How many members did you have before your forum took off?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
j007jim007

Re: How many members did you have before your forum took off?

Post by j007jim007 »

ryan1918dotcom wrote:
j007jim007 wrote:Target your audiences to get more users. dont use other forums to try and plug your sites.

I have just passed 2600 users which is a good sign but when porting over to the new RC2 i expect the number to drop and clear out unactivated accounts.

Did you take a look at your signature? Because your doing exactly what you say not to do?

Maybe I'm confused? Hehe..

Also I have a tip for you, if you take it or not, but you should make your forums look a lot better get rid of them affiliate links and put them on another page, then have that link at the top, in bold or whatnot that way it doesn't look very bloated and most people hate ads/banners just fills up things that don't need to be there, I won't ever put more then one ad on my site, I'm sure others won't do this but You should really make it user friendly!

Just a tip don't get offended.
LOL,

i only have that there so people who are helping me out with code or users who want to see my site can take a look. Just like yours really. I'm not after visitors from this site. just help guidance and advice and where possible returning advice to other users to help develop my knowledge.

Anyway ryan - drop me a pm i'd like to chat to you about your new venture.

Its also nice to know with the new phpbb when a bot is visiting your site. I've checked out my site at the moment and its getting regular visits from the bots... so they are indexing my new site already.
http://www.laxforums.co.uk
Bringing Lacrosse Players Together
6000+ Users and growing!!
WordPress Integration about to go live.

gassnerj

Post by gassnerj »

As I have been reading this topic I have noticed that for some people it took months or even longer for their forum to take off. Having said that, I have tried this forum thing in the past, but I didn't have the patience then. I have since decided to do just the forum and not have anything extra until later. Before I had integrated Coppermine and a few other add-ons. My forum is basically just general discussion. You can post in various forums and topics. Ranging from Sports to Technology. I'm hoping that this approach will gain me more users. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. My site has been up for a few days now, and I'm trying to get my friends involved, make some moderators, some admins. I also setup my ranks, the post count for some of the higher ranks is fairly ridiculous, but I do offer a hundred bucks for the first person who achieves the highest rank. I am hoping that will get members to post.
//signed//
Jason aka byrd, aka Mr. Bean

Jhong

Post by Jhong »

The way to get people to post and check back often is to give them a vested interest -- get them to post something that will have them coming back again to check responses. Photo galleries and photo competitions are easy. Polls. Threads where people are drawn into stating their opinon. Blogs... Playing Devils Advocate... Anything that encourages people to make that initial leap.
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com

Liquinn

Post by Liquinn »

I own pretty a 40K forum, and it's still going :)
Going to spain again on the 17th to the 24th of August 2008 after I leave school, so probably won't be around as much during that one week period.

tjbadalex

Post by tjbadalex »

i have over 3000 members and theres only about 1500 that r posters

Crazy-S

Post by Crazy-S »

I have a forum set up for a specific cause. I have only had it going for around 5 months now and could be well over 400 members, but I keep purging(deleting) 0 posters. Right now I have 194 members who 99% are posters. So to say I have a 99% active member rate is a great thing. You need a forum with a purpose in mind and it needs to fill a void. I know of several candy wrapper forums around, but they are all losing members from lack of administration and leadership.

You need to show your members you want to be a part of the forums and help make it strong. I have found that by working with your members making them part of the decision making process you will have good followers and they will stick with you through rough times...

Basically you need to provide a service when a service is needed.

Provide interaction with your members, give them something to do and make comments on.
Also have full forums, do not add forums unless there is a need for them.
Visit Crazy-Software.com for some great personalized gift making software!

Like Personalized candy Wrappers? Then visit Our Community

holy dog

Post by holy dog »

LOL. We are having too many posts while you guys are desperate for posts. Well really you just nned ppl to know that you have a forum up and running. Most of the ppl just forget the URL so make it catchy. O, have other topics too. Have gaming clans use your forum as there base is bound to be good for you post counts. Just watch out for spammers. We had a recent one that become admin via hacking and fully trashed it. Took me three hours to clean everything up...... :( :( :( :(
The dog will pwn you.....

