macforum.co.nr
maddog720

Post by maddog720 »

Cool :D !
Erisar
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Sarmany

Post by Erisar »

I think it's quite cool indeed. If you think about it, technology like this seems to be the next logical step; perhaps not straight away for personal computing, but for areas like in movie editing, or music production, or environmental/civil engineering, the uses could be amazing.
My Twitter · Erisar Design [Web Development and Graphic Design]
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

Although this is pretty old news, first heard of it last November or December, it's still a pretty cool thing. I'd definately want one.

But hey, even the currently available dual touch mouse pad for mac laptops isn't too shaby.
MacForum

Post by MacForum »

Dual Touch is useful. Makes things easier to do when it comes to just
about anything. ;)
Like Apple and Mac? iPod Fan? Then MacForum is just what you need.
www.macforum.co.nr
Thatbitextra
Former Team Member
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Thatbitextra »

Damn, that's cool!
It reminds me of Zion Control in the Matrix.
I'm not sure how accurate it would be for stuff like Photoshop and games, but for messing about, it's amazing.
I was also impressed that the demos they were using already showed creativity in their use of the hardware at such an early stage.
Styles KB
My MODs: Choose Who to Accept PMs From (Prevents unwanted PMs!) | Warn of Old Topic Before Posting Reply
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)

Return to “General Discussion”