Why do developers give up their free time?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
mtaber

Why do developers give up their free time?

Post by mtaber » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:43 pm

OK, thanks to phpbb, I am now totally hooked on the use of Open Source software. Using the forum software successfully for my reef aquarium forum xxxxx has shown me that excellent software is available free of charge. I have now ditched every Microsoft software I had and have moved over to Linux and you know what, I can still do the same things as I did before but for free.
However, I still cannot get my head around why so many people give up their spare time to develop Open Source software. If any programmers are out there, can I ask you to tell me why you do this and by the way thank god you guys do as without it, I could not afford to run my site so THANK YOU.

Is it -

1). The love of programming.
2). The love of being involved in something so successful.
3). To illistrate to future employers your skill.
4). You use the software yourself so it allows you to have it how you want it.
5). A nerd thing (no insult intended!).
6). All of the above.
7). Something else (please state).

link removed by primedomain

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:09 pm

I made some freeware games a few years ago.

The reason I did it was just to see if I could do it with my limited knowledge of QuickBASIC. When I was a kid, I was awestruck at people who were smart enough to create software. Then, when I grew up, I saw my chance and made some games after learning a tiny amount of QB.

I didn't want money for them, because I like it when copyright law doesn't grab you by the scruff of the neck, and lets you give away some software for free. :D

Perhaps the phpBB Group felt a similar feeling like I did. :D

Double_J
Former Team Member

Post by Double_J » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:54 pm

I made my styles just because I liked making those.
And it is always nice to see the "thank you" messages on your own board.

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:35 pm

same reason all of us did - for love of the software and the people involved in the project.

a lesser benefit would be resumé padding for the developers.
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.

starfoxtj

Re: Why do developers give up their free time?

Post by starfoxtj » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:22 am

Reasons wrote: 1). The love of programming.
2). The love of being involved in something so successful.
4). You use the software yourself so it allows you to have it how you want it.
5). A nerd thing (no insult intended!) to see if I can do it, and how, its a learning experiance for me.

And also:
To produce something to help users for free. A way of giving back.

My reasons.
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:38 am

its a combination of all sorts of things

1) some peoples hobby
2) some peoples job (therefore they want to get better)
3) it helps you get better
4) Its a good feeling that loads of people like your software (obviously this can go the other way :lol:
5) have to via certain licenses
6) been successful beause it is free

few more can't think of
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Again very sorry for not supporting these MODs recently.

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:19 pm

I have it on good authority that they do it for the money, the women, the power, the fame, and the drugs. But mostly for the drugs.
super fun rainbow colour sig

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:00 pm

the money when its free? Are you sure you don't need a doctor? :?
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Again very sorry for not supporting these MODs recently.

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:08 pm

Okay, you're right. They do it for the bears and the hookers and the bear hookers. 8)
super fun rainbow colour sig

starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:35 pm

Pit wrote: I have it on good authority that they do it for...the women...

Oh I wish... :roll:
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!

ZoliveR
Former Team Member

Post by ZoliveR » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:22 pm

It's before all a passion. Do not do anything if you don't like it. Nothing is better to do something freely that you like it in place of doing something where you're not happy with it, even if it bring to you 3000€ per month
No more Team Chocolate Member. I decided to leave, it's my choice. Thanks to all for all these years.
I'm always near if you need news of me. But no more support is given (private notification disabled)

Anglophobe

Post by Anglophobe » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:23 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't a lot of open source apps end up making at least some money? I mean, look at all the Linux distros out there! They make money (I think) by:
Making "Professional" versions, which include proprietary software like nVidia drivers and such.
Selling support.
Offering packaged versions of products (hey, some people like boxes).
Donations (although I doubt this does a whole lot).

Also, I suppose that by developing open source apps in their area of expertise, developers are encouraging the development of other apps as well, extending the community.

Bottom line: I love open source software, and am highly indebted to all you developers out there!

ZoliveR
Former Team Member

Post by ZoliveR » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:37 pm

Correct me if i'm wrong but Open Source doesn't signify free software but signify the free access to the written code...

And devs have the right to open the donation part, or to sell his product, or some other matters (teeshirt, cdrom...), even if he can't live entirely of his dev's part, he have the right to make it like a little extra....
No more Team Chocolate Member. I decided to leave, it's my choice. Thanks to all for all these years.
I'm always near if you need news of me. But no more support is given (private notification disabled)

-jm-
Former Team Member

Post by -jm- » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:15 pm

I find a bit hard selling a GPL'd sw ...
What I've seen around is selling support and then all that things you mention in above posts.
-jm- (a.k.a. juanm) - *NO* private support
Hacked?
With so many beautiful colors in the world it’s a shame to make everything black and white - Dennis R. Little
my links: tips&stuff :: stuff only

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:05 am

Pit wrote: I have it on good authority that they do it for the money, the women, the power, the fame, and the drugs. But mostly for the drugs.

1. Advertising, SHS's bears, the CafePress store
2. Outofmymindyo, other female members of this forum
3. Being an admin or a mod, creation/enforcement of rules
4. phpBB is very well known, possibly about 100 forums or more worldwide!
5. Forums are a magnet for pharmaceutical spam.

:D

Return to “General Discussion”