Do you ever read the TOC on installing a software?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
sempai

Do you ever read the TOC on installing a software?

Post by sempai » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:34 am

Hi,

For the most part, new software products have been installed every now and then by computer users/programers. In my experience, I have never even bothered to read or understand the TOC upon installing the programs since the day I got hold of my old computer.

What happens if the software you installed has created problems on your PC only to find out that the software company is not liable directly/indirectly that assumming that you read the TOC?

From a technical standpoint, does it really matter to read the TOC of the product from a normal user? :?:

Any thoughts? :)
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure Fan Site
http://dualfans.host.sk

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:41 am

Yes.
Next.
Next.
Next.
Finish.
super fun rainbow colour sig

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:29 am

Pit wrote: Yes.
Next.
Next.
Next.
Finish.

Once again Pit provides little to no insight ;)

Personally I don't read the TOC, because I am a home user and the work I do is mostly for personal and not of a buissness nature. Any information that is lost is agrivateing at best but not impacting towards how I make my living. Now if I depended on the software to make my liveing, I would read the TOC and all related materials provided with the software just to make sure that nothing will affect me in a negative way if something were to go wrong :)

ScottTaylor

Post by ScottTaylor » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:07 pm

nah its always the same, the only time I would read it is if it wasnt a mainstream project and so mightnt have had so much testing as the larger trusted ones would.

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:01 pm

Most of them are too boring to read.

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:08 pm

phantomk wrote: Once again Pit provides little to no insight ;)

Cancel.
Delete.
super fun rainbow colour sig

starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:58 pm

If im ever installing an unknown, or potentioanlly unwanted piece of software, I read through the agreement thoroughly every time. 99% of apps that come bundled with spyware contain little references to it in the 50 million page license agreement.

If I am installing a mainstream application I NEED (such as photoshop, etc etc) I dont read it because even if I didnt agree with it...I need the program.
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!

micaribe

Post by micaribe » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:47 pm

Depends. If I know the source is safe and trustworthy (e.g. Microsoft, Apple, etc.), then probably not. If it's a program from an unknown source, then I'll thoroughly read the document to make sure I'm not going to harm my computer.
- Matt

Did you know... "mi caribe" is Spanish for "my Caribbean"

www.micaribe.net || community.micaribe.net || About Me!
No support via PM

telerman

Re: Do you ever read the TOC on installing a software?

Post by telerman » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:30 pm

sempai wrote: From a technical standpoint, does it really matter to read the TOC of the product from a normal user? :?:

I think yes, but it depends on how much complicated is the software and how much settings/config options it have.

Is just like buying a microwave or tv, i never read manualls... but if something is more difficult, could be a good idea to start reading documentation.

Rapid Dr3am

Post by Rapid Dr3am » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:51 pm

I definitely don't read the licence agreement, and to prove that no-one does an old piece of software I wrote in school (simple media app with rip to mp3 using lame.dll) on the licence it had a section on your imortal soul and future earnings. I doubt it's legally binding but it was there to prove that no-one read it.

zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:26 pm

Most of the time I read the privacy and termination sections and search for search for the word "soul" in there.
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend

starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:59 pm

Good one zerok. :lol:
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!

rick`

Post by rick` » Tue May 02, 2006 2:05 am

The only time I read the TOS is for freeware / shareware things I download.
I'm really picky when it comes to knowing exactly what they're going to be installing.

And I actively look for reference to 3rd party software, or anything along those lines.
I hate hidden spyware.

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec » Tue May 02, 2006 7:07 am

Most software I install these days doesn't even have that thing (GPL stuff usualyl doesn't)

as for those that do, they are usually needed to the extent that agreeing with the agreement doesn't matter, so I don't read it.

To be honest, I've never read even 1% of the thing...

Govnor

Post by Govnor » Wed May 03, 2006 10:26 am

I think there should be some kind of law that terms & conditions should have a 'plain english' layout, and declare if it installs adware, collects information about you e.t.c.

I had a contract with a new mobile phone network last year, they said half price via 'cashback'.
To get the cashback I had to save all my bills & send them in after 6 months, registered post, & they must be recieved within a very small window of time. All written into a T&C page as long as the great wall of china.
Needless to say I didn't get my 'cashback' & could do nothing about it.

Theres a moral here somewhere, but I still click yes, next, next, finish.. :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”