Advertising

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Newfie

Advertising

Post by Newfie » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:22 am

Have you noticed that traditional advertising has a far better reputation than Internet advertising?

E-Mail got plagued with SPAM, some websites have pop-up ads, stuff like "Shoot the animal for a free iPod" gets repetitive and corny after a while, etc.

However, on the radio, we have entertaining jingles, on TV, we have fun stuff like Geico and many other similar fun commercials, and the newspaper has flyers that make you eager to go to the local grocery store to save 50 cents on a food product.

As for me, I find TV/Radio/Newspaper advertising to be enjoyable, while most (not all) methods of advertising on the Internet tend to be quite annoying.

It would be interesting to understand what the Internet ads did wrong that the traditional ads did right.

How do you feel, comparing traditional advertising to Internet advertising?

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:41 pm

Newfie wrote: As for me, I find TV/Radio/Newspaper advertising to be enjoyable, while most (not all) methods of advertising on the Internet tend to be quite annoying.

You know it costs allot to advertise on TV? TV/Radio/Newspaper are the ones that affect the most but also the ones that cost ALLOT.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

beatme101

Post by beatme101 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:47 pm

Bah, I hate most ads, on television, radio, and internet. Sadly I can only block the ads on the internet. I despise the ads on the internet, they are annoying and their purpose is to distract me from the page's content. I despise TV and radio ads because they are just really thoroughly annoying. They try to be funny and invariably fail so horribly that I usually just turn off the TV/radio. (I don't usually go through the newspaper so I have no opinion on those ads ;))

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: Advertising

Post by battye » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:29 pm

Newfie wrote: Have you noticed that traditional advertising has a far better reputation than Internet advertising?

Except for late night television advertising, which is utter garbage, I think non-internet advertising on the whole has a better reputation simply because it is more effective.

On the internet, you can use ad-blockers and popup blockers, because once they're installed, nothing more is required for the end user to do. TV commercials for instance, well, some people do change channels when they're on, but a lot of people don't, especially during major sporting events, season finales etc.
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D

lurttinen
Translator
Name: Martti Lokka

Post by lurttinen » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:54 pm

Also the ads on newspapers partially pays the paper for you.
Printing a magazine, newspaper, etc... Is very expensive process and you wouldnt get it as cheap you are getting it right now.

Also the ads are main revenue for TVs. You would also need to pay higher fees watching it if they would not be able to get ads displayed to cover the costs.

As allways, there is no such thing as free lunch...
Signature is here

Newfie

Post by Newfie » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:16 am

lurttinen wrote: Printing a magazine, newspaper, etc... Is very expensive process and you wouldnt get it as cheap you are getting it right now.

Yeah, I was wondering why the Telegram was only 75 cents normally and the giant important weekly issue was only $1.50. I thought they just wanted to sell more of them quickly.

rick`

Post by rick` » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:22 pm

Thing is that normal advertising can't be abused like it is on the internet.
There's regulations for real-life as to what companies can and can't do.

OneLung

Post by OneLung » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:18 pm

Last night I watched this really cool movie on the SciFi channel where a very attractive woman was exposed to a experimental bio-chemical weapon and acquired supernatural powers which she used to blow-up lots of things and kill several bad-guys. It was entertaining at a time when I had absolutely nothing better to do and wasn't sleepy.

If it wasn't for Progressive Insurance, Procter-&-Gamble, Kraft Foods and a few others, the producers of that "made for TV" movie would have had no incentive to create it and there would be no SciFi channel. Have you ever watched anything on PBS? That's what TV would look like without commercial advertisers. Do you remember what the typical Web page looked like in 1990? That's what they would still look like without the contribution of commercial advertisers. I wouldn't buy some miracle wrinkle remover cream, but I do buy countless useful products. You have to rely on your common sense to determine what to buy or not. This has nothing to do with the Internet; you have to do that at the store too.

Television has the ability to appeal to your senses of hearing and vision with very high-quality, life-like animation. Internet advertising is basically restricted to printed words and crude animation. It's much harder to create effective advertising for the Internet, but the same rules still apply. Google is NOT a non-profit organization. If it weren't for "paid" advertisers, they would have no incentive to purchase millions of dollars in technology and employ 1000's of people world-wide.

