Windows Vista

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
SAK `

Post by SAK ` » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:46 pm

Thanx for backing me up! :wink: As long as Vista continues to be buggy (heck, I even test-drove Office 12 before it renamed itself into 2007 and that was buggy), the development somehow still sticks around the early stages, which is what I believe. Same thing as one of my newest skins, I declared early stage of development since the TPL's I had were not met to my standards and I called it buggy, so I have to go back, re-code and fix the page layouts.

So I mean, as long as there are bugs and stuff, there should be some other valid reasons why development stages should be early.
The Serial AD Killa trademark is no more. 2003-2007

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:23 am

pulling his hair wrote: Originally meant to be shipped around now? No where near. It was meant to ship in 2003.

I'm curious where you're getting this information. I think you should double check your sources ;)

All I can say is that the second Beta runs very smoothly on my PC. It is not slower than XP and the GUI is way better. Close to six years will have passed since XP when Vista is released, you cannot expect the requirements to increase a tiny bit. If you don't have 512MB of RAM, a 64MB 3D GPU and a processor in the GHz (or rather, won't by next year), then you really shouldn't complain about requirements.

Kind of like going 30MPH on a highway in a 70s Ford and yelling that everyone is going too fast.
SAK ` wrote: heck, I even test-drove Office 12 before it renamed itself into 2007 and that was buggy

Then you're referring to a very green piece of software. I have tested 3 different versions of Office 2007/12 and there were very significant changes between the versions. When released, it may look totally different that what you or I tested. You're not expected to live in a house that's still being built.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

pulling his hair

Post by pulling his hair » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:43 pm

Marshalrusty wrote:
pulling his hair wrote:Originally meant to be shipped around now? No where near. It was meant to ship in 2003.

I'm curious where you're getting this information. I think you should double check your sources ;)
It's mentioned in the Wikipedia article, and is cited to a private Client Server News article.

Bison911

Post by Bison911 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:42 pm

It's not hard to believe that not many people have a 64M GPU Graphics Card. I don't have one, and I just built my computer last year. Some just don't want to spend money on expensive graphics...

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:08 pm

Bison911 wrote: It's not hard to believe that not many people have a 64M GPU Graphics Card. I don't have one, and I just built my computer last year. Some just don't want to spend money on expensive graphics...

But try going out and buying a preassembled computer $800+ without at least a 64MB or even 128MB. You will have to search to find one. Vista, in my opinion, doesn't need to support 3 year old computers. It's releasing in 2006/2007, so it should support average 2006/2007 computers. And it does so extremely well.

If older computer users don't have that graphics card, the solution is simple. Turn off Aero Glass and go right to Aero. Or even classic mode.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:41 pm

pulling his hair wrote:
Marshalrusty wrote:
pulling his hair wrote:Originally meant to be shipped around now? No where near. It was meant to ship in 2003.

It's mentioned in the Wikipedia article

I'd take anything mentioned on Wikipedia with a bucket of salt

Mark

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:46 am

AdamR wrote:
Bison911 wrote:It's not hard to believe that not many people have a 64M GPU Graphics Card. I don't have one, and I just built my computer last year. Some just don't want to spend money on expensive graphics...

But try going out and buying a preassembled computer $800+ without at least a 64MB or even 128MB. You will have to search to find one. Vista, in my opinion, doesn't need to support 3 year old computers. It's releasing in 2006/2007, so it should support average 2006/2007 computers. And it does so extremely well.

If older computer users don't have that graphics card, the solution is simple. Turn off Aero Glass and go right to Aero. Or even classic mode.

- Adam

FYI my video card is a 256 MB nVidia GeForce 6200 TurboCache.

Bison911

Post by Bison911 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:19 pm

AdamR wrote:
Bison911 wrote:It's not hard to believe that not many people have a 64M GPU Graphics Card. I don't have one, and I just built my computer last year. Some just don't want to spend money on expensive graphics...

- Adam

I disagree. They should support older hardware as well. They are going to have a lot of businesses wanting to upgrade to vista, but before they do that they will have to get new computers.

