Windows Vista vs Mac OS X

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
alink1000

Post by alink1000 »

Newfie wrote:
Bison911 wrote:I disagree. I think Vista is going to be extremely slow, and much less efficient.

It already is. Unless a miracle happens in Microsoft, Vista might be the slowest and most inefficient OS ever made.

It actually depends on your computer, you know, so I highly doubt that. Anyways, I wouldn't want to go with mac, due to the fact that I like the taskbar interface better than a dock, and mac has never been an OS for me. Also, all other OS are inferior to Windows, IMO. :)
alink1000

Post by alink1000 »

Yawner wrote: Its interesting that nobody has mentioned Linux thus far.. With the inroads Ubuntu has been making why hasnt Edgy Eft been included within this comparison? I know its still in planning but with the featurelist it looks like the first Linux Distro is a long time that will really have a viable chance against the Paid OS Market..

Yawnster

lol, Ubuntu sucks and is far inferior to windows. Crappy interface, crappy file system/file formats, etc. (Sorry for double post)
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

alink1000 wrote:
Yawner wrote:Its interesting that nobody has mentioned Linux thus far.. With the inroads Ubuntu has been making why hasnt Edgy Eft been included within this comparison? I know its still in planning but with the featurelist it looks like the first Linux Distro is a long time that will really have a viable chance against the Paid OS Market..

Yawnster

lol, Ubuntu sucks and is far inferior to windows. Crappy interface, crappy file system/file formats, etc. (Sorry for double post)

Have you even used Ubuntu?

Mark
adventure_of_link

Post by adventure_of_link »

Also, if you're calling Ubuntu's filesystem crappy, then you're saying all other Linux filesystems are crappy.

EXT3 for me. No defragging, faster in some situations, and journaling. :D

I'm assuming you've never played through the options to format as ResierFS, XFS, EXT2/3, etc.
alink1000

Post by alink1000 »

MarkTheDaemon wrote:
alink1000 wrote:
Yawner wrote:Its interesting that nobody has mentioned Linux thus far.. With the inroads Ubuntu has been making why hasnt Edgy Eft been included within this comparison? I know its still in planning but with the featurelist it looks like the first Linux Distro is a long time that will really have a viable chance against the Paid OS Market..

Yawnster

Have you even used Ubuntu?

Mark

Yes, why the hell else would you think I'd say all those things? I've used it, and hated it the worst. Even knoppix is better, and it's designed for a live CD. :roll:
adventure_of_link wrote: Also, if you're calling Ubuntu's filesystem crappy, then you're saying all other Linux filesystems are crappy.

Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. :)
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

So you just generally hate Linux. Fair enough, continue to use windows.

Mark
alink1000

Post by alink1000 »

MarkTheDaemon wrote: So you just generally hate Linux. Fair enough, continue to use windows.

Mark

Well I don't hate it all the way. Some linux OSs have their strong points. But, that I will continue. :wink:
SAK `

Post by SAK ` »

Is there a Linux OS that would be like Vista, OSX Leopard, or both?
The Serial AD Killa trademark is no more. 2003-2007
Pierremonteux

Post by Pierremonteux »

SAK ` wrote: Is there a Linux OS that would be like Vista, OSX Leopard, or both?

I believe that it is not quite the linix distro that is like vista or osx...but rather the gui. KDE Konqueror..has similarities with os style operating systems...
I've seen some with windows...(i've even seen a linux distro writtian from the ground up to act like windows 95...but that was so bad i'll not go there)

I doubt there's something that would be close to a true clone in linux. Now a lot of the gui's offer the options of having program windows and the desktop act more like linux, osx or windows, but that's as close as i've seen in my (i'll admit limited) experience.
adventure_of_link

Post by adventure_of_link »

Pierremonteux wrote: (i've even seen a linux distro writtian from the ground up to act like windows 95...but that was so bad i'll not go there)

Was it either ReactOS or puppy linux ?
dc_d00de

Post by dc_d00de »

i think reactos
Searlnetwork

Post by Searlnetwork »

I think you all have very valid point. The fact is that there are thing that mac can do better then windows and there are thing that windows can do better the mac.

Like:

Lage corporate networks (windows)
Web Server (windows, Linux)
Graphics (mac)
End user interface (mac, and windows)

I could go on and on. Every one has there favorites.

I think that windows Vista will not make a very big impact in buisness world, but in personal or home use it will.

Buisness will still use both windows (xp pro/2000 pro) and lunix.
There always answer to a problem/Question, you just need to know where to look!!!!!
bes

Post by bes »

Searlnetwork wrote: but in personal or home use it will.

in many countries Vista's requirement of RAM: 512 MB is not v. popular, and as I've noticed Windows needs often a little bit more to work really good
moreover 11 GB of free hard disk space for installation is often a big part of ppl's HDD space..
that's why I think that in the beginning Vista'll need time to enter many pcs
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

It is important to recognise though that the whole Unix is for servers Macs are for graphics Win32 is for games stereotype doesn't really apply, as all three platforms are mostly interchangable. Granted there are a few areas where a platform is dominant out of necessity as opposed to tradition (although one could say the former is a flow on effect of the latter), these are a dying breed, and choosing a computer/OS based on the above conception isn't a wise idea
beka

Post by beka »

Do not forget that Windows Vista uses new version of Direct X. With it games are much more realistic... :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”