Why do folk not upgrade?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
mdvaldosta

Post by mdvaldosta » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:18 pm

Some people haven't upgraded from 19 to 20 because of the bugs in the update file for modded boards... people wait and don't do it right away because there are quite often problems. Has the latest quote etc. issues even been "officially" resolved? I still see people complaining about it.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:22 pm

mdvaldosta wrote: Some people haven't upgraded from 19 to 20 because of the bugs in the update file for modded boards... people wait and don't do it right away because there are quite often problems. Has the latest quote etc. issues even been "officially" resolved? I still see people complaining about it.

Every update will have bugs of some sort. Some worse then others. However having a broken quote is surely alot better then having an insecure board. Bugs get fixed, recovering from hack due to not upgrading may be unfixable.

Nenad

Post by Nenad » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:37 pm

I usually upgrade as soon as an email announcement is sent, but this time around I haven't (19->20) because of a lack of time coupled with the very embarrassing bugs that have only been fixed "semi-officially" under pressure from user complaints.

Producing an update with the very serious, i.e. breaking a standard feature which everyone uses then proposing an almost as preposterous work around (turn off another feature), errors that were in this update is simply unacceptable.

Then not issuing an immediate follow-up update which would bring .20 back to proper operation (and call it .21 to make sure that everyone applies the fixes before an eventual .22) makes it even more scandalous. The developers seem to have buried their heads in the sand.

I very much appreciate the work that has gone into all of this, it is a great piece of software, but a project which is so (deservedly up till now) popular with so many users affected, to be allowed to slip like this without proper correction is a shame.

Govnor

Post by Govnor » Mon May 01, 2006 10:40 pm

I got busy installing lots of mods on my board at first until I installed CH mod.
On learning that I would have to re-install them after an upgrade, I now just keep only my own simple modifications (images & css).

It was a great learning excersise tho..

I always update as soon as its available because a fresh install is really quick & easy to do, plus my sisters board got hacked recently.

tomkzinti

Post by tomkzinti » Sat May 06, 2006 6:04 pm

What notification in the Admin CP? I've never ever gotten anything like that.

Most software companies simply don't release updates that often and a lot of people just don't remember to check. That and if you're NOT AN IT PRO, it's a PITA to update/upgrade these things. Personally, I run a BB because it pleases me to do so and I have fun with it. I don't run one because I have a background in IT or computer-related subjects to discuss.

Thanks for all the posts like "people are too stupid or lazy". That really helps, doesn't it? F*ckers.

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Sat May 06, 2006 7:24 pm

From what I can see here thus far, the biggest problem with upgrading is MODs.

With that, the most secure and reliable phpBB would be a barebones phpBB.

rick`

Post by rick` » Sun May 07, 2006 6:44 am

Newfie wrote: From what I can see here thus far, the biggest problem with upgrading is MODs.

With that, the most secure and reliable phpBB would be a barebones phpBB.
I've forgotten what mods I have installed.
But even when I was running a stock install of phpbb, i just couldn't be bothered upgrading :-?

I knew I should, but I just can't be bothered taking the 5 minutes or so to do it...
kinda sad really. At least I'm only 1 version behind now, instead of the 8 or so I was last year sometime :oops:

LordExcess

Post by LordExcess » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:55 pm

Is there a step by step process listed here anywhere for those of us who aint rocket scientists but still want to learn? I've had my PhPBB board for 6 months or so now, and I try to come to this board to learn things but everyone is talking so high over my head I can't make heads nor tails out of it!
How do you upgrade? How do you put mods on your board? any ideas? Simple stuff that yall take for granted there are folks out here who want to learn. You don't come out of the womb knowing this stuff, yall had to learn too! I just want a chance to learn it myself. Anybody wanna help out a real idiot? or lazy person, as yall say? I'd really appreciate it!
LE

cussuol

Post by cussuol » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:06 pm

I have a heavily moded forum at http://www.brazilfw.com.br

It's running phpbb 2.0.17 and i'm very afraid to upgrade and mess everything.

beatme101

Post by beatme101 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:33 pm

ZoliveR wrote: - A lot of mods inside, so remod their board after each update is a pain for them
Govnor wrote: I got busy installing lots of mods on my board at first until I installed CH mod.
On learning that I would have to re-install them after an upgrade, I now just keep only my own simple modifications (images & css).

You do not have to redo all of your mods after each update. Use the code changes package on the downloads page, if you are more than one version behind then update one version at a time via the mods on this page.

niksa

Post by niksa » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:33 pm

LordExcess wrote: Is there a step by step process listed here anywhere for those of us who aint rocket scientists but still want to learn? I've had my PhPBB board for 6 months or so now, and I try to come to this board to learn things but everyone is talking so high over my head I can't make heads nor tails out of it!
How do you upgrade? How do you put mods on your board? any ideas? Simple stuff that yall take for granted there are folks out here who want to learn. You don't come out of the womb knowing this stuff, yall had to learn too! I just want a chance to learn it myself. Anybody wanna help out a real idiot? or lazy person, as yall say? I'd really appreciate it!
LE

Granted, it is really hard to jump into phpBB at first. MODs, Upgrades, EasyMOD, Themes, Skins, Templates, SQL, phpMyAdmin, tpl, huh? Well, the best way to figure it out is to read as much as you can. Even if you don't get it... some of it WILL get through. And eventually you'll be able to do some stuff, and more stuff... and voila! 8) But it does take time.

I would say the best place to start reading is the Support Section of phpBB.com, in particular the Knowledge Base (KB). Specifically for upgrading phpBB check out this article from the KB. And if all else fails, ask in the Support Forum and they are very awesomely helpful folks.

Ok but back to the OP's question - I think a lot of people inherit forums when the old admins vanish or leave projects too, leaving the new admins unsure of even what KIND of forum they're running, let alone what kinds of upkeep needs to be done. And then if they do seek out phpbb.com it's probably because they found an error or they have a problem they can't fix... upgrading is often an afterthought, unfortunately. Like someone else in the thread said, "if it ain't broke..." :?

PokerTony

Post by PokerTony » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:06 pm

I currently have my board modded and working just the way I want. Why would I update and mess it all up? I make a complete backup of my forum every two days. So if I get hacked I can just reload everything.

beatme101

Post by beatme101 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:59 pm

PokerTony wrote: I currently have my board modded and working just the way I want. Why would I update and mess it all up? I make a complete backup of my forum every two days. So if I get hacked I can just reload everything.

beatme101 wrote: You do not have to redo all of your mods after each update. Use the code changes package on the downloads page, if you are more than one version behind then update one version at a time via the mods on this page.

You're supposed to read the other posts in a thread before replying to it.

seek2501

Post by seek2501 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:54 pm

I'm currently running the latest version of phpbb2, but for a long time (about a year) I didn't bother updating, and didn't once have any problems because of it.

PokerTony

Post by PokerTony » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:50 pm

beatme101 wrote: You're supposed to read the other posts in a thread before replying to it.

I did read that. But it doesn't change the fact that those updates can cause a mod to quit working as it should. So if my forum is modded and functioning the way I want it to function... And I make continual backups for just in case something bad was to happen... Why would it matter if I update or not?

Naturally if there turned out to be a huge security issue then I might attempt to upgrade. But at this time I don't see the importance of it.

Return to “General Discussion”