Very interesting article about WGA

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:56 pm

MarkTheDaemon wrote: This is like using a slegehammer to crack a walnut.

There is no need for Microsoft to start forcing WGA on us. It isn't fair and it certainly isn't acceptable.

This is like writing a prescription to allow Microsoft access to your computer

Mark

Forcing it on us? Windows is their software, a product they sell. They have a right to make sure that we're using legal copies of their software. "Fair" as you've put it is entirely subjective.

SamG's posts have pretty much already covered your point and everything else I've wanted to say (only better).
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:01 pm

MennoniteHobbit wrote:
MarkTheDaemon wrote:This is like using a slegehammer to crack a walnut.

There is no need for Microsoft to start forcing WGA on us. It isn't fair and it certainly isn't acceptable.

This is like writing a prescription to allow Microsoft access to your computer

Mark

Forcing it on us? Windows is their software, a product they sell.

OK, another point of view. Has it been proven that Microsoft will only use this tool to check their software? Sometime soon we're going to end up with a Big Brother, that tracks every application and file on our systems. And i'm sure that nobody wants that.

Mark

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:09 pm

Microsoft is innocent until proven guilty. They don't have to prove anything about WGA to be entitled to be left alone by us here.

But, just suppose Microsoft (or any of the dozens of other software companies that have some form of repeated product/license verification) decide that they want to do the Big Brother thing. I can't imagine them putting that out as an add-on. That draws attention. Look for it in the core.

[edit]Really, how hard would it be for an OS with a built-in, indexing search system to spill your computer's guts? Why depend on a flimsy something like WGA when you've already got the all the tools you need to be truly creepy? Even if the decision to be a jerk comes between major releases, all you gotta do is drop a legitimate critical update/Trojan horse into the core product, have it wait for system inactivity, pass a little personal data…

So, c'mon folks, if we're gonna walk around stark raving paranoid, let's at least be realistic about the threats. Does anybody really believe you can hide from Big Brother by keeping WGA off your system?[/edit]

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:07 pm

If we're freaking out about something as minor as WGA, imagine how ripping mad we'd get if Microsoft actually had a Big Brother system.

Microsoft (and all software companies for that matter) needs to know that trying stuff like this is like walking on thin ice.

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:12 pm

:lol: Do you think that a FUD-filled conversation in phpBB.com's General Discussion will put fear into the heart of the Emperor? We talk like WGA is a Death Star when at worst it's a probe droid, and you think the Emperor is going to fear our technical prowess?

It's people like Steve Gibson that the Emperor watches. People who watch and listen to the traffic, not the hype.

SAK `

Post by SAK ` » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:00 pm

If Apple Computer, Inc. does this same thing where copies of OSX are validated, OMG, it will be the end of this world... :roll:

But until that day, I have not seen any installers of OSX (except Server) that forces you to enter its own product keys.

$.@.K.
The Serial AD Killa trademark is no more. 2003-2007

MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:16 pm

SAK ` wrote: If Apple Computer, Inc. does this same thing where copies of OSX are validated, OMG, it will be the end of this world... :roll:

But until that day, I have not seen any installers of OSX (except Server) that forces you to enter its own product keys.

$.@.K.

That is totally irrelevant to the discussion. Apple require you to run their OS on their hardware. Surely that is more forceful than requiring you to enter product keys...

Mark

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:24 pm

If all else fails, shut off your Internet connection. :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”