FreeDOS owner calls it quits: Is DOS dead?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Newfie

FreeDOS owner calls it quits: Is DOS dead?

Post by Newfie » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:07 am

EDIT - June 30: According to Jim Hall, this turned out to be a joke that backfired. FreeDOS is still alive. :D

About today/yesterday, FreeDOS manager Jim Hall pretty much resigned and gave the project up for dead. He moved the content to SourceForge from his own server, and now freedos.org redirects to the new SF page.

Jim Hall founded FreeDOS in 1994, and it came a long way but it is still in "beta" stage. It never made it to version 1.0 like he had hoped. He got tired of waiting and gave up. He even made a logo depicting the FreeDOS Fish lying on his back dead (imagine a dead Bertie bear or a dead penguin). FreeDOS uses the GPL license, like phpBB does. :D

While FreeDOS is still available from SF and the download mirrors, the shocking thing is after 12 years, the FreeDOS project is considered dead by its founder/owner. Of course I am grateful for Jim and everybody else's work, and FreeDOS is about 90% or more as good as MS-DOS.

What do you guys think of the DOS world in general?

For me, while I'm a fan of DOS (been using it since I was 9 years old in 1992), I am beginning to feel the life oozing out of it as it continues to get older and older. Gradually, DOS is having less influence on my computer life but I still enjoy it as a hobby. The majority of my serious purposes are done on either Windows or Linux.
Last edited by Newfie on Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:51 am

I do think that DOS doesn't have as much as a use now as it did. After all, Linux/GNU with CLI can run on extremely old systems, so I think that that'll be what'll go in FreeDOS's place :)

Bison911

Post by Bison911 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:43 pm

I don't know why everyone loves DOS so much. I think its because thats what they originally learned on. DOS really isn't very powerful. We still have BASH and dozens of other good cli shells, which imo are excellent.

beatme101

Post by beatme101 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:27 pm

Bison911 wrote: I don't know why everyone loves DOS so much. I think its because thats what they originally learned on. DOS really isn't very powerful. We still have BASH and dozens of other good cli shells, which imo are excellent.

There are so many classic games that run on DOS. For example, Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall. Another good DOS game is called Liero. That one's a free one.

EDIT: Oh, wait, could it be, ANOTHER example of a program who's maker is leaving it to die rather than getting someone else to take it over? (Is FreeDOS open source?)

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:21 am

beatme101 wrote: Oh, wait, could it be, ANOTHER example of a program who's maker is leaving it to die rather than getting someone else to take it over? (Is FreeDOS open source?)
Newfie wrote: FreeDOS uses the GPL license, like phpBB does. :D

Captain_Kirk76

Post by Captain_Kirk76 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:26 am

I have never used FreeDOS, i do however often use DOSBox

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:08 pm

You're sure he actually called FreeDOS dead, in all seriousness? I was doing some reading up yesterday on it and:
Jim Hall wrote: I'll say it here: the rumors of FreeDOS's death are exaggerated. My bad. Sorry.

He did go on to say that he was impatient and all, but look at the update...
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:11 pm

Ah man. He did that as a half-joke/expression of frustration. I'm pleased to see that it's not truly dead after all. :oops:

nautilussoftware

Dead Never

Post by nautilussoftware » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:18 pm

Being a software engineer for 18 years especially in the areas of embedded control and embedded programming and systems design, I can say DOS will never die. It may evolve but never die. It is the fundamental loader OS that glues many things together. Much industrial machinery is running DOS or a realtime application that is very similar to DOS except for the name and selections of features and functionality. However it Lives!!!!

Some of these machines that are $100k in price are fancy in hardware, but they are running multiple Intel Boards to control stages of the machinery and they are all DOS... realtime OS? what a farse. They run in real mode, hahahaha. Just my experience.

It can not be killed as long as you can code an Interrupt service routine and put the Intel Architecture into Real Mode........forget about it. :) 8O

Edited by moderator - Removed excessive colore usage - Techie-Micheal

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:44 am

Yeah Nautilus, that's the way to say it! :D

Even so, this unintended joke death announcement has since given FreeDOS developers a wake-up call of sorts, and now they are pushing to release version 1.0 in about a month's time!

I'm very excited! :D

Probably more excited than you guys are about phpBB 3.0! :lol:

nautilussoftware

Post by nautilussoftware » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:10 pm

Newfie wrote: Yeah Nautilus, that's the way to say it! :D

Even so, this unintended joke death announcement has since given FreeDOS developers a wake-up call of sorts, and now they are pushing to release version 1.0 in about a month's time!

I'm very excited! :D

Probably more excited than you guys are about phpBB 3.0! :lol:

yup;
DOS' Power is in the simplicity of implementation, licensing, and rapid prototyping.

with good task scheduling it can handle many things provided the software in architected right. most companies do not want to license vxWorks or a Pharlap dos extender loader to run the machine in protected mode. it's too much of a pain to create the interrupt handlers in protected mode and thunk down to real and do all that nonsense. so they stay away from that. real is 'real'. Although they should have never placed a limit on the hardware. real mode should never have been created. It should have always been protected mode or a mode that removed the 1 Meg barrier or rather the 640k barrier. hence the technology was not thought out with longevity and expandability because of the short sightedness of the developers. Most said that you would never need that much memory. well the were ignorant and short sighted. hence all IBM based system have tons of legacy hardware and the dumb segmented model that programmer have had to deal with since the birth of the PC. but DOS rises to the challenge and provides easy solutions to automation and control that get you there without having to spring for all the extras which are not needed in most cases.

Return to “General Discussion”