Against a rule to read Private Messages?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Gracie's Mom

Against a rule to read Private Messages?

Post by Gracie's Mom » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:45 pm

I just left the admin position of a phpbb based forum.....and I found out today that another admin entered my account and read all of the Private Messages that may have been in my inbox/outbox/sent. Is this allowed? There was NEVER anything in our site rules that stated that he could/would do that. I'm still confused at how he accessed my private account.

ANY and ALL information on this topic would be appreciated.

Thank you

Drunky

Post by Drunky » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:36 pm

The only way they could have accessed it if they installed the MOD that lets admins read them. There is nothing illegal about it but I think its wrong to read other people's PM's.

micaribe

Post by micaribe » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:49 pm

Drunky wrote: The only way they could have accessed it if they installed the MOD that lets admins read them.

Actually, you can use phpMyAdmin to read PM's as well.
- Matt

Did you know... "mi caribe" is Spanish for "my Caribbean"

www.micaribe.net || community.micaribe.net || About Me!
No support via PM

FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:01 pm

I had the mod installed at one time, and made sure to put a bit in my TOS that covered it. I was having a bit of a problem out of a few users that required me to view PMs. It can easily be done using phpmyadmin also.

While I don't particularly like to spy on my user's PMs, I can't see anything wrong with it if you make sure the users know the administration has the capability of viewing PMs.
Caution, joking on a webforum can sometimes lead to this: Video footage
Please, think before posting about religion/bush/war/law enforcement. Please, save a keyboard.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:01 pm

The bottom line is that nothing you ever do on the Internet is truly private. Consider that each and every time you write something. 8)

Should this other admin have done what they did? Probably not. Can they? Absolutely, if they have the technical skill there are any number of ways and means to accomplish this. Are they required to notify you of this? No, not really.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

telerman

Post by telerman » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:33 am

The question here is:

Does this webmaster do that for PRIVATE and PERSONAL reasons or was some (maybe unfair) other reason like someone accusing you to sent offensive PM?

If he do that as a atempt to 'moderate' somethings... was wrong but not THAT wrong... if he does for personal reasons... that webmaster is not ethical at all.

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:02 pm

if you had a good lawyer, you could sue him for breach of privacy.

By Private Messages your saying there private and will not be accessed by you, if you then go on to read them, you are in breach of privacy and contract - which are both offenses punishable by law in most countries.

You could argue against the contract bit, as it says nothing in the Registration agreement, but you would definatly be in breach of privacy - a good lawyer would argue in breach of contract aswell.
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Again very sorry for not supporting these MODs recently.

~AJK~

Post by ~AJK~ » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:21 am

christhatsme wrote: if you had a good lawyer, you could sue him for breach of privacy.

By Private Messages your saying there private and will not be accessed by you, if you then go on to read them, you are in breach of privacy and contract - which are both offenses punishable by law in most countries.

You could argue against the contract bit, as it says nothing in the Registration agreement, but you would definatly be in breach of privacy - a good lawyer would argue in breach of contract aswell.
Another "Admin" read them? It could be deemed that admin's are allowed to do that. In the U.S. I am allowed to read my employees e-mail as the admin (we do notify them that this can be done though). You would need to show damages in the U.S. to recover any award. Look at this as a lesson learned. I always go by the credo, "If you type it, assume it will be made public."
If the solutions posted above worked can you add [SOLVED] to beginning the subject of your first post to help others? Click on the "EDIT" button next to your FIRST post in the thread.
Click the following: Help for Newbies | Support Request Template
No PM's Please

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:42 am

A sure way to make sure your private message are unreadable:

STEP 1
Find some scissors, you can probably find them still in the leg of the last person you caught reading your private messages. IF no scissors can be found, a large object will work just as well.

STEP 2
If you were unable to locate scissors skip to STEP 3. Locate your coxial cable, phone line or what ever form of connection you use to access the internet. Skip to STEP 4.

STEP 3
Locate your modem box, satalite dish, or some other piece of hardware that you use to access the internet. Skip to STEP 5.

STEP 4
Proceed to cut the your cable or phone line in several places, be sure to cut it so that it will be impossible to fit it back together. Skip to STEP 6.

STEP 5
Proceed to demolish your respective equipment.

STEP 6
Thier is no STEP 7 if you were successfull in your task.

STEP 7
Visit This Topic and post your results.

Gracie's Mom

Post by Gracie's Mom » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:24 pm

Well....
After I thought about this....I noticed that he left my name and account on the board..he deactived my password. I emailed him and told him to remove my account because at this point he was misleading the members by allowing my name there...they thought they were sending ME private messages, when infact it was him that was reading them...he responded by saying...

I entered your account via the admin panel and changed your password inorder to access your private messages. He claims that there were unread messages from people on the board for topic requests...yet he admits to reading messages that were already opened and sent to and from me.

he SINCE has put on his board a new policy stating that he is capable to access the PM's..but he claims that he has no intent to..

too little too late for me I guess.

Just be forewarned....that it's not hard to do...and this idiot actually admitted to and how he did it.

FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:38 pm

Sooo, in other words, you joined a forum being run by a 13yr old and actually expected to receive the respect you deserve...

Welcome to the intarweb. :) The easiest way to avoid this problem is to investigate before registering. ;)
Caution, joking on a webforum can sometimes lead to this: Video footage
Please, think before posting about religion/bush/war/law enforcement. Please, save a keyboard.

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:57 am

phantomk wrote: A sure way to make sure your private message are unreadable:

STEP 1
Find some scissors, you can probably find them still in the leg of the last person you caught reading your private messages. IF no scissors can be found, a large object will work just as well.

STEP 2
If you were unable to locate scissors skip to STEP 3. Locate your coxial cable, phone line or what ever form of connection you use to access the internet. Skip to STEP 4.

STEP 3
Locate your modem box, satalite dish, or some other piece of hardware that you use to access the internet. Skip to STEP 5.

STEP 4
Proceed to cut the your cable or phone line in several places, be sure to cut it so that it will be impossible to fit it back together. Skip to STEP 6.

STEP 5
Proceed to demolish your respective equipment.

STEP 6
Thier is no STEP 7 if you were successfull in your task.

STEP 7
Visit This Topic and post your results.

Sure, that's also an awesome way to prevent hackers, viruses, spam, and worms!!! :D :D :D

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:23 am

Newfie wrote: Sure, that's also an awesome way to prevent hackers, viruses, spam, and worms!!! :D :D :D

Unless your dog has worms, then thiers not much we can do :P

Gracie's Mom

Post by Gracie's Mom » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:45 pm

FF8Jake` wrote: Sooo, in other words, you joined a forum being run by a 13yr old and actually expected to receive the respect you deserve...

Welcome to the intarweb. :) The easiest way to avoid this problem is to investigate before registering. ;)

No actually the man is in his 30's....one of those trust issues...never expected my privacy to be violated. I have learned my lesson though.

depablo

Post by depablo » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:38 pm

Gracie's Mom wrote: never expected my privacy to be violated. I have learned my lesson though.

So you will be starting your own forum and make it a better place for members? Paid hosting is dirt cheap as is domain names.

Return to “General Discussion”