Windows Vista vs Mac OS X

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Al Knight

Re: Windows Vista vs Mac OS X

Post by Al Knight »

I would get Vista, I tried Mac once, and I'm not getting used to it, plus most of the software is windows compatible, but in reality I prefer to use non microsoft products. Like FF and Dreamweaver/Apache/MySQL than Microsoft Visual Studio/ MS SQL.
CiDhed

Re:

Post by CiDhed »

MarkTheDaemon wrote:Lets also factor into this the cost of the system and then re-evaluate... :roll:

Mark

http://www.computerworld.com/action/art ... Id=9023959

What are you talking about?

Anyways... Its funny the agenda that windows fanboi's have. Every thing has its purpose. Windows has a purpose because it is the leader. Vista is crap compared to the previous versions. Instead of going over the code and optimizing it they just push up the requirements.

I am completely content using XP but I prefer 2k. Why do I still prefer 2k? It runs games faster(benchmarks and realworld tests) on my machine and it isn't because my machine is a slouch(3400 64, 7600GT, 2gigs of ram.) At my work I manage 600+ windows 2k and XP machines. The first thing I do to a xp machine is turn off everything XP added. Firewall, Visual effects, System restore and several other things.
Lyao

Post by Lyao »

I use Debian.
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Mac OS X is better... than all. :ugeek:
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
DarkGod
I've Been Banned!

Post by DarkGod »

Dog Cow wrote:Mac OS X is better... than all. :ugeek:
If it ever runs with the hardware and software I use, then I'll call it better. It lacks the universal support that Microsoft strives for.

There are pros and cons to both, so to say one is better than the other is far to generalized.
Tom@S

Post by Tom@S »

i would like to try new leopard but---1.i have no macbook but asus book
2.i need to run autocad and propably autocad soft cant run on mac OS
i like it how it is looks like,HW needings etc
and how about viruses?it is somethink line linux or are some viruses on mac OS?
www.teamhcn.com

Post by www.teamhcn.com »

Tom@S wrote:i would like to try new leopard but---1.i have no macbook but asus book
2.i need to run autocad and propably autocad soft cant run on mac OS
i like it how it is looks like,HW needings etc
and how about viruses?it is somethink line linux or are some viruses on mac OS?
Tom@s, you might want to take a look at this thread, and reconsider the MacBook Pro you don't have. As for viruses, anything other than Windows would be an improvement in that category. Currently, there is 1 (minor and easily avoidable) trojan for OSX; there are no viruses. Leopard is now UNIX-certified (on Intel hardware), which should also be of some comfort.
Site | Forums
=HCN= Team Cyanide
"After one taste of us, you're already dead."
Tom@S

Post by Tom@S »

i have inel procesor but no mac book.I never use others OS like windows (i dislike linux) but this leopard i like on first site.What about drivers wich i have for my notebook?Will be there some problems.ANd still is here that autocad software...
www.teamhcn.com

Tom@S wrote:i have inel procesor but no mac book.I never use others OS like windows (i dislike linux) but this leopard i like on first site.What about drivers wich i have for my notebook?Will be there some problems.ANd still is here that autocad software...
Autodesk doesn't make a Mac version of AutoCAD, but MacBooks can already run Windows, so it shouldn't really matter. Driver problems? I wouldn't know, since I'm not running Windows on my Mac. There's probably a few. The reviews I've read on Windows performance on Intel Macs have been overall very positive, and I'm sure most of the bugs will get addressed by Apple software updates over time.
Site | Forums
=HCN= Team Cyanide
Tom@S

Post by Tom@S »

but if i want new OS why should i install again win in?I have only 80 GB HDD it is only 14,1" notebook not desktop and i need autocad for my study.I heard somethink about bootcamp(or so i dont remmeber the original name) and there i can put win in it.But i am not sure if i want to try somethink new because i want make thinks easily and than install again winz :D
www.teamhcn.com

Tom@S wrote:but if i want new OS why should i install again win in?I have only 80 GB HDD it is only 14,1" notebook not desktop and i need autocad for my study.I heard somethink about bootcamp(or so i dont remmeber the original name) and there i can put win in it.But i am not sure if i want to try somethink new because i want make thinks easily and than install again winz :D
My point about getting a MacBook Pro was that it would be a faster alternative to what you already have. If you're happy with your current notebook, keep it. The new MacBook Pros come with 200GB HDs, so space shouldn't be an issue. OSX Leopard is now 64-bit, and it properly supports multi-core CPUs, so you'll notice a big speed increase. Boot Camp lets you dual-boot Windows (Macs can dual-boot Linux, too), but a program like Parallels Desktop would save you the hassle of doing that by letting you run both OSes side-by-side. Again, there is no Mac version of AutoCAD, so you will have to continue using Windows if you really need that program. Boot Camp and Parallels are both fairly easy and (mostly) hassle-free to install, once you've done that they're nearly idiot-proof.
Site | Forums
=HCN= Team Cyanide

Return to “General Discussion”