Why do developers give up their free time?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

I thought this was the only phpBB. :o
super fun rainbow colour sig
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Newfie wrote:8O 8O 8O 8O

117,000,000 results for "powered by phpBB" in quotes!!!????

For my original guess of 175, that would be about 668,571 results per forum.

I searched one domain that has 2 forums, total 10,400 results, that gives an average of about 5000 results per small forum

642,000 results for phpBB.com (here).

23,400 small forums or 175 giant forums

So a more reasonable guess would be about 10,000 forums. Whoa mama!

what in the world is all this?

how did you decide all these numbers, based on your guess of 175?

sorry, but that is not a very good way to do it.

you are starting with a very very wrong guess so that is going to throw all your other guesses just as far off.

according to the downloads for just the latest version update files, there are at least 750,000 boards out there.

that does not count all the older versions that havent' updated yet.

I think you need to think a lot bigger than you are. :lol:

Oh my. 750,000 forums. Maybe even 2,000,000 forums like StarFoxTJ said. :oops: :o 8O It seems to me like everyone and their grandma and grandpa, along with their dogs and cats and hamsters each have their own forum. But I do understand that many websites use a forum as a back-end of their website, but I didn't think it would be such a big thing, given that in order to make a forum worth it, it usually needs a fair crowd. Wheeehew.

Where I come from, a river is only about 10 meters wide, a mountain is only about 70 meters high, a BIG CITY only has about 90,000 people, and a small town can have as few as 500 people. Our "skyscrapers" are only about 100 meters high. The Quidi Vidi Lake is about 1% of the size of one of the Great Lakes like Lake Michigan. Our rush hour traffic is about 50 cars per minute. A sold-out mega concert in our stadium only has about 6000 people in the audience.
thecharmed01
Former Team Member

Post by thecharmed01 »

Well I dont know about other people.......but I have at last count 11 domain names. I sat down this morning to work it out.

All my domain names are running sites which/are have phpBB forums.

One domain name I use as my test domain, is actually running 6 phpbb forums on it alone.......
Another is running two instances of forums.......

I also manage 3 external websites of my own - all running forums.

Thats 20 forums all up............

Hot damn, if there were 175 in the world I must be well on my way tp world phpBB domination hehe.

:twisted:
Please refrain from PM'ing me for support unless I specifically ask you to.......

Helpful Pages: ~ [Styles FAQ] ~ [Styles User Guide] ~ [Styles Submission Policy]
My Site: [C1 Web Design]
| Mum | Web Designer | Airsoft Player| Business Owner|
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Thanks for your input. :)

It would seem that some enterprising webmasters treat forums as an indispensable part of any website (like other common things like graphics, Flash animations, frames, menus, downloads, etc.), that high number makes more sense now.

In my whole life I saw about 40 phpBB forums, about 25 vBulletin forums, about 30 Invision forums, and about 10 other kinds of forums. So I extrapolated, and came up with about 175 phpBB forums. The grand majority of websites I visit have no forum at all, let alone a phpBB one.

But with webmasters like TheCharmed01 sprouting up everywhere, that estimate would have been somewhere around 250,000 phpBB forums.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Newfie wrote: Thanks for your input. :)

It would seem that some enterprising webmasters treat forums as an indispensable part of any website (like other common things like graphics, Flash animations, frames, menus, downloads, etc.), that high number makes more sense now.

In my whole life I saw about 40 phpBB forums, about 25 vBulletin forums, about 30 Invision forums, and about 10 other kinds of forums. So I extrapolated, and came up with about 175 phpBB forums. The grand majority of websites I visit have no forum at all, let alone a phpBB one.

But with webmasters like TheCharmed01 sprouting up everywhere, that estimate would have been somewhere around 250,000 phpBB forums.

guess what, you are on the internet, it doesn't make any difference how many cars or people or skyscrapers you have where you live.

this is the world wide web here.

back in the dinosaur days of the early 90s when the web first started and I first got online.
I spent days without sleep just surfing the web, I couldn't believe how much information and how many different web sites there were.

Either, you don't spend more that a few minutes a week online or your interests are very limited to only have seen maybe 40 bulletin boards in your life.

have you ever tried searching for anything using google?

try searching for something, anything, then scroll through the returns, chances are that many, many of the returns will point to sites that have bulletin boards on them.

You might be surprised to find that there are thousands of websites out there about anything in the world that you could dream up to search for.

hey, open up, broaden your horizons, there are a lot of wonderful, interesting things out in the world.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: guess what, you are on the internet, it doesn't make any difference how many cars or people or skyscrapers you have where you live.

I was only explaining why I thought in small terms. If I lived in Toronto or New York City I may have never estimated so low.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Either, you don't spend more that a few minutes a week online or your interests are very limited to only have seen maybe 40 bulletin boards in your life.

It's the second reason.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: have you ever tried searching for anything using google?

try searching for something, anything, then scroll through the returns, chances are that many, many of the returns will point to sites that have bulletin boards on them.

You might be surprised to find that there are thousands of websites out there about anything in the world that you could dream up to search for.

hey, open up, broaden your horizons, there are a lot of wonderful, interesting things out in the world.

luck,
robert

Well enough, while I do use Google for several things, it is mainly for routine stuff, and occassionally I may get an idea.

I realize that the Internet is a behemoth in its own right, just wasn't sure to what extent. :)
alink1000

Post by alink1000 »

Because they love us so much. :oops:
oldcqr

Post by oldcqr »

I do it for the chicks. :lol:

Ok.. Maybe not... :P

It's the same reason I put out tens of thousands of x-mas lights each year, all synchronized to music. Because each of us should use our talents to make the world a better place or bring joy to others - no matter the size of the contribution.
alemcherry

Post by alemcherry »

Newfie wrote: 4. phpBB is very well known, possibly about 100 forums or more worldwide!

100 forums world wide? I thought it would be more than 10,000, atleast! Or even more...
rick`

Post by rick` »

I was running 4 phpBB forums on my domain about 6 months ago.
It's been cut back to my main community forum now though since there is no longer any open development going (actually, there is but it's small enough to just have it's own category on the existing forum).

But to answer the OP's question...

6). All of the above.

Essentially, it was the only thing I have only really been good at.
At least online :-? So it made sense that I'd knock up things for myself and friends. And if it was a good idea, try and build on it - make it bigger.
Helped me get better and it wasn't boring :P Shame I have given up on most of them, but with one developer, sometimes tasks can be a bit.. "oh noes!" after a while.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

1. It's fun, and I enjoy it.
    2. It's my way of contributing back to the community for using open source projects.
    3. It's a great way to work on my programming skills.
    4. It's fun, and I enjoy it.
    5. The love of programming.
    6. I like to tinker with things, get into the code and make modifications to existing programs.
    7. It's fun and I enjoy it.
    8. It's a nerd thing... you wouldn't understand ;)
Yep, so that pretty much sums it up...

oh, did I mention it's fun and I enjoy it?
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
Muas

Post by Muas »

To burn fat. When working on a complicated problem, the brain burns up a large amount of blood sugar.
xu_anping

respect

Post by xu_anping »

respect :oops: :oops:
Andyba

Post by Andyba »

There is also this thing.
When you are doing something for free you are not obligated to do it, so it's kind of free will.. you are doing it just for fun.
And when you are doing something for money.. there is the feeling that you have to do it, and it takes a part of the pleasure from the process.. at least for some people.
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

Pit wrote: But mostly for the drugs.

Well that explains why naderman was so totally out of it at NarcLAN... Damn coke fiend.

Return to “General Discussion”