Advertising

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
gavpedz

Post by gavpedz » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:45 pm

so what advertising worked best for your forum i need members

WebGal

Post by WebGal » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:46 am

I, too, would like to know what has worked as far as the rest of you in terms of getting members to your forums. I have some ideas but I'd like to hear from veterans. I'm still in early development so I don't care if I have none right now. But I'm thinking down the road.

I worked in the creative department at an ad agency for many years and still write some ads although I've moved more towards the internet. I made up television and radio commercials as well as print campaigns.

Traditional advertising is very expensive--more $$ is spent in media exposure than in production. But there are some small newspapers that are effective in reaching your audience that are not so costly. For example, one nike tv ad can have a budget of 2 million. I think my best tv ad was a public service one that cost $25.

A good, humorous all type low cost print ad can be more effective than one in which you have poured gallons in production money. So it's important to give some thought to your concept and your market and to make one single salient point. Keep in clean, too. Crowded ads are less inviting. But trust me, even BAD advertising works well. It's your placement that is the most important. Creative ads do get more attention.

Internet advertising can be measured easily, traditional advertising cannot although you will find those who claim it to be.

Internet ads can be targeted to your market more directly and offer instant access. With TV, you have a more captive audience than you do with the intenet. You have to make a point quicker with internet advertising. No one is going to sit there like a lump on a log while you use up a 30 second slot. You got 3 seconds or less in an internet ad.

I could go on and on but I won't.

So what has worked best for all of you in terms of generating traffic to your forums. (besides xml and url site maps)

Kurgano

Post by Kurgano » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:25 am

Content is king, believe it!

Why did you come here? because of an ad ? nope, because of the great content.

Why would someone go to your forum ? because of your great ads leading them there ? nope, because you offer something special.

Personality, being first in a subject area, free stuff, being the official site for something, being an authority figure in your given topic... theres more but those are good reasons people will visit. What are you offering and do people want it? if not, no ads will help. Word of mouth and search engines work better than advertising but it takes work to earn those.

Ads make the world go round AFTER you make the world (cyberworld in this case). The thing is those ads will lead OFF your site and bring you cash to pay for your costs.

You don't have to be the best, just better than the competition and it doesn't hurt to have something original. Copying the next guy rarely works for long. Caring about the subject your site is about, being knowledgable, helpful and friendly, providing a needed service etc... those are worth more than any advertising in the long run.

I recommend google adsense for starters, its fast, easy and highly targeted which gives you more time for content. When you're established people will contact you and ask to pay you to advertise with you.
My Stuff: AtvStyle.com (5 forums in one) | dogonit style (adsense friendly)
My areas of interest: Custom Forums, W3C Validation, Forum SEO and other fun things people rarely notice.

WebGal

Post by WebGal » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:49 pm

I, too, believe that content is the key and offering something above and beyond. That is in the plan. I am bringing in the experts I've worked with over the years, but I think the adword campaign is what I was thinking I would start off with when I have things in place. I also think I need the experts in place and introduced so there is credibility.

I think an ad can only bring someone somewhere once. If you don't have something to show, they won't return.

So I have another few weeks of work, getting the experts from a number of different diciplines verified and letting them know what they can get out of it as well. (got some MODS to upload, pages to add etc)

I had some ideas for word of mouth. I also thought I'd look into advertising at my local gym and share the info with my runner's club.

Free stuff? That's something I had not thought of and will give it some thought. That's a good idea.

The search engine part I've actually become quite good at. I've managed to get a few clients from page one thousand to page one but it does take time and work to do so. It will be different promoting a forum versus an ecommerce site.

Has anyone felt that an RSS feed has made a big difference?

I appreciate your input.

Ryan_W

Post by Ryan_W » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:26 pm

Offering free stuff does help a forum in gaining momentum but you need to have some sort of quality control system in place to make sure that only quality posts get rewarded as generally offering free stuff for forum posts mostly attracts school kids and under-age webmasters who make quick 'hi hello' and 'thanks, great stuff' kind of posts to get the reward.

WebGal

Post by WebGal » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:44 pm

Good point

Kurgano

Post by Kurgano » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:46 pm

I wasn't refering to rewarding people for posting. I was reffering to offering things for free in general. In my case free styles and help, for others it may be free T-shirts for other achievments (besides posting). On other sites the content is a free service... such as how to sites etc.

I used to love RSS feeds with my first sites but recently I find that they draw the wrong sort (people looking to create adsense sites with my content). The best use of RSS feeds in my opinion is to send data from forums to other pages of your own site... such as "the latest 5 posts" etc. Another good use is to create an archive of threads but be careful with this if its done automaticaly. Duplicate content hurts. Also, if you send rss content to other sections of your own site make sure its html based, search engines won't read java so java readers won't work.

Trial and error, you'll always be experimenting... at least you should be :)
My Stuff: AtvStyle.com (5 forums in one) | dogonit style (adsense friendly)
My areas of interest: Custom Forums, W3C Validation, Forum SEO and other fun things people rarely notice.

WebGal

Post by WebGal » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:04 am

I agree that it changes up quickly and am a firm believer in experimenting.

That gives me some ideas to chew on regarding the definition of free. It would be weird to offer a prize just for posting. That isn't my style. The sensationalist approach is not my style either unless I'm making fun of it. But I do like to have fun and something fun with humor would be more like what I would look into (I haven't any idea what that would be right now).

Thanks for the info on RSS and what you use it for.

I've done web development for many years, ecommerce and brochure sites, but this is my first forum. I figured I'd ask some questions from those who've done it a while. I appreciate your response.

gobbledygookie

Post by gobbledygookie » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:24 am

I hate internet ads... speaking of which, that phpbb advertisement make me so MAD! remove it you pagans!!!

:)

Apoxol
I've Been Banned!

Post by Apoxol » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:29 am

gobbledygookie wrote: I hate internet ads... speaking of which, that phpbb advertisement make me so MAD! remove it you pagans!!!

:)

Well, If I may butt in, advertising is a good thing when your just starting a business,Club,Site,Forum ect...

:wink:

beatme101

Post by beatme101 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:21 pm

Apoxol wrote: Well, If I may butt in, advertising is a good thing when your just starting a business,Club,Site,Forum ect...

:wink:

A good thing on the condition that it is not intrusive or distracting. Moving ads (whether just animated or they actually move over top of the content and sometimes even follow your scrolling), are not the way to go. Everyone I know, obviously me too (Unless I've blocked them with my ad blocker, but that's another story.), will leave any web site that uses ads that move around the page. Text-only (or to a lesser extent still-image) ads are the best way to go unless you don't want repeat visitors.

Return to “General Discussion”