If you want to help the Internet evolve, try buying something besides an ad-blocker. Do your banking and make purchases using your debit/credit card and let UPS bring it to your door instead of driving 20 minutes to get there and standing in line for 20 minutes to checkout. With your help, we can turn all Wal-Marts into indoor ice-skating rinks. :)

OneLung

Post by OneLung » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:19 pm

Last night I watched this really cool movie on the SciFi channel where a very attractive woman was exposed to a experimental bio-chemical weapon and acquired supernatural powers which she used to blow-up lots of things and kill several bad-guys. It was entertaining at a time when I had absolutely nothing better to do and wasn't sleepy.

If it wasn't for Progressive Insurance, Procter-&-Gamble, Kraft Foods and a few others, the producers of that "made for TV" movie would have had no incentive to create it and there would be no SciFi channel. Have you ever watched anything on PBS? That's what TV would look like without commercial advertisers. Do you remember what the typical Web page looked like in 1990? That's what they would still look like without the contribution of commercial advertisers. I wouldn't buy some miracle wrinkle remover cream, but I do buy countless useful products. You have to rely on your common sense to determine what to buy or not. This has nothing to do with the Internet; you have to do that at the store too.

Television has the ability to appeal to your senses of hearing and vision with very high-quality, life-like animation. Internet advertising is basically restricted to printed words and crude animation. It's much harder to create effective advertising for the Internet, but the same rules still apply. Google is NOT a non-profit organization. If it weren't for "paid" advertisers, they would have no incentive to purchase millions of dollars in technology and employ 1000's of people world-wide.

If you want to help the Internet evolve, try buying something besides an ad-blocker. Do your banking and make purchases using your debit/credit card and let UPS bring it to your door instead of driving 20 minutes to get there and standing in line for 20 minutes to checkout. With your help, we can turn all Wal-Marts into indoor ice-skating rinks. :)

OneLung

Post by OneLung » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:20 pm

thailca

Post by thailca » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:27 am

hello I just start to making web advertisement and I think it is great to be able to reach the exact customer actively seeking for right information la.
http://www.allaboutadtips.com
------------------------------------
http://www.thailca.th.gs
------------------------------------

nlcaldwell

Post by nlcaldwell » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:29 pm

Part of the reason behind why TV and radio advertisements are more effective and more entertaining is simply because they have been around for much longer and advertisers have had more time to study what does and does not work. The internet, on the other hand, has only had advertising for not really even 10 years yet; it wasn't until 1998 that companies began making ad campaigns for just the net, and those ad campaigns sucked at first.

Internet advertising is getting more effective as it develops. For one, I'm seeing a whole lot less of those animated ads that are like mini-games ('cept on MySpace), and I'm seeing a lot more of context related ads (such as google adsense).

Also, what works for TV and radio will not always work on the net. What are entertaining jingles during a commercial break, for instance, are annoying when browsing the web.

Give it another eight years, and I'm sure that by then internet advertising will be on par quality wise with TV and radio.
Code is poetry.

Also, poetry is poetry.

trc

ad

Post by trc » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:34 am

internet ad is far ahead than tv ads. but i hate pop ups and adware style advertisement.

webhosting.uk.com

Post by webhosting.uk.com » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:27 am

Yep, there are few advantages of internet advertising over traditional advertising. Internet advertising is cheaper, huge and targeted. It has a lower entry-level fees and enables good conversion tracking but still I would suggest that it should not replace the whole marketing strategy though it should be included as one of the aspects of your marketing strategy.
Web Hosting | Dedicated Server | VPS Hosting | cPanel Hosting
Email : sales @ webhosting.uk.com
Toll Free: 0808-262-0855

Ryan_W

Post by Ryan_W » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:05 pm

Internet Advertising has one very big advantage over Traditional Advertising and that is interactivity. In Internet Advertising you can have interactive ads that behave differently based on visitor's behavior.

Return to “General Discussion”