World Cup

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
-jm-
Former Team Member

Re: football?

Post by -jm- » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:41 pm

nickfyoung wrote: A very exciting game to watch.
Although world cup stuff is popular now because Aus. has a team in for the first time...Nick

Well, it's the second time in the competition (first time back to 1974, so eons ago), and first time to the second round
This 'cause beating the 5th team of South America is a very difficult task for teams from Oceania. Even if the 5th team is as weak as Uruguay seems to be during the 00s .
-jm- (a.k.a. juanm) - *NO* private support
Hacked?
With so many beautiful colors in the world it’s a shame to make everything black and white - Dennis R. Little
my links: tips&stuff :: stuff only

sutha2222

Re: football?

Post by sutha2222 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:32 pm

nickfyoung wrote: Sorry, being from the southern part of Australia, football is Australian Rules Football. A very exciting game to watch.
Although world cup stuff is popular now because Aus. has a team in for the first time...Nick

I think now your team playing well

Noobarmy

Post by Noobarmy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:54 pm

well the quarters and semis have certainly been interesting. argentina in my mind could've won lost in a very dissapointing match against germany...england got knocked out in yet another penalty shootout(have htey ever won one :?) and France defeated Brazil in very nice style.

Italy then played germany knockin them out in supreme style. and france continued their winning streak by knockin out portugal...

now we must await for Italy vs France. i think italy will win in extra time or france will win in normal time. if it goes to penalties its anyones game :D

xu_anping

Post by xu_anping » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:03 am

Noobarmy wrote: well the quarters and semis have certainly been interesting. argentina in my mind could've won lost in a very dissapointing match against germany...england got knocked out in yet another penalty shootout(have htey ever won one :?) and France defeated Brazil in very nice style.

Italy then played germany knockin them out in supreme style. and france continued their winning streak by knockin out portugal...

now we must await for Italy vs France. i think italy will win in extra time or france will win in normal time. if it goes to penalties its anyones game :D

I can't understand you underwrite meanings although,you write it in Chinese and I'm From China

johnnyappleseed

Post by johnnyappleseed » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:49 am

Oh wait, now I get it.

You guys are talking about soccer right?

Football is that other game, you know the one, big guys bashing into eachother, tossing around a ball that is shaped kinda like an oval?

I heard today that there is some kinda soccer game on tommorrow for anyone that is interested.

I still hope that Trinidad&Tobago will sneak back somehow and take it all (maybe next time).
Have You Ranted Today? http://www.rantsandslants.com

KL89

Post by KL89 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:44 am

THIS is a football:

*sigh*, oh the yanks, stealing names from others to name their own sports. :roll:

:wink:
This signature suck.

onigumo

Post by onigumo » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:17 am

I'm a Yank and I love (American) football. However, I'd prefer if it was named "blitzball" instead and soccer "football".

I've been watching some of the World Cup, since it's shown while I'm at my job and, when I have a break, I may catch some parts of it. The game today between Germany and Portugal I watched much of. Even though this was simply for third place with no hope of advancing, for a clueless Yank like me, I thought it to be somewhat entertaining. Those goals seemed very good (the second one had me feeling somewhat sorry for the guy who accidentally knocked it in for Germany), and Germany's goaly made some great saves.
I write articles on community building
@ The Infinity Program.

KL89

Post by KL89 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:27 am

onigumo wrote: I've been watching some of the World Cup, since it's shown while I'm at my job and, when I have a break, I may catch some parts of it. The game today between Germany and Portugal I watched much of. Even though this was simply for third place with no hope of advancing, for a clueless Yank like me, I thought it to be somewhat entertaining. Those goals seemed very good (the second one had me feeling somewhat sorry for the guy who accidentally knocked it in for Germany), and Germany's goaly made some great saves.

I just saw the second half but Germany looked strong. Podolski's 3-0 shot was great.
What many americans don't know about is probably the supporter cult that surrounds european football clubs. I don't know if there actually is any sport in the US where hundreds/thousands of supporters travel long distances every other week just to support their team on the spot? Hockey maybe? Fill me in, I don't know...

Anyhow, I think if I was an american, born and raised in USA, I would probably look at "soccer" and go what the fukk, that's the lamest I've ever seen. :)
On Conan a while ago he joked about how the sport was all about ball possession and there was never any action, etc. Hehe.
This signature suck.

Noobarmy

Post by Noobarmy » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:45 pm

its quite true. you dont get yanks that travel across the continent to follow a team...

europe is dominated by the football. almost everything seems to revolve around it...

probably cause its the only sport we're any good at ;)

phpbb.it

Post by phpbb.it » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:28 pm

ITALY CHAMPION WORLD :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: GOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDD
phpbb italian support phpbb.it
italian models passionelotto.com

txuspe

Post by txuspe » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:40 pm

Congratulations Italy! :wink:

lisamichelle

Post by lisamichelle » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:08 am

Well done Italy!!!
And what was that with Zidane??? Madness! If I were him I don't think I'd be able to confront anyone after that....
Moving to the US as an au pair!

Amailer

Post by Amailer » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:51 pm

Yet he gets awarded best player of the World Cup :S damn the votes being counted before the match :roll:

I thought through the game France played a better game, but DAMN what on earth was that? Zidane he really messed it up, big time, I'm sure they could have used him on that penalty shoot out
>> New AaronDM - Help with phpBB Setups, Mods or more? Contact me!
>> Visit Compsci - For all students interested in computer science.

phpbb.it

Post by phpbb.it » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:11 pm

Image Image
phpbb italian support phpbb.it
italian models passionelotto.com

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:48 pm

phpbb.it wrote: Image Image

LMAO, the Italian player looks like a doll that's been thrown to the ground :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRO626ImQek
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D

Return to “General Discussion”