Then again thats not the only thing Microsoft and I disagree on.

Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:23 pm

Bison911 wrote:
AdamR wrote:

- Adam

I disagree. They should support older hardware as well. They are going to have a lot of businesses wanting to upgrade to vista, but before they do that they will have to get new computers.

Then again thats not the only thing Microsoft and I disagree on.

Again, as AdamR just stated, you can simply use the regular Aero style, or classic, which won't require a largey powerfull graphics card. As such, buisnesses will be able to upgrade and use Vista, as other than the graphics card needed for Aero glass, non of the other requirements are really over the top.

ronknights

Post by ronknights » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:41 pm

I look forward to Vista, and hope to have a newer more powerful computer before it hits the retail shelves. I've been wanting a better computer anyway because I'm a techno-geek.

I probably won't use all the Eye Candy offered by Vista. I use the Windows Classic interface for XP now.

I love it when people talk about how great Linux is. It can't run my graphics software: Poser, DAZ|Studio, etc etc.

I installed Linux on my second computer just for the experience. Unfortunately I couldn't figure how to install new software other than what came with the Linux package itself.

It shouldn't be that hard to accomplish. If Linux is so great, they should have an easy software installation capability just like Windows.

I finally wiped Linux off the second computer and went back to Windows XP.

darkassasin93

Post by darkassasin93 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:45 am

Hello,

Personally, I don't see why people are comparing Windows XP's system requirements to Windows Vista's, after 6 or 7 years, when the market has had time to develop, and higher standards have been set. Consider this:

It's 2001. Windows XP has just been released... This was your (The Average Joe's) computer:
  • - 800 MHZ CPU
    - 16 - 32 MB Graphics
    - 128 - 256 MB RAM
    - 20 GB Harddrive
Now, it's 2007 (6 Years later), Windows Vista has hit the shelfs of computer stores (hopefully)... this should be what your computer has (or close):
  • - 1.8 GHZ CPU
    - 96 - 128 MB Graphics (Or slightly lower, if you don't play video games)
    - 768 MB RAM (512 + 256) (Give or take some, depending on your day-to-day activities)
    - 50 GB Harddrive (Or more)
If you have anything that is signifigantly lower than that, you really should be looking into a new computer (unless of course you only use your computer for minor activities e.g. IM'ing, Word Processing, E-mail). Now, take a look at my computer's specs:
  • - 2.6 GHZ CPU
    - 128 MB Graphics
    - 1 GB RAM
    - 60 GB Harddrive (With an extra 40 GB Harddrive in D:\)
    - A DVD Drive and a DVD-RW Drive (With some extra features I don't care about)
Although my computer is a little above average than current standards. So, over 6 years, people think that Microsoft will stay with the old computers who are weaker than a (lets say) Dell C810 Laptop that was released a few years ago. After all... it has been 6 years.

darkassasin93 8)

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:08 am

My specs:

AMD AthlonX2 64 3800+ 2.0 GHz
1024 MB RAM
330 GB SATA hard drive
256 MB video card

And Vista is STILL freakin' slow! While XP, 2000, and several Linux distros are going like rockets on the exact same computer.

ronknights

Post by ronknights » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:02 am

If you're going to have a "powerful" computer, you really want more memory.

Oh, and remember Vista still has lots of debugging stuff in there because it's still in beta.

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:20 pm

ronknights wrote: If you're going to have a "powerful" computer, you really want more memory.

Oh, and remember Vista still has lots of debugging stuff in there because it's still in beta.

Yeah right, spend hundreds of dollars on upgrades just to satisfy Vista's insatiable appetite!? Upgrades that I don't need for about 99.9% of any other purpose yet?

Come on now, Vista's just a resource pig, that's what it is, isn't it?

darkassasin93

Post by darkassasin93 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:07 pm

Hello,

If you're referring to my post...

If you don't have a computer with at least 1.5 GHZ CPU and 512 MB RAM, then (again...) you need a serious upgrade.

darkassasin93 8)

Return to “General Discussion”