Windows Vista

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
JonB2004

Windows Vista

Post by JonB2004 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:33 am

What's your opinion of Windows Vista? Do you think its going to be the best Microsoft OS yet, or do you think its going to fizzle?
Come on everyone! Join Paradox Parliament!

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Paradox_Parliament

mlgrafix

Post by mlgrafix » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:34 am

it will suck horibly! Prob cuz it requires 128mb gfx card just to run the visuals. And it will prob be the end of open source cuz i bet that bill gates will make some gay software autorization thing.

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:36 am

I had one of the older betas, it sucked really bad.

Then I had Beta 2, it was a lot better than the first one I had, but it was incredibly huge, clunky, and buggy.

You need one heck of a fast machine to get the most out of it. If your computer was made in 2003 or earlier, stay away from it. Or if you have a Celeron/Sempron or some other cheap system, don't use it. I own a new computer (AMD Athlon Dual Core 3800+, 1 GB RAM) and it was quite slow even on that.

Also I had problems with a Star Trek game, in XP it worked perfectly.

Microsoft had better get itself together in the 6 or so months it has left, only Windows ME is worse than this so far.

mlgrafix

Post by mlgrafix » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:39 am

yeah win me wont be the worst for too long. XD also i would stay w/ xp because unbelevibly, there will be less bugs and holes than vista.

JonB2004

Post by JonB2004 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:51 am

I haven't tried Windows Vista myself, but I heard that it was a memory hog and that the Windows Aero GUI needs a massive GPU. I just don't understand Microsoft. Why don't they just make an updated version of Windows XP and stick the Windows Vista label on it. That'll keep everyone happy! Especially Windows XP was probably the best and most stable Windows release yet. I don't see why we need to move to 64-bit. I myself prefer Mac OS X. Its got better features than Windows Vista will have, its extremely stable, you don't have to update it every week, it boots up really quick, and it will run on all of Apple's older computers.

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:58 am

We need 64-bit for more RAM. 32-bit can only use up to 4 GB RAM.

Yeah I wouldn't mind buying a "Super XP". It would represent 5 years of Microsoft effort, and it would come a long way from the original October 2001 Windows XP.

Idea: make Service Pack 3 and sell it for $50 (security updates/bug fixes would still be free) but the SP3 would have cool enhancements and stuff.

JonB2004

Post by JonB2004 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:24 am

Newfie wrote: We need 64-bit for more RAM. 32-bit can only use up to 4 GB RAM.

Yeah I wouldn't mind buying a "Super XP". It would represent 5 years of Microsoft effort, and it would come a long way from the original October 2001 Windows XP.

Idea: make Service Pack 3 and sell it for $50 (security updates/bug fixes would still be free) but the SP3 would have cool enhancements and stuff.

Oops! Forgot about that. Yeah, I read that 64-bit computers can hold up to 1 terabyte of RAM and massive hard drive. Hardware like that isn't available but I guess its a nice thought that your computer can hold 1 terabyte of RAM.

And I agree with you. Windows XP SP3 should be called Windows Vista. That way it would buy Microsoft more time to develop their next operating system with all the features and that way they could make it true 64-bit.

beatme101

Post by beatme101 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:25 am

JonB2004 wrote: Especially Windows XP was probably the best and most stable Windows release yet.

I've compared 98se, 2000 pro, and XP pro for stability in various uses, and XP fared the worst, then came 98se, then came 2000 Pro as the most stable of the three. XP is also the slowest of the three. 2000 Pro and 98se seem to beat each other in speed in different areas.. What Microsoft is doing with their operating systems is exactly the same mistake they are doing with their messengers. They just keep getting worse and worse. 2000 Pro fared best operating system in my experiences, and MSN Messenger 6.2 fared best messenger in my experiences.

And to everyone.. I believe there is a 64 bit version of Windows XP...

JonB2004

Post by JonB2004 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:31 am

beatme101 wrote: I've compared 98se, 2000 pro, and XP pro for stability in various uses, and XP fared the worst, then came 98se, then came 2000 Pro as the most stable of the three. XP is also the slowest of the three. 2000 Pro and 98se seem to beat each other in speed in different areas.. What Microsoft is doing with their operating systems is exactly the same mistake they are doing with their messengers. They just keep getting worse and worse. 2000 Pro fared best operating system in my experiences, and MSN Messenger 6.2 fared best messenger in my experiences.