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

It took about 60 members for my forum to start going, but there have been ups and downs even since then.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

Sandrus

Post by Sandrus »

I think my (first) forum now has about 9 members, and I'm actually the only one who is posting. :roll: Isn't that sad?

mals69

Re:

Post by mals69 »

silver360 wrote:I run a 30 something forum that launched about 1.5-2 years ago. It has taken a while but now I think it is starting to take off. My advice is not to give up on it early on.....

Currently we have about 120 members....of which I would say 30 post on a regular basis. It was about about 50 users that I felt the site really started to expand fast. Also, you don't want to grow too fast. It's better to get quality posters then just quantity of members.
Agree, Have quality content and growth will follow like night follows day, I come to this site for information not to win an ipod.
I made up a add to favourite buttons and set as home page buttons to start with, took them off the other day, noted in the Aleixa rating the top sites in the world most do not have them, their content is that good people do it automatically.
I'm right away from things that make the forum look desperate for new members, if we have to buy people in some form to join we would rather not have a forum.

Excellent topic thank you - re-assuring some of the shared experiences are the norm. :)

location, location, location in the real estate industry - content content content with forums.

episode

Post by episode »

Going back to the adding of an RSS feed to your forum...

When I first began creating web sites I used this web builder we will call "X's lame, web page creator" that came with the hosting service that was just based on commands that you would select from a few drop down menus on the top of the builder then click and drag (all mouse-functions) items where you want to go. they had a blog element to use and it supported RSS feeds and the like depending on your "site feed URL" that you have entered. I tell you, it was the most basic application I've used in my 10 years of being my own web designer (<EYEROLL>).

I know this issue has nothing to do with this forum topic, but my point was that, even way back in 1997 I used a wide variety of RSS feeds to get hit counts to rise and to keep myself up to date with traffic while hits grew.

My advice? A must have for a premature forum to grow. Most definately.

Last thought: Now...If only someone can direct me to the proper forum to address adding an RSS feed to pbpbb rc3.0/4.0 I would greatly appreciate it. And that's a yes. I'm being serious.

-episode

mals69

Re:

Post by mals69 »

tifoso wrote:my happy bad of mumblers are now upto 94, this is after three months, we have posted over 35000 posts (actually showing is 21000 because of me mucking up the pruning!) i have really found once you have a core 2o posters then you site will increase fairly well.
I like a laid back self moderating style and these guys feel comfy with it and i have had to ban one member for miss use of the PM system, there was a little hooha about it but they understood.
i have a good understandable and fair list of guidelines, that shouldnt be ignored and shoudl be tweeked every now and again.
once every to weeks i do a little update of facts and figures via the mass pm, ie amount of posts, new member etc. this has bought back several memebers who quite frankly forgot they had signed up.
I like to listen to their needs and put up new smilies every now and again and have just recently changed the skin, we are running a comp at the mo to decide on a banner, variety and little changes are the key and of course a subject that people want to discuss, if you havent got a suggestion box then i suggest you do, 94 ideas are better than just one!!

cheers tifoso
How is a mass PM done please ? Have used bulk email.

Cheers :)

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Re: Re:

Post by Jim_UK »

mals69 wrote: How is a mass PM done please ? Have used bulk email.

Cheers :)
Off topic - please see the Userguide for this http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/2.0/

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

ScrapbookSupplies

Post by ScrapbookSupplies »

Jim_UK wrote:Going off topic.
Back on track please.

Jim
I'm sorry Jim, I wasn't trying to navigate off topic. My question to ryan1918dotcom was to learn more about the reason why his site gains & retains so many members, I was wondering if his site had content that drew people in or was about a certain subject matter (a hot topic) - wondering if he had something on his site that we could mimic within ours. No ill intention on my part. :)

Jeanne

eUKhost.com

Post by eUKhost.com »

I suppose with Mass PM'ing he was referring to PM'ing all the existing members with the information on the most popular threads, number of new threads and posts made in the last week/month etc.

Return to “General Discussion”