Screen Resolution... Does Size Matter?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
SaintOfSka

Screen Resolution... Does Size Matter?

Post by SaintOfSka » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:19 pm

Hey Guys,

Having been around here a while, I know that many of you both run sites, and frequent quite a few yourselves. When designing a new site, how do you decide what resolution to make it fit best? When going to one, what resolution do you most prefer. Basically the same question from two different angles... What is the best screen resolution for the web?

Grace and Peace

Da P3s7

Post by Da P3s7 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:33 pm

Dunno. I usually go from 800x600 to 1280x1024.
Actually i think the best is 1024x768 as i've done most sites like that and 99% probably of the net using population has a screen that can see 1024x768...
If he doesnt USUALLY that means that he doesnt even have access to the net. LoL :wink:
-=-=-=-=-=-
For the end of the world spell, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete
-=-=-=-=-=-

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:59 pm

I try to make sites that fit in 800x600, but that are fluid so if someone uses a larger screen it fits. One thing that is often not mentioned is that even if someone has a 1024x768 (or larger) screen they don't run browser windows maximized.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Da P3s7

Post by Da P3s7 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:07 pm

Drathbun is right.... not everyone uses browsers maximized... but think of the othere way around you're on a 1280x1024 monitor (most common i think) and you look at a site that's 800x600.... not particularly very nice... especially if you use opera or firefox which have a page-tag system (unlike ie where you open a new window to view another page and you get like 20 IE running at the same time.... THAT takes memory) and you have to resize every time. Well big and small have theyr advantages and disadvantages.
And to please everyone you have to come up with a solution.
1024 or higher want compatibility with most sites and 800x600 want to be able to see them and scroll around here and there looking for the link....
Your choice really....
-=-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=-

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:34 pm

One thing that the majority might agree is that 640x480 is obsolete.

800x600 should be obsolete within a year or two.

With monitor sizes rather stagnant, 1024x768 should be the normal standard for many years to come.

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:45 am

I optimize for 1024/768, mostly because I can get alot of content on that screen size with it still being comfortable to use. I don't really look at makeing a website "designed" for just one resolution. After all I run 1680/1050 and I never have my browser at full screen :) Mostly I have tucked away at about 1200 pixels wide and only 600 long, a rectangle.

sempai

Post by sempai » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:41 am

800x600 should be obsolete within a year or two.

I don't buy that :? Most of the sites run in that resolution. 1024x768 is mostly run with graphic intensive webistes. They don't need to. :wink:
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure Fan Site
http://dualfans.host.sk

Da P3s7

Post by Da P3s7 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:35 am

Actually i agree with newfie...
800x600 should be obsolete in a few years as larger rez is getting cheaper day by day. And even if the rest 1% doesnt have 1024x768 rez, whos said they got internet....AND even if they DO have internet.... what are the chances to fall exactly onto YOUR site.....think of the odds....
-=-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=-

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:44 pm

Suppose that the "odds" fall out in your favor, and someone with "obsolete" technology comes to your site, and they can't use it. Are you willing to lose a customer / a sale / a forum member because they can't use your site? Is your design so critical / so large that you can't figure out a way to shrink it down? :-)

These are the questions that you have to ask yourself. 8)

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:30 pm

If I have a larger resolution monitor (1280x1024 or above) I will run browser windows at 800x600, so even on larger monitors the size is not dead. Monitor size != browser window size ;)

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:03 pm

Drathbun: As a DOS user, I can sympathize with the need to allow the old to drag down the new. And yes, if you really want to ensure that the fewest numbers of people are left behind, then you would use antique resolution(s). But then you'd have to make several other accomodations, like keeping your content to a minimum to cater to dial-up users, and other stuff like that.

smithy_dll: Simply crank up your resolution even further, then run the 1024x768 website in a non-maximized window. :D

Da P3s7

Post by Da P3s7 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:18 pm

Well i'd definately prefer loosing that particular customer/etc/etc rather than losing all of those that are annoyed by your antique rez.
Think about that too....
Dunno.. as i said you gotta choose carefully....
Think about cons, pros and side-effects....(sounds like i'm talking about medicine :P)

Edit to beatme:
Btw with the huge image size....would you imagine a picture 3000 pixels wide and about 2000 in height taken with my nikon coolpix 7.1
It would fit in 3 screens in width and 2 in height... LoL that's a total of 6 screens!!!....
Last edited by Da P3s7 on Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=-

beatme101

Post by beatme101 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:39 pm

I used to have my web site specifically made for 1280*1024 resolution. But eventually I worked away from that and my web site became viewable from any feasable resolution (probably even lower than 640*480). Stretch to fit. It's just silly* to make a width that is either too wide or too thin for most of your viewers. The only times my web site is too wide now is when you reach a page that has images that are too big.

(Not that you can sample much of my web site that I took down for the rest of this month.. The down explanation page at least fits any resolution.)

*Not an absolute opinion. Sometimes things really do look better at a specified width.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:24 pm

Da P3s7 wrote: Well i'd definately prefer loosing that particular customer/etc/etc rather than losing all of those that are annoyed by your antique rez.
Think about that too....

Did you read what I said in my first post? :-)

Fixed width = bad
Fluid width = good

I try to design to allow for minimum resolution, but create a fluid design. Creating a design that is not fixed with is challenging, and there are certainly compromises. But it's better than losing a customer. I personally hate sites that are fixed width and are either way larger or way smaller than my browser window. Too large and I either have to resize my window or scroll. Too small and I am not using my available space.

If you know your audience, and you know they're all computer fanatics with a 3000 x 2000 screen size and a T1 connection to their house, then go ahead and post your big pictures. :-P

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:59 pm

Newfie wrote: smithy_dll: Simply crank up your resolution even further, then run the 1024x768 website in a non-maximized window. :D

Sadly not always possible :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”