And to everyone.. I believe there is a 64 bit version of Windows XP...

I thought Windows 2000 was one of the worst Microsoft OSes ever. And yes I know there is a 64-bit version of Windows XP, but doesn't it only support the Intel Itanium processor.

beatme101

Post by beatme101 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:33 am

JonB2004 wrote: I thought Windows 2000 was one of the worst Microsoft OSes ever. And yes I know there is a 64-bit version of Windows XP, but doesn't it only support the Intel Itanium processor.

Windows 2000 != Windows ME

To tell you the truth, I don't know all that much about the 64 bit version of Windows XP.

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:36 am

Windows 2000 was super-awesome (at least compared to the other Windowses). The only major problem with it is that it is older, and slowly beginning to fall behind hardware and software standards.

Windows NT 4 was also awesome in it's day. It only started to suck when it continued to get older.

Don't forget, 2000 and NT4 were not meant for the Average Joe. Windows XP was the first NT kernel OS designed for the Average Joe. Maybe catering to Avg. Joe screwed it up, and maybe Vista is even MORE designed to spoon-feed the Avg. Joe, which may explain its degrading quality.

Noobarmy

Post by Noobarmy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:43 am

i loved '98. had all the stuff u needed and shut down was like less then a minute. as for vista it will be an almighty flop. after lookinmg at the beta ones i hated it from the offset and itjust got worse :D everyone should convert to linux :D

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:51 am

mlgrafix wrote: it will suck horibly! Prob cuz it requires 128mb gfx card just to run the visuals.

Wrong. Yes, it will if you turn it up the full way, but that's only aero glass. There's still aero and "classic", which are both roughly equivilent to XP's Luna and classic
And it will prob be the end of open source cuz i bet that bill gates will make some gay software autorization thing.

1. "the end of open source"? Image

2. How does software verification spell the end of windows? I don't see XP being shunned by the masses of the general public because of it, or Norton, Photoshop etc for it either. Next please.

3. Don't use gay as an insult. We have several gay moderators and hundreds of gay users here, who will take it as an insult.

Anywho, I am looking forward to Vista. Yes, it is buggy now, but that is shock horror because it is beta quality software. Yes, the final version will have bugs/flaws (name me one piece of software that doesn't!), but I feel that after toying with it it'll be a great piece of software. Linux on the other hand dosn't work "out of the box" like windows does (Even Win 2000 worked better by default than SuSE 10.1 ;))

Thatbitextra
Former Team Member
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Thatbitextra » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:58 am

I think I'm the only person in the world who never ever had a problem with Windows ME. Maybe people make their PCs crash on purpose *shrugs*.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to Vista. I personally don't care if it uses loads of resources; I'm not usually using them for anything else. After all, most people spend the majority of their computer usage time looking at Windows, so why shouldn't MS go out of their way to make it look nice?
However, I haven't actually used the betas, so I'm just basing it on looks, but as long as the finished product works, I guess I'll buy it. The sooner I do, the better value it will be. After all, most people said they wouldn't get XP because they didn't feel the need, but as always, compatability forces people to upgrade.
Styles KB
My MODs: Choose Who to Accept PMs From (Prevents unwanted PMs!) | Warn of Old Topic Before Posting Reply
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:01 am

Anon wrote: 2. How does software verification spell the end of windows? I don't see XP being shunned by the masses of the general public because of it, or Norton, Photoshop etc for it either. Next please.

I don't think he was referring to Product Activation or even the more recent Genuine Advantage. DRM, Palladium, and Fritz Chips are collectively one more step forward in sabotaging software freedom in an overzealous effort to enforce copyright law, which may possibly hurt Linux et al as a side-effect. Vista is supposedly adding much greater DRM et al. support than XP ever had.

I would hope DRM is isolated to the commercial software/music/movies and should have absolutely no effect on Linux and other free software.

Return to “General Discussion”