Pluto - A Planet no more

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:50 am

Vanderloogen wrote: I think it's just about a group of dudes who want to make a name for themselves

lol that may or may not be true, but your comment cracked me up! :lol:
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:20 am

Vanderloogen wrote: I think it's just about a group of dudes who want to make a name for themselves

Yes, a consortium of every professional astronomer in the world is "just some dudes". :roll:

sempai

Post by sempai » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:45 am

In my country where are live in, most of the Science books who has a topic on the solar system and Pluto even those recently published will have to be revised (all of them) and probably costs a lot. Some of the old Science teachers have mixed reactions that are used to the old planetary system but had no choice by to comply. :)
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure Fan Site
http://dualfans.host.sk

niksa

Post by niksa » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:50 am

sempai wrote: In my country where are live in, most of the Science books who has a topic on the solar system and Pluto even those recently published will have to be revised (all of them) and probably costs a lot. Some of the old Science teachers have mixed reactions that are used to the old planetary system but had no choice by to comply. :)

Science continually changes. It's probably a good thing to update the textbooks anyway - many more things can be added, revised, removed - it's more accurate.

Besides... even if they can't afford it, how hard is it to say "Skip the part with pluto" or "add the word 'dwarf' before all mentions of 'planet' in Pluto's section"? It's not like Pluto's section was ever very large in any common school textbook. 8)

Natan

Post by Natan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:17 pm

While this may be another topic in of itself, I wouldnt' worry about them having to make new textbooks. Their whole business is based on the fact that they create new editions approximately ever 2.5 years.
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."

Return to “General Discussion”